Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is definitely a bit of messiah complex going on with him.

If you listen to him talk he explains his role as largely about making players as resilient as possible and maximising their physical attributes so they can utilise their strengths for as long as possible.

I think some people have it in their heads that he has some secret recipe in his head that’s going to magically make us better, in reality he’s just really, really good at his job, and is simply another piece of the puzzle.

He wouldn’t be the puppet master but if the quacks or the player are 50/50 on having surgery I am sure his opinion holds weight.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Crouches running style would put enormous pressure on this back, core and groins.
He doesnt run.. he waddles like a baby duck..

4BB7702F-68EC-4D35-A713-6D99A02BDEF1.gif

Didn’t he just have groin surgery?

What’s the actual deal here?

Yup, seems like he didn't make a full recovery and is going for round 2.

It's certainly becoming clear why Matt couldn't find a buyer when we tried to force him out.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yup, seems like he didn't make a full recovery and is going for round 2.

It's certainly becoming clear why Matt couldn't find a buyer when we tried to force him out.
Our medico / health and fitness team has certainly had a run of outs haven't they. Matt's Groin and Talia's foot.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Our medico / health and fitness team has certainly had a run of outs haven't they. Matt's Groin and Talia's foot.
Either that or as 1970 said, youve got 2 senior players in a contract year pushing beyond the limit of what they should have. Our rehab guy is supposed to be the best in the business, and Port use the same surgeons for the majority of their procedures and dont have as many issues.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am not a physio WW but when running his body goes side to side and not in cinque rhythmically with the rest of his body which is moving forward.

I am not having a go at you, just a mildly amusing little coincidence: you went to write “synch” instead wrote “cinque” which is Italian for 5 which is Matt Crouch’s number 😛

And now back to our regular programming

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
The slight hobble was back today , albeit not as bad as the other week. I can't get a read on him so I'll shut up now, and hey...it's October
View attachment 1267492
I think we can all say it was a major major injury that not all players get through. Also major endeavour to get up and going now.
No doubt there is going to be trying moments In rehab and an amount of trepidation regarding pushing the pain barrier to get to a fitness level.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
The slight hobble was back today , albeit not as bad as the other week. I can't get a read on him so I'll shut up now, and hey...it's October
View attachment 1267492

I think it’s pointless trying to read anything into his rehab from afar without knowing the ins and outs of his program

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I think it’s pointless trying to read anything into his rehab from afar without knowing the ins and outs of his program
Let's do it anyway!

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed. Getting mobility back into a tendon is a tricky business. Im sure Wayne will still have a pretty wide gap between his good days and bad days.

Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide

Looks like its a real sink or swim attitude to building players physical resilience. I am very excited reading this, but I am expecting one or two players fall off the pace as a result.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
To 'push through the pain' you must first understand if the pain is inside the head

1636236321331.png

I recognise the practicalities and basic philosophy behind Burgess' thoughts - but I am concerned when it is taken to its extreme

ie Lynch continuing on when clearly in distress. Talia now a broken hack - as long as the power (to play) is not up to the player - then build resilience by all means

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Looks like its a real sink or swim attitude to building players physical resilience. I am very excited reading this, but I am expecting one or two players fall off the pace as a result.

I think it's more likely we'll see better from our players more consistently. No more being Mollycoddled through the week so you can limp 'bravely and selflessly' through a game whilst fit kids are champing at the bit for an opportunity. If you're fit enough to play then you're fit enough to train hard during the week. And if you're not fit enough to do that, then you're in rehab until you can.

Burgess' benefit isn't just his technical knowledge, it's going to as much be about the culture change that comes with him. When you employ rookies and incompetents into roles they just fall in line with existing cultures. You need guys like him (and Balme would have been amazing) coming through periodically to break down failed philosophies.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
To 'push through the pain' you must first understand if the pain is inside the head

View attachment 1275560

I recognise the practicalities and basic philosophy behind Burgess' thoughts - but I am concerned when it is taken to its extreme

ie Lynch continuing on when clearly in distress. Talia now a broken hack - as long as the power (to play) is not up to the player - then build resilience by all means

The key is that we've allowed senior players to make a call on themselves despite not being able to complete a full week of training. Does Lynch and Talia put up their hand to train at full throttle all week so they can play with those injuries? I doubt it, I reckon it forces the senior player to admit they're not right, get into a rehab program and return when they are ready to go. It'll be what we've been begging for the last few years. Cop the injury, get right over a few weeks, someone will replace you and you return when you're right.

If Talia was forced to train, he'd most likely had gone in for surgery mid last year and with a full preseason might not have blown his foot and could still be on a list.

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it's more likely we'll see better from our players more consistently. No more being Mollycoddled through the week so you can limp 'bravely and selflessly' through a game whilst fit kids are champing at the bit for an opportunity. If you're fit enough to play then you're fit enough to train hard during the week. And if you're not fit enough to do that, then you're in rehab until you can.

Burgess' benefit isn't just his technical knowledge, it's going to as much be about the culture change that comes with him. When you employ rookies and incompetents into roles they just fall in line with existing cultures. You need guys like him (and Balme would have been amazing) coming through periodically to break down failed philosophies.
This is your finest post. 100% correct!

Back