Delisted Darren Minchington

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren's 2015 AFL debut against Melbourne didn't set the world alight, but was far from being disappointing.
The Minchman had 6 contested possessions, had 26 pressure acts, he laid 7 tackles, took 3 marks (1 contested) and kicked 1 goal 1 point (which was more than the margin that the Saints won by).

The Minch offers excellent kicking skills, a glimpse of which was given when he gave off a beautiful low trajectory kick to Gilbert who found himself unmarked in the forward line. Gilbert was unable to capitalise on the opportunity but that doesn't detract from the quality of the Minchington kick.

We have a lot more to see from the human meatball, as his 9 disposals @ 44% disposal efficiency, was uncharacteristic. The selection committee agree as he has retained his spot in the first 22 despite the bye and players coming back off the injury list.

At this moment he has Jack Billings spot, you would think that Jack will walk back in next week if fit, so this opportunity for Minch to show us what he has to offer is very important and may have some weight towards the offer of an extension to his contract...

The Bulldogs match was an unattractive one to watch. It was essentially a battle of the two defences. I think that was partially initiated by us as WB's natural game is not a dour defensive one, but this style of play was partially a result of WB creating a specific game plan to nullify our strengths. (Let's not flatter ourselves - most teams have not really bothered modifying their game plan when they play us). WB generate a lot of run from half back (Wood, Murphy and Boyd) and rely on some contribution from their forwards creating space. We effectively nullified any contribution from their forwards. Delaney shut down Boyd (again), Roberton on Dickson, Geary on Dahlhaus, Gilbert and Dempster seemed to share Stringer and Roughead and I think Webster stood Johanissen. We gave them no space and shut down their scoring. They did the same to us by completely flooding our forward line when we had it down there.

Our forward entries need work. We had 56 entries into our forward 50 (to their 44) but WB marked 21 of those 56 with Easton Wood (BOG) being the main culprit (although it is worth noting they were able to get away with a number of illegal blocks). The stats suggest we should have won this match by a reasonable margin, we won the clearances 35 to 28, we won the contested possessions 135 to 114, and we won tackles 68 to 54. Membrey played well, especially early and deserves to keep his spot, Minchington was fairly quiet and looked out of place so deep forward and might have done better at half forward. I expect he will make way for Billings' return next week. Riewoldt and Bruce are working very nicely together but the structure does not look as open as it has been when Hickey was playing. Lonie was busy but less effective than in recent weeks. It was WB's dominance in defence that won this match. We will learn from this failure to capitalise on an otherwise dominant performance, to make our forward entries better. To play smarter football.

Billy Longer had a good match, dominated the ruck with 30 hit outs to Minson's 15, he also topped the club in clearances. Our midfield were good without being outstanding. Newnes was the best player for the Saints, with Armitage and Montagna both significant, Ray did fairly well in his 200th match, Schneider was ordinary. Dunstan was quiet - especially after half time and if he is not injured, he has a fitness issue. I think with hindsight, it may have been better to have taken Dunstan off at 3/4 time and let the Minch have a rotation or two through the midfield to see how he went. I suppose with the match on the line, the coach went with his proven performers. Anyway the sub was Seb Ross - when he came on he immediately made an impact and was very good, possibly our best in the last quarter.

The Sandringham match highlighted the talents of Sinclair and McCartin and it would be wonderful to be able to bring them both into the Saints but it is a shame that it has to be done on the back of a long term injury to other player/s.

Preview of Essendon match and suggested ins and outs:

