Universal Love Darren Burgess football fitness academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread needs a poll to see who's happy and who's sad about this.

I, personally, am completely fine. Seems like most people are.

Ok Burgo is going now we have to protect the academy and the arrangements we have set up with unis and other sports institutes. Burgo apparently is still doing consultancy work with Port and one would hope it relates to the programs we have set up with these unis and sports institutes

So these are the two head guys after Burgo. Their description comes from their twitter account and their CV from Linkedin is also linked.

Ian McKeown Head of Athletic Development at Port Adelaide FC, PhD, ASCC (UKSCA), Professional Coach (ASCA).
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ian-mckeown-a5551625/

Stuart Graham Head of Sports Science @PAFC previous, Sports Physiologist @Ausport.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/stuart-graham-708a6543/

One of them will probably be good enough to step up you would think and you then replace them with a solid performer in their field.

We have the AIS and the state institutes we could raid. We go and find out who is a star performer and wants a new challenge.

This guy worked with Choco before we got Burgo got to Port in the early 2000's but he went the academic route rather than working full time with a sports club. I talked about him in the Can't kick, can't play football thread the other week. Professor Damian Farrow is a skills acquisition expert. Maybe we ask him to manager the relationships with the different unis, he brings his skill acquisition and works with our players to acquire better skills - we need kicking skill acquisition, and someone else does the more practical fitness stuff.

https://www.vu.edu.au/contact-us/damian-farrow

We go and talk to Andrew Russell and bugger it if he has a contract we offer him a s**t load of $$$ and we offer some of this academy/uni stuff. If assistant coaches can tear up contracts to become head coaches, then why cant head fitness blokes tear up contracts to offer something more than just head of the fitness department? Make it bigger enough so he can break his contract.

Would you take gymnastics coach over sprint?
I wouldn't take either as the head guy but I would get both involved. A sprints coach should be used extensively during preseason and tune ups during the season. The same with a gymnastics coach. But they are teaching techniques rather than the overall fitness program.

Male gymnasts have the great combination of strength and power + flexibility, probably the greatest of any sport, so working with a gymnastics coach would work, but used in a similar method to a sprints coach.

A
Ok Burgo is going now we have to protect the academy and the arrangements we have set up with unis and other sports institutes. Burgo apparently is still doing consultancy work with Port and one would hope it relates to the programs we have set up with these unis and sports institutes

So these are the two head guys after Burgo. Their description comes from their twitter account and their CV from Linkedin is also linked.

Ian McKeown Head of Athletic Development at Port Adelaide FC, PhD, ASCC (UKSCA), Professional Coach (ASCA).
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ian-mckeown-a5551625/

Stuart Graham Head of Sports Science @PAFC previous, Sports Physiologist @Ausport.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/stuart-graham-708a6543/

One of them will probably be good enough to step up you would think and you then replace them with a solid performer in their field.

We have the AIS and the state institutes we could raid. We go and find out who is a star performer and wants a new challenge.

This guy worked with Choco before we got Burgo got to Port in the early 2000's but he went the academic route rather than working full time with a sports club. I talked about him in the Can't kick, can't play football thread the other week. Professor Damian Farrow is a skills acquisition expert. Maybe we ask him to manager the relationships with the different unis, he brings his skill acquisition and works with our players to acquire better skills - we need kicking skill acquisition, and someone else does the more practical fitness stuff.

https://www.vu.edu.au/contact-us/damian-farrow

We go and talk to Andrew Russell and bugger it if he has a contract we offer him a s**t load of $$$ and we offer some of this academy/uni stuff. If assistant coaches can tear up contracts to become head coaches, then why cant head fitness blokes tear up contracts to offer something more than just head of the fitness department? Make it bigger enough so he can break his contract.
Arsenal give us compensation as suggested and we use it to get someone of quality.

Thread needs a poll to see who's happy and who's sad about this.

I, personally, am completely fine. Seems like most people are.
I am not happy that he is leaving mid season. It leaves us in the lurch to find a long time replacement before the end of the footy season.

If it was between 30th September and 31st October I would be Ok with it and the chance to find a new head of high performance team and hopefully head off in a better direction.

