Expansion Darwin Is Pitching For Their Own Team Too !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
An AFL team in the Top End? It’s not as out there as you might think (theage.com.au)

I'm not as enamoured with the idea as they are but they certainly have raised some solid points on how it may succeed.

Can you imagine if we had new teams in Tassie, Darwin & Canberra ??

It would be a truly national competition which would put massive frighteners on the rugby league competition. Throw in an extra team based in Brisbane & Sydney plus the Sunshine Coast & Illawarra and things will really be zinging.

I know people will poo-hoo the theory but there will come a time where there will be a reduction in Melbourne-based clubs to offset the establishment of the new entities.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The problem with a team based on government funding is that it's pretty much never guaranteed more than a few years out. You get a commitment from government, and then nek minnit there's an election and they're out. Suddenly the new government wants to save money by stopping the funding to millionaire footballers. So the AFL (i.e the other clubs) are left carrying the can. If there's one thing the AFL like it's stability.

It would need to be an extremely good offer for the AFL to consider it i'd imagine.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting idea!

Canberra is still the safer option for team 20, but they've really thought outside the box with their approach.

If they could pull this off, wouldn't even be mad if they got a team before Canberra.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
An AFL team in the Top End? It’s not as out there as you might think (theage.com.au)

I'm not as enamoured with the idea as they are but they certainly have raised some solid points on how it may succeed.

Can you imagine if we had new teams in Tassie, Darwin & Canberra ??

It would be a truly national competition which would put massive frighteners on the rugby league competition. Throw in an extra team based in Brisbane & Sydney plus the Sunshine Coast & Illawarra and things will really be zinging.

I know people will poo-hoo the theory but there will come a time where there will be a reduction in Melbourne-based clubs to offset the establishment of the new entities.

NT Scoping Report

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem with a team based on government funding is that it's pretty much never guaranteed more than a few years out. You get a commitment from government, and then nek minnit there's an election and they're out. Suddenly the new government wants to save money by stopping the funding to millionaire footballers. So the AFL (i.e the other clubs) are left carrying the can. If there's one thing the AFL like it's stability.

Unfortunately this is the reality. A team based on government/private funding is always vulnerable to change.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unfortunately this is the reality. A team based on government/private funding is always vulnerable to change.
Im not saying Darwin is a good idea, but I dont get this line of arguing.

A contract is a contract. A government can sign a long term commitment which will bind future governments, just like any other entity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back