In: Billings, McCartin, Sinclair
Out: Dunstan, Minchington, Savage/Webster

I thought Dunstan was poor after half time. I do remember him having his ankle re-strapped, and maybe he will have recovered but recent performances suggest we need to control the work load especially of second year players. Savage and Webster are often called upon to play a similar role distributing the ball skilfully from half back. Webster is my favourite player ATM but seeing him having his elbow and shoulder strapped so heavily made me a little concerned of persistent injury. If he is OK and can play this week without risk of exacerbating it then great, play him and omit Savage, if not rest Webster, and get his arm right and keep Savage to play his role. I don't think Fisher will be ready, back injuries can take some time.
I am saddened to suggest the omission of the Minch. I am his player advocate and feel that the writing was on the wall because he was subbed off against WB at 3/4 time. He was never given a go at his usual position on a half forward flank. This is a problem that should be addressed at the lower level - have the player play in the position he will play in the A grade. Hindsight tells us that Dunstan should have been subbed off, and Savage would have been next in line and even Lonie who has been great recently, might have been a better choice. Minch could have been moved to half forward and maybe been involved in a rotation or two through the midfield. The choice to give up on him after playing him as a small deep forward is unfair, and I despair that he may not get another chance (unless Billings is unable to come up). I hope that his papers are not yet stamped.:(

Last edited:
WERRIBEE TIGERS 4.4 5.7 9.8 11.9 (75)

SANDRINGHAM 2.4 5.7 8.11 12.16 (88)

GOALS: Saad 2, Murdoch 2, Markworth, Minchington, Wilkinson, Ong, Brown, Dennis-Lane, Acres, Ross.

BEST: Saad, Minchington, Murdoch, Saunders, Jones, Simpkin, Ross, Delaney

Darren Minchington (23 disposals, 4 tackles, 1 goal), Brodie Murdoch and Josh Saunders (25 disposals) accumulated a lot of the footy for us and Clint Jones (30 disposals, 8 tackles) was terrific off a back flank along with a really solid contribution from Tom Simpkin (16 disposals, 4 tackles, 3 marks).

17 of Minchi's 23p were contested (Saunders 15 of 25, Markworth 10 of 23)

Didn't get to Etihad until qtr time today as I was committed to being at TBBO. Just a couple of thoughts on where we MAY head in last 4 games...

If Sinclair and/or Lonie miss next week then I think we surely must give Darren
Minchington one last chance, he played a massive game for Sandy today. I won't see official stats until tomorrow but having a quick look after game he had something like 25 disposals, 15 tackles and a couple of goals. Maybe it's too late, I don't know?

Dan Markworth played his second very good game from his last 3, 20 odd disposals, 6 marks and a couple of goals. I think he's shown enough at Sandy to be rewarded with a senior game after 4 years of bad luck and bloody hard work. If not this week then maybe another strong game in VFL may see him debut.

Tom Lee was good again today, I really like Tom, a fantastic fella and is playing very strong footy down back but I don't see where he fits in our senior team if Dempster/Fisher/Goddard all play. If he doesn't get a few games now I think he may try and get a trade to WA for opportunities.

Ray, Membrey and Templeton were also very good today but not sure whether they'll play unless we come out of today with those injured players missing.
Hopefully Webster, Longer and Dunstan all available next week too.

Minchington 17 TACKLES :eek::):thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

WndCPHR.png

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-08-12/huddos-vfl-review-round-17

Delaney - solid.

Holmes - did well in the hit outs but (not) much of the ball.

Lee - very good.

Markworth - criticism recently has been his low contested ball (but this week was) strong in the contest and ran well too.

Membrey - excellent return (offensively) … (but it’s his) defensive work that is most pleasing.

Minchington - work rate was elite … our best player.

Murdoch - played him on (Pinwill) and he had the better of him. A lot of his work went unrewarded.

Payne - didn’t get a lot of the ball but he kicked a goal and we were pleased with his running patterns.

Pierce - did well.

Ray - links up really well and had a very good match.

Saad - good balance from a defensive and offensive perspective.

Saunders - a little bit quieter this week … predominantly forward.

Shenton - had a blinder.

Templeton - I put a bit of a rocket up him and he responded.

White - didn’t get a great deal of the ball but his running patterns were decent and he laid five tackles.

Development:
Siposs - good.
Baker-Thomas - defensive work was good.

Please St Kilda FC - give the Minch a run in the midfield - play him off a forward flank where he knows what to do and see if he has what it takes. Even elite players like Milne could miss out on any action when tucked away in a pocket.

