Family & Relationships Dating Hints & Tips For The Less Than Suave Male/Female

Remove this Banner Ad

After a 6 months break from all things dating and relationships, I'm looking at getting back into that stupidly large aquarium known as the dating pool. Thing is, I'm not the most confident guy, my social skills are a bit hazy being a fairly introverted person, and all my past relationships I've fallen into more or less. I don't want things to be like that this time around, I want to be able to efficiently navigate myself around the dating scene without too many hook ups, and that's why I'm turning to the trustworthy* people of BigFooty. If you could turn around to your early 20's self and give them some handy dating advice, what would it be? What are your hints and tips for navigating the modern dating scene?

This should be a fun thread.

Put yourself in situations where you can meet people without any immediate romantic expectations, and focus on that rather than finding a date specifically. Getting to know another person a bit before you pigeonhole them as 'potential partner' is a lot more effective, takes the pressure off, and greatly reduces the chances of asking out someone unsuitable. It also ensures you keep the door open to making new friends and acquaintances, which in itself is helpful. Half the reason people resort to online dating is because their social circles are stagnant.

That's not to say you shouldn't be upfront about romantic interest, or drag your feet on asking someone out. It's just good to be aware that too much emphasis on 'closing the deal' quickly encourages you to view someone as a target rather than a human being. If you're looking for the real thing, there's no rush.

If you're not confident, find a way to make yourself feel confident.

Eg. Wear something that makes you feel cool, or that you think you look good in. It should provide a bit of a boost.

If you're not confident, find a way to make yourself feel confident.

Eg. Wear something that makes you feel cool, or that you think you look good in. It should provide a bit of a boost.

That's a good practical tip. I'd even have a couple drinks (note- I said couple 1 or 2) to just relax a bit.

Re. dressing- I dont need to be dressed up. Last night I was in black jeans, black ankle boots and a nice top and felt great. For me it's the hair- if i have nice hair, (not done at the hairdressers, just myself) das it. If my hairs s**t I probably wont leave the house :D

Also nails done imo. Makes me feel better. Dont wear a lot of make up tho other than that.

Good luck to the OP. It's hard.

And dont for a second assume women/the woman isn't as or even more nervous than yourself. Just saying..

Last edited:
Uhhhhhhhmmmm............Wait for it............................................

OK. Don't have any pre conceived ideas. Ignore your mates/advice/trends/techniques, won't say just be yourself but you are more likely to be confident when you are comfortable and at ease. Either through a familiar routine (what do you like doing in your free time/could you make a date out of it)? or what you enjoy doing. Go from there.

Drink and talk to as many women as you can. Get Snapchats/numbers/Facebooks then reconnect later.

Although this hasn't really worked for me, I'm single. But I find it better than the whole Tinder thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you tried being better looking?

In srsness though a lot of it has been covered in thread.
If you've got some good photos get tinder. Buy some decent clothes etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back