Current Darren Weir - Torture Charges

Remove this Banner Ad

UPDATE 10.10.2019 - Torture charges have been laid on Weir

Police have seized four electric shock devices, known as "jiggers", during early morning twin raids on the stables of Melbourne Cup-winning horse trainer Darren Weir.

The prominent trainer was arrested along with two other men during the raids on Weir's Victorian stables at Miners Rest, near Ballarat, and Warrnambool as well as residential properties on Wednesday morning, with police also seizing a substance they believed to be cocaine.

Police presser:

Weir is one of the highest-profile trainers in the country and the most successful trainer in the national trainer's premiership. The Victorian trainer counts hundreds of horses as part of his stable.

Wednesday's raids are another dramatic chapter for the racing industry, still reeling from the ongoing Aquanita scandal where trainers and stablehands were found guilty of doping-related offences.

During the raids, which also occurred at residential properties in Warrnambool, Miner's Rest and Yangery, police also seized what they believed to be an unregistered firearm and what they believed to be a small quantity of cocaine along with the "jiggers".

Weir took out the 2015 Melbourne Cup with Prince of Penzance, ridden by Michelle Payne, who became the first female jockey to claim the prestigious race.

Racing Victoria CEO Giles Thompson specified that no charges had been laid. Police confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that the three men have been released without charge, pending further enquiries.
Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Paterson confirmed three "jiggers" were seized at one property, with a fourth found at another property.

Mr Paterson confirmed police were looking at the alleged use of jiggers to "enhance the performance" of horses on race day, but said the scope of the investigation went beyond the use of jiggers and into broader integrity issues.

Uniformed and plain-clothed officers swooped on Weir's stables, following months of speculation about an ongoing an investigation.

Weir, 48, from Miners Rest, has been training horses since 1995, and famously won the 2015 Melbourne Cup.
He was arrested along with a 38-year-old Yangery man and a 26-year-old Warrnambool man.

The use of a "jigger", an electrical device, is a serious offence which can result in lengthy penalties.
Track rider Damien Bradbury was given an 18-month disqualification in 2015 after he pleaded guilty to the possession of the electrical device at Mornington racecourse.
Victorian trainer Paul Preusker was slapped with a four year disqualification and jockey Holly McKechnie was disqualified for three years for charges relating to the use of a jigger at the Horsham racecourse in 2007.
At the time the two were disqualified, the practice was described as "abhorrent " by Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board deputy chairman Brain Forrest
Meanwhile, Thompson admitted Wednesday's events were "not good for the image of racing".

Mr Thompson said the arrested men were entitled to the presumption of innocence, saying race stewards were not at the point of issuing bans on trainers or their horses.

"That may change over time," said Mr Thompson.

Detectives from Victoria Police's Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit will now interview the three men.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said the trio would be interviewed in relation to sporting integrity matters, including obtaining financial advantage by deception, engaging in conduct that corrupts or would corrupt a betting outcome of an event or event contingency, use of corrupt conduct information for betting purposes, and attempting to commit an indictable offence namely obtain financial advantage by deception.

It is understood some vehicles and cars were also examined at Warrnambool and Ballarat.

RSN Racing & Sport radio has reported that federal police visited Weir’s Ballarat stables some weeks ago where they may have seized an item central to an ongoing inquiry.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rac...ning-trainer-darren-weir-20190130-p50uk5.html

Weir -v- Stewards

The history:

January 2001 - Weir suspended for eight weeks for giving false evidence, in an inquiry regarding the late scratching of mare Amanda Huggenkiss at Warrnambool.

Spring 2002 - Weir fined $1000 for being in possession of tubing gear at Manangatang.

August 2003 - Three Weir horses scratched at Murtoa with equipment seized by stewards, resulting in a three month suspension for tubing a horse on raceday.

May 3, 2006 - Racing Victoria stewards inspect Weir and Jarrod McLean stables at Warrnambool. Tubing gear was discovered, but no charges laid.

February 14, 2008 - Weir fined $15,000 for an elevated TC02 reading.

November 2009 - Weir fined $1500 after Lethal Gal was a late scratching on Ballarat Cup day when stewards discovered the horse had been transferred to another stable.

January 2010 - Time Matters a late scratching at Caulfield - after Weir failed to notify stewards of the whereabouts of the horse.

March 24, 2011 - Weir fined $500 for using 'insulting or abusive language' towards a trackwork supervisor.

May 23, 2013 - Weir fined $7000 after a diuretic was detected in Doing Our Best on raceday at Ballarat on February 16, 2013.

November 2013 - Weir fined $2000 for a stable return breach, leading to Platelet's late scratching from the $1m VRC Sprint Classic.

August 5, 2018 - Stewards adjourn inquiry into tactics - John Allen and Darren Weir quizzed over tactics aboard Bit Of A Lad in the Grand National Hurdle at Sandown with the inquiry adjourned to examine betting records on the race.

September 19, 2018 - Weir fined $5000 for false jump-out information - including wrongly naming seven horses that competed in jump-outs at Ballarat.

October 20, 2018 - Trap For Fools scratched - over concerns about where the gelding had been stabled in the lead-up to the race.

He's got six charges and horses scratched, has to make a case now why he shouldn't be suspended in the interim and owners are moving their horses out. Shame, Michelle Payne is taking a few hits in the fallout as well.

It's hugely damaging.