Really like Minch , great news. I love for a small fella has a long powerful kick and set shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really happy for him, terrific young guy and he's going to be good as back-up if nothing else. If he happens to really build his tank up over the preseason then he could start to have a lot more influence on games.
While he won't quite feel 'like he belongs' with just one year, some late year trail of games hopefully will give him some extra confidence. He has some nice traits.

Minchington 17 TACKLES :eek::):thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
17 tackles in a game would be impressive if it came from anyone. Shows he can really contribute.
Good luck to him and hope he continues to develop next year and grab the opportunity wi the both hands.

Saint Minchington signs for another year
September 8, 2015 10:26 AM

ST KILDA has backed small forward Darren Minchington to take his game to another level in 2016 by awarding him a one-year contract.
400252-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Minchington, 21, played five AFL games this season and notably kicked two quick goals against Geelong in round 21.
"I'm stoked to have re-signed with the club for another season," Minchington told the club website.
"We have a really exciting group of up-and-coming players that are all working together to achieve our goals in the future.
"To be a part of that and hopefully play an important role next year is great.
"I wouldn't want to play anywhere else."
The former rookie has played 10 AFL games in three seasons and showed the most promise this year.
The ferocious tackler spent time in the midfield in the VFL this season, and should get more AFL opportunities in 2016 after the retirement of Adam Schneider.
"Darren is another one of our young players that showed great potential in 2015," coach Alan Richardson said.
"We have a really exciting core group of young players that are still learning their craft.
"Darren showed us he is not only skilful but has excellent defensive pressure this season.
"We believe he will take his game to the next level in 2016."

Plenty of Saints, including David Armitage, Sean Dempster, Tom Hickey, Jack Steven and Sam Gilbert, have signed on with the club this year.
The Saints are also currently working on a one-year deal with veteran Sam Fisher.

With all this talk about midfielders we are/might be/should be going after, it's worth noting Darren Minchington's game on Saturday;

35 possessions (25 contested!), 12 I50s, 7 tackles, 2 marks and 2 goals.

He even had 3 R50s.

Campbell Brown on the VFL commentary said it was the best game at the level he has ever seen.

He's got pace, he's got lovely kicking skills... He may be small (179cm) but he's a solid young lad (82kg), and only turns 22 in early December.

I see more similarities with Dion Prestia than just his nickname... He's wasted as a small forward.

With all this talk about midfielders we are/might be/should be going after, it's worth noting Darren Minchington's game on Saturday;

He even had 3 R50s.

Campbell Brown on the VFL commentary said it was the best game at the level he has ever seen.

He's got pace, he's got lovely kicking skills... He may be small (179cm) but he's a solid young lad (82kg), and only turns 22 in early December.

I see more similarities with Dion Prestia than just his nickname... He's wasted as a small forward.

Amen!

He even had 3 R50s.

Could be our next Joey if he can develop into an AFL midfielder and can continue to improve on finding ball on the outside. Albeit a slightly better (spearing?) kick than Joey with a little more grunt to his inside game.

I like how he has goal sense though. We have never had midfielders who have really damage teams on the scoreboard, think Harvey, Burke, Lenny, Dal... Now all of a sudden we have Armitage, Steven, Billings, Dunstan, Sinclair, Minchington etc who can all bob up for a goal a game. It will add another avenue if McCartin and Bruce are having quiet ones and prove crucial in finals where typically key forwards struggle the most.

Last edited:

He even had 3 R50s.

Big big fan of Meatball. 12 I50's is insane. Get him running all summer and give him a genuine crack at some midfield time. We need a few more to do what Bruce and to a lesser extent Weller did this year, and go from fringe player to quality AFL contributor. Not easy to do this, but Minch is one of the few that could pull it off.

If it was an opposition VFL player that had that sort of game we would all be jizzing ourselves over the prospect of getting them to the club.

He even had 3 R50s.

Well said mate :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Surely he gets his chance in the middle next year?

He even had 3 R50s.

Don't forget about the clearances too, he had 13+ I think (10 in the first half alone)

Yeah I always think of Prestia as well when I see minchi in the midfield, he could eventually replace montagna I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back