**** darwin

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you pay us you can play a home game at Adelaide Oval.

We never beat you buggers there :(

Want to trade home grounds? Your MCG form is pretty good ;)

We're 3w 3l at AO since 2011 (Including that one off game against Port late 2011). Think only the Eagles and Cats would have better records at the ground as visiting sides.

I don't think it would have made a difference were we played. However i entirely agree with Caro, and it's not something i always do

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't think it would have made a difference were we played. However i entirely agree with Caro, and it's not something i always do

As a long term member I couldn't agree more. Why is a team that is called Melbourne, who represents the city of Melbourne and the MCG playing 2 home games in NT??? We're not a basket case anymore. The $$ is nice, but more chance of winning and being a finals contender is nicer. 11 MCG home games please!! F*** Darwin and Alice Springs. We're less than 50% chance of winning in the NT, and statistically zero chance of winning the week after. Stop the madness!!!

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Every year our season derails after visiting this joint! I honestly don't think it is coincidence. Every year we look lethargic and tired the week after, and we barely find any spark from then on. How much longer do we have to put up with going there? I get we need $$$, but at what cost? What are we doing wrong after these games? As we clearly never look the same side after playing here. It's funny how our president says we want to be like the NY Yankees where people affiliate our club with the city of Melbourne, just like the Yankees are with New York. Yet we play home games in another state! This shemozzle has got to end..

How much more $$$ would we have via sponsorship if we were a finals team? This is how the club has to think.

Darwin has served its purpose and we haven't made traction from a supporter pov. End it.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
whilst we should be able to win anywhere, burn the ******* joint to the ground. At least playing in the Alice is a nice spectacle for a TV audience. Darwin is just a shithole. How about instead of trying to attract new supporters, they actually show some respect to the ones they already have? you know, the stupid campaigners that were insane enough to still show up to games during the Bailey/Neeld years? No? fair enough people that crazy probably don't deserve any care from the club.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we're going to have it perhaps the club should request the afl to shedule the game before the bye. Though we did beat port after the Darwin we fell flat against north. The other thing is maybe not play a south australian team. It was like playing Adelaide at Adelaide oval. I'm not really sure how much playing up in darwin has helped the club gain support. It's not like north or hawthorn in tassie we really don't get much support or anything significant.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
The attitude of doing everything we can to win a premiership has to start at the top. Selling these NT games are detrimental to that aim and need to end. It would be a risk but actually winning a flag would bring in far more $$ than what we get out of this deal.

Western Bulldogs, now Richmond. Droughts broken.

If we want to win a premiership we have to be fairdinkum. We have to give ourselves every possible chance of winning. Look for every 1%er we can find of advantage and it takes a hell of a lot of luck.

Please MFC, * these NT games off now. How can supporters truly believe we can win when we shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again.

A jockey doesn't voluntarily add 2kg to his weight handicap. Runners don't voluntarily start an extra 2m behind the starting line.

For as long as we keep playing these games we are bums. We are flirting with destiny and don't deserve a sniff of a flag

End this s**t now!

RandB contract is still in effect for next year, earliest we stop playing in Darwin is 2019.
Cheers, well it can't come soon enough mate. If they renew the contract I'll be mega pissed. There are alternative cash streams out there, just try harder.

Western Bulldogs, now Richmond. Droughts broken.

If we want to win a premiership we have to be fairdinkum. We have to give ourselves every possible chance of winning. Look for every 1%er we can find of advantage and it takes a hell of a lot of luck.

Please MFC, **** these NT games off now. How can supporters truly believe we can win when we shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again.

A jockey doesn't voluntarily add 2kg to his weight handicap. Runners don't voluntarily start an extra 2m behind the starting line.

For as long as we keep playing these games we are bums. We are flirting with destiny and don't deserve a sniff of a flag

End this s**t now!
If we're good enough we'll win it anyway

No offence, but I fear that is the same naive approach they have at the club as well.
No offence but I'm embarrassed reading a claim like yours when we've barely been near finals since we started playing in Darwin. With our injury list we were never going to beat Adelaide the second time around this year anyway and we came back and effectively thrashed Port the next week so there wasn't much evidence of tiredness. This is the same as complaining about the Etihad hoodoo - as proven this year out issue was never with the ground, we just sucked. Darwin is a ridiculous thing to pin any of the club'a failures on

No offence but I'm embarrassed reading a claim like yours when we've barely been near finals since we started playing in Darwin. With our injury list we were never going to beat Adelaide the second time around this year anyway and we came back and effectively thrashed Port the next week so there wasn't much evidence of tiredness. This is the same as complaining about the Etihad hoodoo - as proven this year out issue was never with the ground, we just sucked. Darwin is a ridiculous thing to pin any of the club'a failures on
Yeah, I don't see many other clubs going with this pitch. Port in China but it was an away game and they are going for a high risk high reward market.

I'm not saying we haven't sucked in prior years I'm saying going forward we have to give ourselves every chance at winning. Playing at Etihad is out of our hands and not even remotely comparable.

There isn't anything wrong with playing in Darwin, it just needs better scheduling around it. Usually coming back hurts us, although it didn't last year.

Main thing is though, we are stable enough to stand on our own two feet, i'd rather be playing at our home ground (where the Grand final is played anyway). Caro nailed it, it's not that we can't win up there, we simply just don't need Darwin anymore or to sell home games anywhere

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the club is doing well by the time the Darwin game comes around I'd expect us to NOT renew this agreement.

Seriously, we had record members and crowds this year and that'll only improve if we actually make finals.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm OK with this relationship (prefer one game, not two) but have NFI why we play a club with a decent supporter base up there. We should be looking to play Gold Coast or someone and get some degree of homeground advantage.

Can we play a team that has no supporter base up there? If norf can get us in tassie surely we can drag them to darwin

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm OK with this relationship (prefer one game, not two) but have no idea why we play a club with a decent supporter base up there. We should be looking to play Gold Coast or someone and get some degree of homeground advantage.

Even gold coast would get more support there then us

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm OK with this relationship (prefer one game, not two) but have no idea why we play a club with a decent supporter base up there. We should be looking to play Gold Coast or someone and get some degree of homeground advantage.
Its so disappointing to hear our boos being drowned out by the cheers of opposition fans.

Back