Last edited:
A

Arsenal give us compensation as suggested and we use it to get someone of quality.
Yes we seek breach of contract compo. It would be peanuts for them but we fight for compo.

I am not happy that he is leaving mid season. If leaves us in the lurch to find a long time replacement before the end of the footy season.

If it was between 30th September and 31st October I would be Ok with it and the chance to find a new head of high performance team and hopefully head off in a better direction.
Fortunately it wasn't leading up to the China game.

I wouldn't take either as the head guy but I would get both involved. A sprints coach should be used extensively during preseason and tune ups during the season. The same with a gymnastics coach. But they are teaching techniques rather than the overall fitness program.

Male gymnasts have the great combination of strength and power + flexibility, probably the greatest of any sport, so working with a gymnastics coach would work, but used in a similar method to a sprints coach.
I am with you - I feel gymnastic methods provide great functional strength and movement insights.
I wouldn't go as far as getting an 'Ido Portal' type, but a coach who could provide drills as part of base development would be great.
Definitely wouldn't take either as a head S&C coach unless they had a broad and deep science background behind them.

I will put stuff relating to Burgo specifically in this thread and stuff about our general set up of the fitness department and academy and relationship with uni's and sports institutes in the other thread

From June 2014 - we stitched him up until the end of 2018. I have cut and pasted the bit where they discussed the academy and partnership set up with Uni SA.

The question is, who pays compo for Burgo breaking his deal 16 months early?? Burgo or Arsenal? Do we stop any fight for compo because he will still have an important role to play with the relationships we have set up with the Unis and sports institutes and to avoid them going nowhere he stays on as a consult to help manage them??

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-06-17/burgess-extends-contract-until-2018
PORT Adelaide High Performance Manager Darren Burgess has signed a three-year contract extension that will ensure he remains at Alberton until at least the end of 2018.
Port Adelaide Chief Executive Keith Thomas says the contract extension for Burgess is recognition of the outstanding impact he has had at Port Adelaide over the last 18 months.
Mr Thomas says that Burgess will also play an important role in the club’s new high performance partnership with the University of South Australia announced last week. “Darren is an important part of our strategy for Port Adelaide and South Australia to become a global focal point for developing high performance coaches and research,” said Mr Thomas. “He will take on a leadership role within this program and help establish the high performance curriculum and maximise our broader relationship with UniSA. “Most significantly, Darren will play an integral role in taking our high performance program to other sports and its healthy living messages to disadvantaged communities and the aged. “And the real beauty of Darren’s role in this unique partnership is that there will be learning both ways. Not only will UniSA benefit from Darren’s involvement but Port Adelaide will be at a significant advantage as he will bring the knowledge he learns back into our high performance program.”
Burgess says he is also thrilled to play a role in the club’s high performance partnership with the University of South Australia. “The high performance partnership with UniSA is a really significant step for the club and the industry as a whole,” said Burgess. “This is a very extensive arrangement that will continue to evolve and I look forward to playing a leadership role in directing the research into appropriate pathways and working with lecturers and PHD students on the future direction of high performance. “Significantly, I’ll be able to apply the high performance framework and knowledge that I acquire from this partnership into the high performance program here at Port Adelaide.”[/QUOTE]

I have taken this from the other thread but reckon its more appropriate to discuss here

Here you go, get one of these people:

382403_d059f225aa1d2166ba38e83ad9424485.png

Oh wait, we already have one of them - his name is Ian McKeown, and he was rated higher than Burgess.

Whilst that list isnt the be all and end all of list of world class sports science guys, number 8 on that list Ross Tucker PHD is worth the club talking to. I have been reading his stuff since around the time of the 2007 IAAF World Athletics Championship when his website was in its infancy. I have posted plenty of his stuff along with his co-founder Jonathan Dugas PHD on big footy be it in athtletics, cycling, footy or other sports threads over the last decade. See
http://sportsscientists.com/

Tucker is a combo of academic sports scientist plus doing plenty of practical work with sports bodies in his home of South Africa and around the world. He is working with World Rugby at the moment. Tucker's profile is at http://sportsscientists.com/who-are-we/

He might not be the guy to directly replace Burgo as the head guy, but if we are to make these links with Uni's around China, Oz and the rest of the world, he could be an interesting guy in charge of that.

