• He'll get a bit angry

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • He'll burn down Bigfooty

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Who is Darren Burgess?

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely don't think it'll be something where there is a massive noticeable difference in 2022, much like we saw with Melbourne it may take a couple of pre-seasons to really start noticing the difference for a few players.

It's definitely exciting to see what he could do with a guy like Petracca and then potentially getting to work on a guy like Fogarty.

Good call Eddie :thumbsu:

Our lack of soft tissue injuries this year has been wonderful

2nd year, 2nd pre season we should see another improve. Exciting
Yeah the health of our list has been amazing, unbelievable effort by our high performance team.

And you’re right, another preseason is going to be huge for the list and we should really see the benefits next year.

You have to wonder how much of Fog’s improvement he’s helped with
I remember Burgess saying in the pre-season he wanted Fog to be more of a burst player. Have him be as quick as he could be over 30 metres and work his fitness on being able to repeat those bursts, rather than focusing on endurance where he's working at a slower pace more consistently. Think that combined with Rahilly getting him to stop wrestling with guys and added with his natural footy talents has unlocked his game massively.

I remember Burgess saying in the pre-season he wanted Fog to be more of a burst player. Have him be as quick as he could be over 30 metres and work his fitness on being able to repeat those bursts, rather than focusing on endurance where he's working at a slower pace more consistently. Think that combined with Rahilly getting him to stop wrestling with guys and added with his natural footy talents has unlocked his game massively.

100%.

Said this last week or so if I recall. Seems these comments from Burgess are a direct reflection of how Fog has played over last 10 weeks or so.

But, the kicker for me was, when Rahilly mentioned about the wrestling aspect. That would have worked all through his junior career, but not at the top level.

I have been surprised at his pace and also his ability to leap at the footy.

Keep improving and we have an elite forward on our hands.

Going against the grain a bit.

Does anybody wonder about the connection between hiring Burgess and the lack of power/penetration in the players' kicks? Particularly set shots and goal-kicking in general. It's been in the back of my mind since early in the year, but I've noticed it more and more as the season progressed.

Brodie Smith's and Taylor Walker's kicks have been noticeably weaker since the season began. Both seemingly barely able to comfortably to kick goals from 50m, despite a history of 60m+ goals. Both seem fit otherwise, Walker in some of his career-best form at times.

You could put that down to ageing players. But Jordan Dawson's kicking power has abandoned him as the season went on too. Since the Gold Coast game, his only 2 goals came while actually playing in the forward 50, despite regular attempts from beyond the arc at other times.

Of the other two longest kicks: Seedsman has been injured all year. And Fogarty is hard to judge because he is showing 1000% more discretion, so isn't taking set-shots right at the limit of his range anymore.

There's also the other extreme with McHenry and the like maxing out at ~35m.

Does anybody wonder about the connection between hiring Burgess and the lack of power/penetration in the players' kicks? Particularly set shots and goal-kicking in general. It's been in the back of my mind since early in the year, but I've noticed it more and more as the season progressed.

Brodie Smith's and Taylor Walker's kicks have been noticeably weaker since the season began. Both seemingly barely able to comfortably to kick goals from 50m, despite a history of 60m+ goals. Both seem fit otherwise, Walker in some of his career-best form at times.

You could put that down to ageing players. But Jordan Dawson's kicking power has abandoned him as the season went on too. Since the Gold Coast game, his only 2 goals came while actually playing in the forward 50, despite regular attempts from beyond the arc at other times.

Of the other two longest kicks: Seedsman has been injured all year. And Fogarty is hard to judge because he is showing 1000% more discretion, so isn't taking set-shots right at the limit of his range anymore.

Our senior players are adjusting to an AFL standard fitness regime now, not the clown show instigated by Burton and Hass.

Was a non issue at other clubs he's worked at

Our senior players are adjusting to an AFL standard fitness regime now, not the clown show instigated by Burton and Hass.

Was a non issue at other clubs he's worked at
He's never worked at a club in the state Adelaide currently is though.

Also Dawson comes from a well-run club, with seemingly high standards and his kicking has atrophied as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's never worked at a club in the state Adelaide currently is though.

Also Dawson comes from a well-run club, with seemingly high standards and his kicking has atrophied as well.
There's a few points you make which I hadn't thought of and still agree with necessarily.

