Racing Darren Weir Arrested and stables raided by Police and Stewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

how much did you lose?

Unlike many others, I'm not stupid enough to waste my hard earned on gambling. The horses were ever the only drawcard for me.

Gotta love the old boys club on this site, patting each other on the back like you are heroes.

Unlike many others, I'm not stupid enough to waste my hard earned on gambling. The horses were ever the only drawcard for me.

Gotta love the old boys club on this site, patting each other on the back like you are heroes.

Oh tell us more Shai, we long for your pearls of wisdom here on the PUNTING board...

Begs the question of why are you even commenting in here then?

There is also a thread on the crime board you can sink your teeth into to.

to be fair, i'd also consider this horse racing board. being honest 95% of whats being discussed isn't exactly betting talk.

i rarely bet on racing in the east but still happy to discuss it.

How can they kick him out of his house in Miners Rest? If he owns the property and all horses are gone, then good luck RV, can't be done.

I don't condone what he has done, but I cannot stand hypocrites, and there seems to be a lot out there at the moment thoroughly enjoying Weir's downfall.

A good majority of trainers would have done similar to Weir at some stage of their careers...

I hope Darren learns from this and comes back bigger and better than ever in 4years time.

Last edited:
Mick Price is another trainer who has recieved some high profile Ex-Weir horses with him taking over the training of talented 3 year old's Leonardo Da Hinchi, Anjana, Krone and Social Spin. His Warrnambool base seemingly a big factor in gaining those horses.

How can they kick him out of his house in Miners Rest? If he owns the property and all horses are gone, then good luck RV, can't be done.

I don't condone what he has done, but I cannot stand hypocrites, and there seems to be a lot out there at the moment thoroughly enjoying Weir's downfall.

A good majority of trainers would have done similar to Weir at some stage of their careers...

I hope Darren learns from this and comes back bigger and better than ever in 4years time.

I'm by no means enjoying what is happening but I must say I'm a little surprised at some of the sympathy that is being directed towards him. Matt Stewart on RSN this morning was fawning about the hearing yesterday going to great lengths to describe how much pain Weir seemed to be in and cheerleading for him to be welcomed back with open arms after 4 years. The guy was found with illegal devices in his bedroom FFS, if that isn't a deliberate attempt to avoid detection then I don't know what is. Interestingly shortly after Stewart also noted that there are issues with the culture in some pockets of the racing industry... Not sure how you reconcile cleaning that side of things up with advocating for someone who deliberately cheated to be welcomed back???

This is not a hard luck story... This is a story of a bloke who cheated and got caught... The rest is just puff...

I'm by no means enjoying what is happening but I must say I'm a little surprised at some of the sympathy that is being directed towards him. Matt Stewart on RSN this morning was fawning about the hearing yesterday going to great lengths to describe how much pain Weir seemed to be in and cheerleading for him to be welcomed back with open arms after 4 years. The guy was found with illegal devices in his bedroom FFS, if that isn't a deliberate attempt to avoid detection then I don't know what is. Interestingly shortly after Stewart also noted that there are issues with the culture in some pockets of the racing industry... Not sure how you reconcile cleaning that side of things up with advocating for someone who deliberately cheated to be welcomed back???

This is not a hard luck story... This is a story of a bloke who cheated and got caught... The rest is just puff...
This is a fair comment. Most takes on Weir so far have tried to juxtapose the good of the man with the severity of his actions. It's very difficult to get that tone right though.

Matt Stewart, unsurprisingly, was not up to the task. Shane Anderson's piece is the closest to the mark I've seen so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on... How some people are talking about how good it would be if he comes back to the industry in 4 years time right now totally beggars belief... If the industry doesn't weed this behaviour out there won't be an industry at all....

What do you think is a fair penalty based on this case vs others found guilty of jigger possession?

What do you think is a fair penalty based on this case vs others found guilty of jigger possession?
I don't think using precedents here is really a good way of looking at things because clearly the penalties handed out in the past haven't provided sufficient deterrent to stop people doing it.

If the industry is serious about changing it's culture (whether it be in relation to animal cruelty, doping of horses or other methods of fixing races) then the message needs to be sent that anyone who participates in that kind of conduct isn't welcome. Otherwise you're just p***ng in the wind.

A $20,000 deposit to a random bookmaking account of my choosing

I don't think using precedents here is really a good way of looking at things because clearly the penalties handed out in the past haven't provided sufficient deterrent to stop people doing it.

If the industry is serious about changing it's culture (whether it be in relation to animal cruelty, doping of horses or other methods of fixing races) then the message needs to be sent that anyone who participates in that kind of conduct isn't welcome. Otherwise you're just p***ng in the wind.

Wasn't the last conviction 12 years ago?

Wasn't the last conviction 12 years ago?
Doesn't really matter tbh... You're suggestion was to consider the severity of the punishment based on previous cases... My contention is that current penalties aren't a sufficient way of stamping out the behaviour. To the bulk of the community horse racing has a big image problem, leaving the door open for people who are deliberately flaunting the rules and (most likely) doing things that are considered animal cruelty my many isn't going to do anything to fix that.

Doesn't really matter tbh... You're suggestion was to consider the severity of the punishment based on previous cases... My contention is that current penalties aren't a sufficient way of stamping out the behaviour. To the bulk of the community horse racing has a big image problem, leaving the door open for people who are deliberately flaunting the rules and (most likely) doing things that are considered animal cruelty my many isn't going to do anything to fix that.

Sorry I'm from the country and a bit slow, I backed Tom Melbourne last start so slow learner.

You stated the severity is not harsh enough as it hasn't provided sufficient deterrent. Yet the last conviction was 12 yrs ago indicating the penalty at that time (3 yrs & 4 yrs and considered extreme) was a strong deterrent.

You contend that current penalties are not enough to stamp out the behaviour, yet no convictions for 12 yrs says it's not commonplace (or they're just terrible at gaining evidence, also possible). A bit like death penalty for drug importing you still never get zero breaches, there's always some willing to run the gauntlet and look for an edge.

If you say jiggers are a life ban there will still be those who have a crack. personally I think given the size of the operation and related risk the penalty should have been 5-6 yrs but then like anyone else who has completed their sentence they are allowed back.

When someone brings the sport into disrepute, the penalty should be long and scary enough so that it deters any other participants to even think about doing something similar again. I don't believe that is the case at all in racing as we seem to be having integrity issues every few years or so.

When someone brings the sport into disrepute, the penalty should be long and scary enough so that it deters any other participants to even think about doing something similar again. I don't believe that is the case at all in racing as we seem to be having integrity issues every few years or so.

That's very fair and is poorly executed at the moment. Oliver having 10K on a rival horse and getting 12 months then JMac backing his own horse and getting 18 months just one example of how wrong they get it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back