Universal Love Darren Burgess football fitness academy

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So he leaves us in the lurch for the 2nd time. First time was mid preseason and he had a decent reason, his mum died and he wanted to be closer to his dad based in Sydney.

Now we are mid season, pushing for finals and the flag and he leaves for money. **** him, he could have waited to the end of the season. Soccer players don't need a preseason as they play for 9-10 months and if they are any good they play world cup qualifiers in June and July.

Don't kid yourself everyone is in it for the money it's 2017.. ken Hinkley didn't rub his hands together when Primus was sacked untill he saw the pay cheque

Don't kid yourself everyone is in it for the money it's 2017.. ken Hinkley didn't run his hands together when Primus was sacked untill he saw the pay cheque
I'm not kidding myself. I know he left for the money. I knew he would leave at sometime. Its the leaving mid season that I'm pissed off about. He has a contract. I *en hope it doesnt have an out to return to EPL like assistant coaches have an out if they get a senior job.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Won't be any pay out. It would be like any other contract, Port would have to agree to ending the contract and it's not likely they won't after all who wants someone who would rather be somewhere else.
I hope we make him pay us to break it. After all he will be on a mint at Arsenal and he has left us in the lurch again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They're probably in just as much shock as us...

When Darren replied to a fan on Twitter about the rumour he denied it via a private message.. probably didn't want the club to know.

In hindsight, that response to RossFC was overly defensive ...

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even if it isn't with us, he'd easily be able to get a head of fitness position in the AFL if he wants to go back.
Why would they, his the most flakey fitness coach ever.

2017 - Arsenal.
2013 - 2017 – Port Adelaide Football Club (AFL) high performance manager
2010 – 2012 Liverpool Football Club (EPL) head of fitness and conditioning
2008 – 2010 Football Federation of Australia head of sports science, including 2010 World Cup with Australia.
2005 – 2007 Port Adelaide Football Club (AFL) head of high performance
2002 – 2004 Parramatta Power (National Soccer League) head fitness coach
2004 Olympics with Australian soccer team (video analyst)
1997 – 2000 Sydney Swans Football Club (AFL) assistant fitness coach

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks to Burgo for his services and for making us that super fit team in 2013 and 14.

However, this might not necessarily be a bad thing. We've been a shadow of that 13/14 team in terms of fitness. I'll always remember a conversation I had with a bloke at Alberton in 2013 who said that Burgess was only good for no more than 3-4 years. That slowly turned out to be true.

Was it January 2008 he left the first time and that evaporated our fitness base? How can we prevent that from happening again?

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks to Burgo for his services and for making us that super fit team in 2013 and 14.

However, this might not necessarily be a bad thing. We've been a shadow of that 13/14 team in terms of fitness. I'll always remember a conversation I had with a bloke at Alberton in 2013 who said that Burgess was only good for no more than 3-4 years. That slowly turned out to be true.

Was it January 2008 he left the first time and that evaporated our fitness base? How can we prevent that from happening again?

We are more resourced, so it shouldn't be hard to find a capable replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 22, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He'll be offered at least 5 x the money he's on
Get stuffed Arsene, this is all your fault :mad: :p

This is bullcrap though, to take him back after he's done it to us before give him more money than any other head of fitness in the AFL only for him to do it again what a s**t bloke.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wonder what Tony will be doing now.

Tony Colbert

Position Fitness coach
Born May 29, 1963, Paddington

Qualifications BSc/MSc Sport and Exercise Science, FA Fitness Trainer Award, Certified SAQ Trainer, Certified ACSM Health/Fitness Instructor, NCFC Teaching Certificate, Future Fit: Advanced Personal Trainer

Joined Arsenal July 1998

Tony’s role in overseeing the players’ fitness and conditioning is a crucial one, and has been throughout his 16 years with the club.

An expert in football-specific fitness, he draws up detailed, tailored plans for every player before and during each season, as well as undertaking long hours of rehab work with injured first-team squad members. Many players have been quick to praise his attention to detail and guiding influence upon their recoveries from long-term injury.

His work has helped make Arsenal one of the fittest sides in Europe, something borne out each season by the number of late goals the team scores. Prior to joining the Gunners early in Arsène Wenger’s reign, Tony worked with a wide range of different sportspeople and gained vast experience in the field.

He will be instrumental once more this season as Arsenal seek to steal a march on their rivals through the quality of treatment all their players receive.

Shame on us. Doubt we'll be dipping in for a 3rd stint.

We just can't compete when an EPL club throws the big $$$. Time to clean house in the fitness dep. Find someone good Ports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back