• Possession of an electric or electronic apparatus capable of affecting the performance of a horse
  • Failure to give evidence at an inquiry
  • Failure to comply with a direction of the stewards
  • Conduct prejudicial to the image, interests or welfare of racing

He's got six charges and horses scratched, has to make a case now why he shouldn't be suspended in the interim and owners are moving their horses out. Shame, Michelle Payne is taking a few hits in the fallout as well.

It's hugely damaging.

• Possession of an electric or electronic apparatus capable of affecting the performance of a horse
  • Failure to give evidence at an inquiry
  • Failure to comply with a direction of the stewards
  • Conduct prejudicial to the image, interests or welfare of racing

If he's guilty as charged he should be kicked out of the industry altogether and not even allowed to own pets. Authorities in all codes are far too lenient with their penalties and it damages the codes as a whole. As for the involvement of others (his employees, jockeys, owners, etc) I'll reserve judgement until it all comes out, which probably won't happen.

You can look at these things one of two ways.

Personally I think it’s great they have been caught. It shows the stewards are happy to crack a huge name. It has to give you confidence that they’re on the way to properly cleaning it up. Any trainer who was using jiggers last week probably isn’t now.

I’m sure there are / were others out there doing it. And many who aren’t, who play by the rules.

Also, make no mistake, this is going to benefit a hell of a lot of trainers. The Weir juggernaut had about 700 horses. There’s a lot of trainers out there really struggling for numbers.

If he's guilty as charged he should be kicked out of the industry altogether and not even allowed to own pets. Authorities in all codes are far too lenient with their penalties and it damages the codes as a whole. As for the involvement of others (his employees, jockeys, owners, etc) I'll reserve judgement until it all comes out, which probably won't happen.
Jiggers are fine. They’re a great tool for making sure horses jump from the barriers when they refuse to or miss the start a lot. Tasers are definitely barbaric.
As for whipping a horse excessively, this is ridiculous when I can cop a flogging from the whips they use today without any discomfort.

Jiggers are fine. They’re a great tool for making sure horses jump from the barriers when they refuse to or miss the start a lot. Tasers are definitely barbaric.
As for whipping a horse excessively, this is ridiculous when I can cop a flogging from the whips they use today without any discomfort.

I can’t believe the industry doesn’t kill this stupid myth about whips being painful to horses.

You can slap somebody on the hand with a modern whip and it doesn’t hurt them in the slightest.

I can’t believe the industry doesn’t kill this stupid myth about whips being painful to horses.

You can slap somebody on the hand with a modern whip and it doesn’t hurt them in the slightest.

Yep. I've heard hitting a horse with a whip is about the equivalent of tapping someone on the shoulder.

I’ve held my hand out and had it hit by one. It’s like being hit with a piece of cloth. It’s about the sound.

My horse was playing up before a show once, I was braiding mane and a girl was at his tail. He just didnt like her, she lost it and punched him in the rump. If I hadn't seen what she did to her hand and her squealing I might have paid it back. She broke it. ha ha ha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jiggers are banned for a reason Lebbo. Whip or crop is alright, not as bad as it looks.
I’d use them on lazy horses at the barriers. It usually is a foolproof way to get them to jump well.
I used to back this horse in the mid-80’s called Got The Blues. It missed the start three times when it first came back from a spell. At its fourth start after a spell I backed it each way at odds of 20’s to 1. It jumped with them and sat one out and one back from the leader over 1300m at Toowoomba. It won by at least five lengths. At the time my Dad owned a horse and he told me afterwards that the trainer used a jigger on him at barrier jump out. It never missed the start again. He won again next start at Eagle Farm at 10 to 1 before running five 2nds in a row in Brissy before being retired.
I’m a big fan of the jigger. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried it on Chautauqua without success.

I’d use them on lazy horses at the barriers. It usually is a foolproof way to get them to jump well.
I used to back this horse in the mid-80’s called Got The Blues. It missed the start three times when it first came back from a spell. At its fourth start after a spell I backed it each way at odds of 20’s to 1. It jumped with them and sat one out and one back from the leader over 1300m at Toowoomba. It won by at least five lengths. At the time my Dad owned a horse and he told me afterwards that the trainer used a jigger on him at barrier jump out. It never missed the start again. He won again next start at Eagle Farm at 10 to 1 before running five 2nds in a row in Brissy before being retired.
I’m a big fan of the jigger. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried it on Chautauqua without success.

You seem to be totally misunderstanding the issue. It is not a matter of whether jiggers are effective or not, it is about animal cruelty and the perception of the wider community about them being used in the sport being so negative these days.

I support horse racing but at the same time I volunteer with an animal shelter. There is no way I could condone cruelty to an animal and in my mind, shocking a horse to get a response crosses that line.

You seem to be totally misunderstanding the issue. It is not a matter of whether jiggers are effective or not, it is about animal cruelty and the perception of the wider community about them being used in the sport being so negative these days.

I support horse racing but at the same time I volunteer with an animal shelter. There is no way I could condone cruelty to an animal and in my mind, shocking a horse to get a response crosses that line.
There’s only one big name trainer that I know of that probably wouldn’t have used a jigger. He trained your hero!

Listened to this last night. Andrew certainly seems to know a lot about the industry. I learned a lot. His delivery is very....unemotional.

I don’t know, I don’t think it offered much. I also don’t like that he inferred the probable involvement of jockeys (possible, but certainly not required to pull it off), or his continued mentions of “small rural trainers” possibly partaking in this stuff. The guys getting busted are some of the biggest trainers in the state.

The “oh they all do it” thing is annoying. There’s doubtlessly people out there doing the wrong thing, but to infer it’s all of them is very unfair. There are hundreds and hundreds of trainers in Victoria alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back