**** darwin

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I don’t understand why you use the Crows as the other team as opposed to a badly supported/followed team. You get 5000+ crows supporters at the G. You would be lucky to get 500 GWS supporters.

As a Crows supporter living in Melbourne it reduces the games I can get to!
It's not our decision, the AFL goes with the Adelaide based teams because they know it will mean a "big" vocal crowds due to the support they have in NT, combined with the support we've generated playing there for so long now.

It's a smart business decision for them, but makes it pretty ordinary for us obviously.

I don’t understand why you use the Crows as the other team as opposed to a badly supported/followed team. You get 5000+ crows supporters at the G. You would be lucky to get 500 GWS supporters.

As a Crows supporter living in Melbourne it reduces the games I can get to!
Maybe because there's no point playing teams no one cares about up there

T
It's not our decision, the AFL goes with the Adelaide based teams because they know it will mean a "big" vocal crowds due to the support they have in NT, combined with the support we've generated playing there for so long now.

It's a smart business decision for them, but makes it pretty ordinary for us obviously.
The attendance at the game was 6,000 people. If a professional sports team is seriously affected by a minor difference in levels of support from crowd noise (at a ground bigger than the MCG) it should just fold.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Neither do I. Play GWS/GC up there for ****s sake, not the Crows or Eagles.

Doesn't the other team have to agree to play there, too? Hence we end up playing teams at other grounds where they have more than a vestige of support?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Maybe because there's no point playing teams no one cares about up there
With a crowd of 6000, does it really matter?? If they want a game or two of AFL for premiership points, then they get the games they are given. The only team that should matter is ours as we are the home team and we are doing the hard yards. So who we play shouldn't matter to the locals. We should be playing the expansion teams there. The Giants are a gun team, so why wouldn't NT want to see them play live?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Like we agree to play in Hobart and Geelong every year?

Nope, the clubs we play have no consultation in it

I thought we might with Hobart, given we've had a fair few Tassie Dees float through the club in recent years. I don't pay much attention to the formulation of the draw, obviously.

I know yesterday wasn't Darwin, and sure Alice is nice BUT,

Despite the money, * the NT. I watched on the TV yesterday and watched as our club bowed down to probs AFL demands to play a team that has better representation in the area, even with the last 6 years it amounts to not much support. For starters at our home game, i'd like for the eagles not to wear their indigenous Guernsey. You want a pick of jumper? Then ******* play your own home games up there! It's like when Port demanded Gold Coast not wear their home jumper in their home game in china, or when collingwood demanded norf where their away jumper at norfs home game years ago, i don't give a toss if they're still wearing white shorts, they can wear white shorts with their standard away jumper. Club needs to grow some balls and say, our home game our rules, but as follows you can see we just constantly bent over all day, on and off the ground

Auzzie the Eagle paraded around at our home game, i don't give a flying * if the damn bird was born in the NT, the fact that the thing is paraded at Eagles home games in WA and has been flown in to be shown of at a Melbourne home game is just ******* insulting to us, another example of the club just bending over. Then watching the coin toss, my god the coin toss. Now i'm not raggin on the guy, but please Melbourne don't choose someone decked out in Eagles attire with his kid to toss the coin at a home game, some passionate fan from the suburbs back home missed out on tossing the coin at the MCG because of you, at least when you play a home game somewhere else pick someone who at least ******* follows the team to toss the coin, Even that aus Kick kid they found on Friday could have been given a go. And while the crowd was maybe just in our favour nothing turns my stomach more than listening to the Eagles nuffie yelling "cmon eagles" by the effects mic, that moron alone at a small ground almost balances crowd support back in WCE's favour

And while the crowd was maybe just in our favour nothing turns my stomach more than listening to the Eagles nuffie yelling "cmon eagles" by the effects mic, that moron alone at a small ground almost balances crowd support back in WCE's favour
Fly up the woohoo guy from Adelaide.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Despite the money, fu** the NT. I watched on the TV yesterday and watched as our club bowed down to probs AFL demands to play a team that has better representation in the area, even with the last 6 years it amounts to not much support. For starters at our home game, i'd like for the eagles not to wear their indigenous Guernsey. You want a pick of jumper? Then ******* play your own home games up there! It's like when Port demanded Gold Coast not wear their home jumper in their home game in china, or when collingwood demanded norf where their away jumper at norfs home game years ago, i don't give a toss if they're still wearing white shorts, they can wear white shorts with their standard away jumper. Club needs to grow some balls and say, our home game our rules, but as follows you can see we just constantly bent over all day, on and off the ground