Another reason to keep this thread going but maybe change the name.

Now I read this article from the club when I was in China about the partnership with UniSa and the 2 Shandong sports science bodies.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-05-13/port-signs-mou-with-three-research-institutions
PORT ADELAIDE has signed a memorandum of understanding with the University of South Australia and two sports science institutions in China. The strategic collaboration agreement between Port Adelaide, UniSA, Shandong Sports University and the Shandong Research Centre of Sports Science will open up opportunities to develop world-leading sports science research for all parties through collaborations in teaching, research, education, experiential learning and placement opportunities.
The University of South Australia's Pro Vice-Chancellor of Health Sciences Professor Robert Vink also praised the new partnership. "The agreement we are signing has immediate and long term goals but will sure up some great opportunities for collaboration with two of the best sports science educators in China in the SRCSS and SSU,” Professor Vink said. “This initiative builds on our already strong relationship with Port Adelaide and opens up new opportunities to grow expertise in elite coaching and athlete training and the science that supports elite sports performance, from exercise physiology and dietetics, through to physiotherapy and sports psychology.....
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-05-13/port-signs-mou-with-three-research-institutions

So I knew this was going to become a decent initiative down the track, but I didn't read this article by Rooch on the same day fleshing it out more and further strengthens my belief that maybe we need to look at getting in 2 guys to run this whole program. One to replace some of Burgo's practical teachings and being head of high performance for the footy team and someone of a more academic caliber to run the academy.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/2af40cfbaa29e88930e15f13994e9395
PORT Adelaide intends to build a centre of sports science excellence at Alberton by 2020 on the back of a new deal signed in China on Saturday. The Power and the State Government, with the University of SA, have locked an agreement with the Shandong Sports Institute, one of the key components of the successful Chinese Olympic program.
Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas has described the partnership with the Shandong sports academy — that produced 54 Olympic athletes for Rio last year and four Olympic gold medals — as “turbocharging” the Power’s push into China with sports science. “And this will keep us at the forefront of sports science,” Thomas said in Shanghai. “Ultimately, we see a dedicated sports centre of excellence at Alberton for this program. And the benefits of having our club associated with an Olympic program are enormous.”

The Shandong sports bureau will have two of its high-performance managers on the Port Adelaide bench during Sunday’s match at Jiangwan Stadium. The Power will send one of its physiotherapists to Shandong for a two-week exchange next month and Port Adelaide wants to host one of the Chinese national teams at its Alberton base in October. Thomas expects Port Adelaide ultimately to find a commercial benefit from being an internationally recognised sports training hub.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/2af40cfbaa29e88930e15f13994e9395

So Burgo goes away for 5 years makes $5-$10mil then comes back to be the academic/administrative head of this new academy??? Depends on what he does to help the club out in between time. i don't want him back running the footy day to day fitness stuff, but 5 years down the track he could be the right guy to head this academy up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another reason to keep this thread going but maybe change the name.

Now I read this article from the club when I was in China about the partnership with UniSa and the 2 Shandong sports science bodies.

So I knew this was going to become a decent initiative down the track, but I didn't read this article by Rooch on the same day fleshing it out more and further strengthens my belief that maybe we need to look at getting in 2 guys to run this whole program. One to replace some of Burgo's practical teachings and being head of high performance for the footy team and someone of a more academic caliber to run the academy.

PORT Adelaide intends to build a centre of sports science excellence at Alberton by 2020 on the back of a new deal signed in China on Saturday. The Power and the State Government, with the University of SA, have locked an agreement with the Shandong Sports Institute, one of the key components of the successful Chinese Olympic program.
Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas has described the partnership with the Shandong sports academy — that produced 54 Olympic athletes for Rio last year and four Olympic gold medals — as “turbocharging” the Power’s push into China with sports science. “And this will keep us at the forefront of sports science,” Thomas said in Shanghai. “Ultimately, we see a dedicated sports centre of excellence at Alberton for this program. And the benefits of having our club associated with an Olympic program are enormous.”

