Darren Cahill

Remove this Banner Ad

The key is you don't give a family member a job past their ability.
Peter's Principle notwithstanding, doing that would be Nepotism.

Nepotism is the distorted form of what you have called "Family Values."

Peter's Principle notwithstanding, doing that would be Nepotism.

Nepotism is the distorted form of what you have called "Family Values."
Nope dictionary definition - Oxford - is that Nepotism is just favouring relatives and friends.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nepotism
The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

Nope dictionary definition - Oxford - is that Nepotism is just favouring relatives and friends.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nepotism
The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
But that's precisely what I am saying. The issue here seems to be on the meaning of "favouring."

If the person is (or genuinely thought to be) qualified, could it be considered "favouring"? Nepotism happens when there is no justification for choosing relatives to a specific position.

But that's precisely what I am saying. The issue here seems to be on the meaning of "favouring."

If the person is (or genuinely thought to be) qualified, could it be considered "favouring"? Nepotism happens when there is no justification for choosing relatives to a specific position.
No it doesn't. That's not what the dictionary definition is.

You have 2 equal candidates. You know one - the family member, you don't know the other. You favour the family member because you have seen their output. That is nepotism as defined by the dictionary and is also justified.

No it doesn't. That's not what the dictionary definition is.

You have 2 equal candidates. You know one - the family member, you don't know the other. You favour the family member because you have seen their output. That is nepotism as defined by the dictionary and is also justified.
I think such an understanding makes it harder to distinguish actual cases of corruption from regular common-sensical choices. Forget the blood ties for a moment. Things being equal, why would you choose the person you don't know?

Nepotism has a strong negative sense. It cannot be used to describe understandable, reasonable, and justifiable choices. Either that, or my comprehension of the meaning of Nepotism is wrong.

I think such an understanding makes it harder to distinguish actual cases of corruption from regular common-sensical choices. Forget the blood ties for a moment. Things being equal, why would you choose the person you don't know?

Nepotism has a strong negative sense. It cannot be used to describe understandable, reasonable, and justifiable choices. Either that, or my comprehension of the meaning of Nepotism is wrong.
I agree ... although the basic dictionary just makes a general statement of "favoring relatives," which can be looked at as being nebulous, the common attribute associated with nepotism is unfairness, even corruption, and being given without merit. Its origin with the Popes and clergy of Rome using it corruptly to both own property and to retain power in their families, is testament to this.

I agree ... although the basic dictionary just makes a general statement of "favoring relatives," which can be looked at as being nebulous, the common attribute associated with nepotism is unfairness, even corruption, and being given without merit. Its origin with the Popes and clergy of Rome using it corruptly to both own property and to retain power in their families, is testament to this.
In Brazil, it is commonly associated with public offices. In private companies, it is not much used (it still might happen); and, in family business, never (because there can be no Nepotism in this case).

In brief, Nepotism would happen when managerial decisions are taken based on the family being more relevant than the institution, except when the institution belongs to the family.

Cahill should be able to bring an understanding of the mental aspect of the game to the club. That is what he works on as a tennis coach, in addition the physical and skill side of the game. Wonder if he can reel in a sponsor?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cahill should be able to bring an understanding of the mental aspect of the game to the club. That is what he works on as a tennis coach, in addition the physical and skill side of the game. Wonder if he can reel in a sponsor?

Wonder if he can bring a successful game plan to a footy club?

Wonder if he can conquer China for us in two weeks? :D

Darren's most probably positioning himself to knock-off KT, and when he gets on the board it wont take him long to see the sooner he does that the better, the best thing about Darren is he knows what professional sport is all about, i can just imagine Ken coming before the board with his usual bag of waffle and Darren sitting their politely taking down notes while he drafts Ken resignation latter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back