Darren Milburns kick in (in the 2009 Grand Final). How does it compare to Dom Sheeds goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

HardcoreGeelongFan

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
St Kilda

At 7:16 in this video.

Initially much like Dom Sheeds goal people underestimate the sheer brilliance of this moment. It is of my opinion the pressure is even greater. Botch the kick in the opposition scores a certain goal and levels the score with 35 seconds left until the siren. Forget kicking it through 6.4 meter wide posts much like Steve johnson did countless times, don't land that kick on the head of your own player and you can kiss the 2009 premiership goodbye.

At 7:16 in this video.

Initially much like Dom Sheeds goal people underestimate the sheer brilliance of this moment. It is of my opinion the pressure is even greater. Botch the kick in the opposition scores a certain goal and levels the score with 35 seconds left until the siren. Forget kicking it through 6.4 meter wide posts much like Steve johnson did countless times, don't land that kick on the head of your own player and you can kiss the 2009 premiership goodbye.

Lol the pressure greater ?
Firstly Geelong were a goal Up at that stage
At worst The Saints tie the game
Your premise that if he doesn’t ‘land it on his head’ Geelong lose is also flawed.
Long to a contest is a percentage play.. which is what he did

Hardly anything remarkable about the kick

In my eyes he kicks it long to a congested area and he was lucky that Taylor was there to run onto it.

Taylor was near the boundry 40m out and marked it at the 55m.

Pretty sure he didn't honour the Taylor lead, just lucky.

Sheed meant to kick his goal.

Lol the pressure greater ?
Firstly Geelong were a goal Up at that stage
At worst The Saints tie the game
Your premise that if he doesn’t ‘land it on his head’ Geelong lose is also flawed.
Long to a contest is a percentage play.. which is what he did

Hardly anything remarkable about the kick
Are you surprised? Rememb are "3in5 > 3 in a row"

Mmmmm

Let me see.
A goal in front with less than a minute to go and he kicks to a contest near the boundary or

less than 2 minutes to go, you're behind and you're kicking from on the boundary. Miss and you give
the oppo the ball back.

Gee, that's a toughie.
Let me think about it and I'll get back to you.

PS It wasn't undersestimated, it just wasn't brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda versus Geelong 2009 (214 Tackles) Only 200+ Grand Final from 2000.

V.O.S.S Progression:
St Kilda: 5, 9, 6, 3 = 23, D.P.G = 35.67
Geelong: 3, 5, 5, 7 = 20, D.P.G = 29.50

Stephen Milne and Adam Schneider combined for 2 Goals, 5 Behinds and a dribble along the ground.

You blew it Saints even though Milburn's kick in was extraordinary and skill laden. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: He simply saw no advantage option, did the right thing and played the % down the line. In fact he nearly ballsed it up completely when the ump called play on. Riewoldt was a millimetre from a smother which may have won the flag. Now THAT would have been threadworthy.
Brilliant GF. That Geelong team at their absolute peak and up against another great team.

The only thing threadworthy in the footage is a coaching piece. 6mins54...small crumbing fwd cuts back and times his run to be right at the feet in front of his champion KPF when the mark is contested. Perfection for a crumbing fwd but couldnt nail a kick off his wrong side. Probably why so many reckon 100+ of Milne's goals could go straight onto Riewoldts ledger. From a Geelong perspective its Kelly that gets my vote in the vid for putting that pressure on the Milne kick.

Memorable season and highest standard contested footy we've ever seen, with two very very strong mobs. Milburn's kick ? Bombers qtr time switch of Bartel to tag Hayes and run him off the ball was FAR FAR more important. Game could have been nearly over by halftime. Sheed's goal was just terrific under enormous pressure and directly won a flag...a true GF moment.

Last edited:
Initially much like Dom Sheeds goal people underestimate the sheer brilliance of this moment.

I must have missed the period of time where people underestimated Dom Sheed's goal.

Of course I was at the game and not on Big Footy or social media at the time, was everyone's initial reaction "I suppose that was a half decent kick"?

Maybe it took some genius to look back later and say "Actually guys, if you watch it again you can see it's actually an amazingly good shot under enormous pressure. Plus I reckon it just might have helped West Coast win in some way!"

It doesn't.
A set shot from the boundary to take the lead in a GF with 2 minutes to go vs a great field kick with your team up by a goal .....

The only connection I make with “Milburn” and “kick” in that game is when he claimed a soccered Saints goal was touched and jumped around hysterically, trying to con the ump, when replays showed he clearly did not in fact touch it.

The only connection I make with “Milburn” and “kick” in that game is when he claimed a soccered Saints goal was touched and jumped around hysterically, trying to con the ump, when replays showed he clearly did not in fact touch it.
To top it off the ump gave the Saints a free kick at the top of the goal square for a 'double goal' which were all the rage at the time. :straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back