The Shandong sports bureau will have two of its high-performance managers on the Port Adelaide bench during Sunday’s match at Jiangwan Stadium. The Power will send one of its physiotherapists to Shandong for a two-week exchange next month and Port Adelaide wants to host one of the Chinese national teams at its Alberton base in October. Thomas expects Port Adelaide ultimately to find a commercial benefit from being an internationally recognised sports training hub.

So Burgo goes away for 5 years makes $5-$10mil then comes back to be the academic/administrative head of this new academy??? Depends on what he does to help the club out in between time. i don't want him back running the footy day to day fitness stuff, but 5 years down the track he could be the right guy to head this academy up.
Look, the timing of this really sucks but if that is the deal in the end, and he continues to work and consult in that with us and UniSA and Shandong it could possibly work. I'm guessing once the club has stopped reeling from the news and has worked out some arrangement with Burgo, Arsenal UniSA and Shandong there will be announcements. I just hope we're not f***** over by all this. I can imagine UniSA aren't too thrilled with the news of Burgo leaving in the middle of the Uni Academic year either. He really needs to smooth the way for everyone if he's in any way a decent person. Time will tell on that one. Arsenal too, surely need to provide some compensation as he is contracted with us until the end of 2018. Will be interesting as details emerge. In the meantime I'll just have to flick between footy life and Netflix.

So this is what we negotiated so far for the academy with Burgo leaving.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-19/burgess-bound-for-arsenal
Global partnership beckons
Further to recent developments in the global partnership space, Port Adelaide will pursue an arrangement with Arsenal - one of the UK's biggest football clubs - to grow sports science and professional development opportunties between Highbury and Alberton.

"Arsenal have indicated their desire to be part of a new collaborative partnership with Port Adelaide in a range of areas including sports science, professional development and international growth. That brings some amazing opportunities with it and we look forward to putting that arrangement in place as soon as we can," said Mr Thomas.

"It’s part of our ongoing journey and desire to becoming a world class sports organisation".

Mr Thomas will meet with Arsenal CEO Ivan Gazidis in Australia in July to finalise Port Adelaide’s international partnership with Arsenal.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-19/burgess-bound-for-arsenal

Leaving mid-season is a bummer, I agree. But if he goes to them, he has to go now to get their season underway. Looks like all the parties have got together to work out the best solution.
Gains:
Burgess
: Takes on a life-changing opportunity. The offer looks to be huge & significant.
Arsenal: Get their man.
Port: Get to retain his services through the year as required to attain an orderly transition. By not being "dicks" about it and forcing him to stick to his contract, we gain massive brownie-points with a major international sporting organization, leading to potential gains from other collaborations with Arsenal. Enhances our reputation as an organization worth dealing with we forge more international partnerships.

Re Andrew Russell, I have a vague recollection that one of the major factors behind his move to the dawks was something to do with his wife wanting to be closer to her family in Melbourne.

If so, the situation may have changed in the last 13 years, but we would obviously need to be sure of that.

Re Andrew Russell, I have a vague recollection that one of the major factors behind his move to the dawks was something to do with his wife wanting to be closer to her family in Melbourne.

If so, the situation may have changed in the last 13 years, but we would obviously need to be sure of that.
and hoping he negs on his multi year contract.

Aussie Jonah Bolden has been picked up by Philadelphia with the No. 36 overall pick ie in the 2nd round.He is the son of US import and Aussie naturalised NBL legend Bruce Bolden. He will join up with Aussie star Ben Simmons and coach Brett Brown after he slid to the No. 6 pick of the second round of the draft. I tink that is now 10 Aussies in the NBA. The young teenager from the US Terrance Ferguson, who decided to skip college, make some $$$ and spend the 2016/17 NBL season playing for the Adelaide 36ers was selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder at pick no. 21 ie 1st Round.