Firstly, "the state" of the team means little to the fitness, strength and stamina guy. He would have an individual plan for each player who are measured by him against said plan. Football wins and losses would matter very little. His job is to present physically well prepared players each week to the coaches.

The age profile might be the only anomaly to other teams he's worked at. Burgess is a professional and I wouldn't think he'd lack any understanding of the needs of each player.

As a general observation, the kicking of our players hasn't been noticeably different to the opposition on any given day. There are many reasons why kicks change in length and without being on the ground with the kicker, we can't tell these from our seat....or lounge at home. The best measure is the kicking in a game overall. Cherry picking a few seemingly short kicks is not fair in my view.

There's nothing I want more for our team than to stop their persistent long bomb game style. It's just school boy amateur game plan. I want more passing and less bombing unless bombing is the only option. For example, our kick ins are simply pathetic. The kicker has no immediate pressure, can play on unimpeded and has the whole width of the ground to kick to. And we just bomb!! Surely we can find a pass like other teams frequently do.

Lastly, the day Brodie Smith stops trying to kick goals from long range, we might improve. Until then, he'll keep kicking impressive long points and we'll keep wasting the ball in our forward line. He kicks very few of these long range attempts to my eye.

Walker, Fogarty, Rachele and McAdam have all had a good year with regard to their set shots. We need to pass the ball to them more and try a few less "hail Mary" long bombs at goal.

Darren Burgess is an asset to our club and our kicking. IMO 😁

Tex and Smith, you lose kick penetration as you age.

Dawson, early in the season other teams put less work into him defensively. Now less time to get the kick off as he has a tighter defender on him. Dermie mentioned in the commentary Dawson needs time to get a kick off and you can exploit that defensively. More defensive pressure also means more fatigue

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Firstly, "the state" of the team means little to the fitness, strength and stamina guy. He would have an individual plan for each player who are measured by him against said plan. Football wins and losses would matter very little. His job is to present physically well prepared players each week to the coaches.
The state of the club means everything to the work of the guy in charge of physical conditioning. In an obvious sense, it determines what he has to work with.

But he also has to ensure that the players can carry out the coach's game plan. In a good team this means players' are fit enough to deliver 4 quarters of good football. In the current Crows' set up, it likely means a lot more focus is put on being fit enough to implementing Nicks' crazy full-court press defence to the exclusion of other parts of the game.

Tex and Smith, you lose kick penetration as you age.

Dawson, early in the season other teams put less work into him defensively. Now less time to get the kick off as he has a tighter defender on him. Dermie mentioned in the commentary Dawson needs time to get a kick off and you can exploit that defensively. More defensive pressure also means more fatigue
If it was one of either Walker and Smith that would be understandable. However there is a 2-year age gap between the two of them, and both had their full kicking powers last season. The odds that both of them were biologically due to have their kicking power drop off of a cliff at the exact same time is quite a bit less likely.

You're not wrong about the end of Dawson's season. But he's still had a lot of possessions from handballs from other players free kicks around 50m, and almost all of them just end up with him bombing to the goalsquare instead of the original kicker. Is he just not very good at that part of the game?

I'm convinced it's a real phenomenon. I just don't know the cause. As I said above, my working hypothesis is that Burgess has to deliver players that can execute Nicks' gameplan. And in order to do that he had to lessen focus on some other areas.

I remember seeing this too. It's amazing what difference it's made this season. Not every player has to cover 11+ km per game to be effective. Not expecting Fog to cover huge distances has helped him record some of the highest top speeds this season i.e. becoming that burst player.
That can even be transferred into him having a run through the stoppages like a Cripps or Dangerfield style midfield bull or as that quick leading FF/HF. He hasn't been getting tied down as much by defenders.
Great to see our coaching team have a clear plan and execute it well. Now for the rest of the team.

Not surprised Burgo is doing well. Looks like it's paying dividends for Fog. Hopefully we can get him involved in planning our new facilities before he moves on.

Just a shame that Burgo's program doesn't appear to be working for Pedlar. That was the one I was most concerned about when we first hired him.

Not surprised Burgo is doing well. Looks like it's paying dividends for Fog. Hopefully we can get him involved in planning our new facilities before he moves on.

Just a shame that Burgo's program doesn't appear to be working for Pedlar. That was the one I was most concerned about when we first hired him.
It's been said a few times by players at Clubs he has been at .....Burgo has the biggest influence in year 2

Back