**** darwin

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
A million dollars

Isn't it $500k?

I can understand the need to sell games 5+ years ago, but we're completely ****ed as a footy club if in the year 2020 we have to give away home games to be financially solvent. Especially to clubs who have a much bigger following in those areas. We lose two games before the season even starts, not to mention how terrible we always play the following week.

If we're going to sell home games how about we pick a location where we can have an actual home ground advantage, but the problem is we're a pissant little club that allows ourselves get bullied by the AFL.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Isn't it $500k?

I can understand the need to sell games 5+ years ago, but we're completely f’ed as a footy club if in the year 2020 we have to give away home games to be financially solvent. Especially to clubs who have a much bigger following in those areas. We lose two games before the season even starts, not to mention how terrible we always play the following week.

If we're going to sell home games how about we pick a location where we can have an actual home ground advantage, but the problem is we're a pissant little club that allows ourselves get bullied by the AFL.

Hawthorn also still effectively sell home games and are doing pretty well off the field.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Isn't it $500k?

I can understand the need to sell games 5+ years ago, but we're completely f’ed as a footy club if in the year 2020 we have to give away home games to be financially solvent. Especially to clubs who have a much bigger following in those areas. We lose two games before the season even starts, not to mention how terrible we always play the following week.

IMO the bigger worry would be not being able to beat other teams at a neutral venue we have experience at.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Did you read the part after 'especially'? The Hawthorn deal works for them because they also have a genuine home ground advantage.

We, on the other hand, basically hand over home games to Freo, Adelaide and the Eagles. The Hawks situation is nothing like our idiocy
We won against crows at Alice Springs last year. Convincingly. We won against Freo in Darwin last year. Convincingly.

There is no deep narrative to unpick. We lost the NT games this year for the same reason we have lost most of our MCG games this year. We didn’t play very well.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
We won against crows at Alice Springs last year. Convincingly. We won against Freo in Darwin last year. Convincingly.

There is no deep narrative to unpick. We lost the NT games this year for the same reason we have lost most of our MCG games this year. We didn’t play very well.

What's our win/lose % in those games and our win/lose % the week after.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
What's our win/lose % in those games and our win/lose % the week after.
Off the top of my head not sure, but I thought we won both games the next week in 2018?

We are a team capable of playing bad footy anywhere in the world. Our home ground being the best example of this

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Off the top of my head not sure, but I thought we won both games the next week in 2018?

We are a team capable of playing bad footy anywhere in the world. Our home ground being the best example of this

I worked it out last year, even with those wins it was deplorable, really bad.

I also remember back to seasons when we're starting to play good footy, go up there, lose pretty badly then look exhausted for the next couple of games. We play teams up there who are more used to playing in hot weather than we are, so dumb.

I believe Freo have travel to Tassie 8 consecutive times. Now i thought Kadina park ws rough, but they drag freo a long way to play them

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I worked it out last year, even with those wins it was deplorable, really bad.

I also remember back to seasons when we're starting to play good footy, go up there, lose pretty badly then look exhausted for the next couple of games. We play teams up there who are more used to playing in hot weather than we are, so dumb.
Alice Springs isn’t especially hot - and the rest of this is just silly. We lose in NT for the same reasons we lose against those same teams elsewhere. Because we don’t play as well as they do.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Alice Springs isn’t especially hot - and the rest of this is just silly. We lose in NT for the same reasons we lose against those same teams elsewhere. Because we don’t play as well as they do.
A high of 21 on Sunday :straining:

Those poor blokes

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
So you're perfectly ok with playing clubs up there who have a larger supporter base than we do. The Eagles even wore their indigenous jumper lol, we can't even get them to wear their away jumper. What does that say about us as a footy club?
Who cares what they wore.

I’ll be honest - I don’t really mind that’s stuff. It’s pretty unimportant. The issue with us, as a footy club, over the last decade is that we lose more games than we win. So for me, what I would like to see from us as a club is the ability to play better and to do it consistently.

If we switched places with Hawks and played games in Launceston instead, I have no doubt we could lose any number of games there too.

Alright this debate has gone long enough and i can see it isn't staying civil. We don't speak down to each other, we don't insult each other. So to everyone involved wether you think your right or wrong, time to drop it. We are meant be respectful to one another on this board and if this continues penalties will be issues.

Starting now, any further posts on this debate that are not conducted civilly and respectfully will be deleted. Should the argument continue even further i will be shutting this thread and warnings will be issued

Last edited:
Alright this debate has gone long enough and i can see it isn't staying civil. We don't speak down to each other, we don't insult each other. So to everyone involved wether you think your right or wrong, time to drop it. We are meant be respectful to one another on this board and if this continues penalties will be issues.

Starting now, any further posts on this debate that are not conducted civilly and respectfully will be deleted. Should the argument continue even further i will be shutting this thread and warnings will be issued
It’s difficult when one side is blatantly wrong though

Also if you’re worried about it being hostile maybe edit the thread title to something more balanced

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I always like ross Lyon’s ethos,

Anytime anywhere any place

We need to get to the point were we are able to rock up to a cow paddock in warnabool the day after a game and beat the top 4 back to back to back

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not against selling a couple of home games for the money we desperately need.

Where Hawthorn have done well, is that they’ve chosen a market which has the benefit of increasing the supporter base.

I’m not sure that playing in the NT is going to do that for us. It’s not a big market up there, it’s not a consumer market and like someone mentioned, most of the supporters who come out are just going to follow the side who has the best indigenous players.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I’m not against selling a couple of home games for the money we desperately need.

Where Hawthorn have done well, is that they’ve chosen a market which has the benefit of increasing the supporter base.

I’m not sure that playing in the NT is going to do that for us. It’s not a big market up there, it’s not a consumer market and like someone mentioned, most of the supporters who come out are just going to follow the side who has the best indigenous players.

Back to China then...

Back