What has that got to do with the Burgo academy or whoever takes over the academy?? Its about the sports science and program set up at the AIS in Canberra and acknowledgment of how good the sports science is in Oz. Today the NBA announced they would set up their world wide academy at the AIS in Canberra.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/news/ais_news/story_661383_nba_global_academy_launched_at_ais
The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Basketball Australia (BA) have today launched the NBA Global Academy, an elite training centre for Australian and international basketball prospects at the AIS in Canberra. AIS Director Mat Favier helped launch the NBA Global Academy, which will serve as the NBA’s hub for top male and female prospects from outside the United States. The initial intake will include players from India, Africa, China, Argentina and Australia. “The AIS is extremely proud of the relationship we’ve had with Basketball Australia and the development of young basketball players for more than 35 years,” Favier said.

“Basketball was a foundation sport when the AIS was formed in 1981 and you only need to look through the list of Australians who have played in the NBA to realise the impact this program has had. Of the 17 Australians who have played in the NBA, 14 of those have been through the basketball program here at the AIS. Some incredible female players have emerged from the AIS and gone on to be stars in the WNBA, like Lauren Jackson and Penny Taylor to name a few. “Australian basketballers have earned a reputation in the NBA as professional, hard-working and team-oriented. These are all traits instilled through their development with Basketball Australia and the AIS.”
http://www.ausport.gov.au/news/ais_news/story_661383_nba_global_academy_launched_at_ais

Basketball Oz will keep its Centre of Excellent for Oz athletes there at the AIS in Canberra
Basketball Australia will continue to operate its Centre of Excellence for Australian athletes at the AIS, complementing the NBA Global Academy. Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer, Anthony Moore said: “Basketball Australia is delighted to partner in this venture, which will enable our world-class coaches and athletes to share their knowledge with the NBA. Our Centre of Excellence has an incredible track record of producing athletes who can compete on the international stage. We are honoured to be hosting NBA Global Academy and helping to develop promising young talent from around the world.”

The NBA set up academies in China and India but that was more about scooping up players from such a large population base rather than sports science.
The NBA Global Academy follows the launch of NBA academies in Hangzhou, Jinan and Urumqi, China; Thies, Senegal; and Delhi National Capital Region (NCR), India. The NBA Global Academy at the AIS will also host the inaugural NBA Academy Games from June 24-30, including squads from the international academies and Australian youth teams.

Its not just about sports science but the whole set up of the academy. And thats what we have to do take a holistic approach to our fitness academy with our other football academy teams and A and B grade teams
NBA Vice President, International Basketball Operations and Head of Elite Basketball, Brooks Meek said: “Basketball Australia’s internationally recognized coaches have successfully developed top prospects for many decades. We’re looking forward to working with BA on this initiative and conducting the first NBA Academy Games.” NBA Global Academy will employ a holistic, 360-degree approach to player development with focuses on education, leadership, character development and life skills. As part of the program, the students will compete against top competition throughout the year and will have an opportunity to be selected for travel teams that play in international tournaments and exhibition games.

This is why I keep saying we have to pinch people from the AIS and state institutes and have relationships with these bodies,as they do world class work and we need to tap into these networks. This once again confirms that the sports world overseas knows it.

Last edited:
I know he's going but interesting to note the type of research we are doing on food intake and supplementation:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...l/news-story/c1c24aef239b4a14de0b32cdf74ce20a

Pre-match meals consisted of protein drinks which release energy throughout the three hours of the game.

Burgess said a low GI carb dinner the night before such as basmati rice with chicken or pork was advised.

All Power players underwent monthly DEXA body scans instead of traditional skin-fold tests to gauge their muscle and fat composition.

The results were used to further shape the nutrition advice offered to them.

Port was also working with four UniSA students who planned to carry out muscle biopsies on Magpies players next month.

The tests, to be conducted before and after matches, would determine how much protein and carbohydrate they burnt while playing.

“The sole purpose of that is to get their diets right in the three or four days leading up to a game,” Burgess said.

Burgess was stunned by the reaction to playing for premiership points overseas.

“It was so over-blown.

“It’s just a short plane trip in the same time-zone and we got four days (to adjust).

“As long as you get your nutrition right and your sleep right, it’s fine.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back