Auzzie the Eagle paraded around at our home game, i don't give a flying fu** if the damn bird was born in the NT, the fact that the thing is paraded at Eagles home games in WA and has been flown in to be shown of at a Melbourne home game is just ******* insulting to us, another example of the club just bending over. Then watching the coin toss, my god the coin toss. Now i'm not raggin on the guy, but please Melbourne don't choose someone decked out in Eagles attire with his kid to toss the coin at a home game, some passionate fan from the suburbs back home missed out on tossing the coin at the MCG because of you, at least when you play a home game somewhere else pick someone who at least ******* follows the team to toss the coin, Even that aus Kick kid they found on Friday could have been given a go. And while the crowd was maybe just in our favour nothing turns my stomach more than listening to the Eagles nuffie yelling "cmon eagles" by the effects mic, that moron alone at a small ground almost balances crowd support back in WCE's favour

Excellent rant.

I agree with the bit about the coin toss. Don’t know how it was decided but you’d think we could have put more of a home game feel to the day.

I will point out that the Eagles had never played in Alice Springs before yesterday though (I think?).

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Despite the money, fu** the NT. I watched on the TV yesterday and watched as our club bowed down to probs AFL demands to play a team that has better representation in the area, even with the last 6 years it amounts to not much support. For starters at our home game, i'd like for the eagles not to wear their indigenous Guernsey. You want a pick of jumper? Then ******* play your own home games up there! It's like when Port demanded Gold Coast not wear their home jumper in their home game in china, or when collingwood demanded norf where their away jumper at norfs home game years ago, i don't give a toss if they're still wearing white shorts, they can wear white shorts with their standard away jumper. Club needs to grow some balls and say, our home game our rules, but as follows you can see we just constantly bent over all day, on and off the ground

Auzzie the Eagle paraded around at our home game, i don't give a flying fu** if the damn bird was born in the NT, the fact that the thing is paraded at Eagles home games in WA and has been flown in to be shown of at a Melbourne home game is just ******* insulting to us, another example of the club just bending over. Then watching the coin toss, my god the coin toss. Now i'm not raggin on the guy, but please Melbourne don't choose someone decked out in Eagles attire with his kid to toss the coin at a home game, some passionate fan from the suburbs back home missed out on tossing the coin at the MCG because of you, at least when you play a home game somewhere else pick someone who at least ******* follows the team to toss the coin, Even that aus Kick kid they found on Friday could have been given a go. And while the crowd was maybe just in our favour nothing turns my stomach more than listening to the Eagles nuffie yelling "cmon eagles" by the effects mic, that moron alone at a small ground almost balances crowd support back in WCE's favour

Agreed the decked out in West Coast gear coin tossers was embarrassing, as was that bloody bird

Agree with all of this.

Pisses me off.

Next week Hawthorn will take Brisbane down to Tassie (to an even bigger home ground advantage than normal) and bend them over.

Meanwhile we are playing teams from SA, WA and Qld who love playing in the heat, in a place that is 10 degrees hotter than our normal playing conditions.

Add what you have said above and it is a load of s**t. Club doesn't put in a lot of effort to secure decent prices for Demons fans to get up and watch it. Or if they do I haven't heard about it.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I actually really like the Eagle. I don’t mind him being brought along for a flap around. I would prefer WC to leave their song at home though.

I wish we could sus out a way to dress up some bird in a Demons costume with a cape and little horns and clutching a little trident. Maybe if we set fire to some wattle birds and released them as a prelude to the match?

I actually really like the Eagle. I don’t mind him being brought along for a flap around. I would prefer WC to leave their song at home though.

I wish we could sus out a way to dress up some bird in a Demons costume with a cape and little horns and clutching a little trident. Maybe if we set fire to some wattle birds and released them as a prelude to the match?
Just put little devil horns on the eagle

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agreed the decked out in West Coast gear coin tossers was embarrassing, as was that bloody bird
Even with the coin tossers in eagles colours it was still our home game and the Eagles should have called. Ump straight away went “Nathan your call”.

He might have called incorrectly and we may have had to kick to the left and avoided aiming to that bloody left hand goal post in the first quarter !

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Basically we're a weak, soft club. We quietly do whatever the AFL wants us to do without any fuss and we roll over and show our soft bits in every trade.

As soft as butter

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne should be the club that is promoted first when it comes to games in Alice or Darwin considering they are Melbourne's home games (so coin toss supporter and perhaps someone dressed as a demon shooting down the eagle I would consider supporting).

That said, I am really glad Melbourne gets to be a part of these major sporting events for those places. I think they are meaningful. And if that is the trade off for the A.F.L stepping in and saving this franchise I think it is fair enough.

Back