Dave Warner tea time incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some anonymous nobody on twitter calling him a s**t cricketer is a bit rich. He made it to test level.
Plenty of anonymous nobodies on BF call elite sportspeople the same thing all the time.

It was injuries not poor bowling that cost him wasn't it?

He averaged 27 at test level.

IMO yes. Absolutely killed us when he came in for that 2010-11 Ashes then injuries hit and he was a good 10kph down and not the same bowler when he came back for the 2013-14 Ashes which was his last test

Massive pressure on Warner for the rest of the series now. He acted like a flog of the highest order during the first test and crossed the line on many occasions. It'll make him a massive target in South Africa, both in the media and on the field and he will need to perform, as an Australian "vice captain".

I also hope for his sake, that his wife isn't travelling with him.... .

I reckon with many it would have the opposite effect to that intended.

I played cricket with a bloke many years ago, and the more he got sledged when he was batting the harder it was to get him out.

And that's just park cricket.....

Yep, and I remember the 2nd Innings when de Kock walked in, a number of players were giving it to him. I thought to myself, "The last thing we need is to make this guy more determined". That is what appeared to happen.

When I played, the sledging was mainly good natured banter, or a bowler blowing off steam because you just nicked him through slip for 4. If someone did get personal and nasty, it only made me more determined to beat him. That's why I can't comprehend its effectiveness.

The sledges of this nature are not really fully directed at the players wives and their history. They are more directed toward the players for choosing to marry their partners.

The sledges at Marc Murphy and Warner were less about **** shaming and more about shaming the male sport stars for marrying the women who had the history with other sporting stars.

The shaming is not toward the actions of the woman but to the man for choosing to marry the woman.

Murphy and Warner may get indignant but their anger is more of a sign of their insecurities regarding their wives history than it is about them defending their honour.

Is 'bush pig' seen as an offensive term?
Its certainly not a compliment
26.png

I also hope for his sake, that his wife isn't travelling with him.... .
This from news.com.au article.

'Candice Warner is currently in Durban with the team'.

Really unfortunate choice of words in the circumstances. I'm sure they mean she is travelling with her husband.

So apparently this sledging slinging war between De Kock and Warner went for an hour on the field.

WTF were the umpires doing? sack both of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always been a convenient way for opposition teams to gain media and public sympathy whilst playing the "Big Bad Australians". The Poms were amazing, they complained about Australian sledging the moment they got here .... from Jimmy Anderson of all people. Judging from many posts on this forum, it works.

The time it really cracked me up was Viv Richards complaining at the same time the West Indies were belting the crap out of us with their 4 quick bowers. Apparently we were supposed to feel sorry for the poor defenceless little West Indians :)

I can't believe sledging even works at Test level (if it does). These players have reached Test level because they possess strength of character and powers of concentration. If a bit of chatter really distracted you, a batsman wouldn't make it past A Grade cricket.

It probably doesn't affect them and that's why they do it. They can still concentrate and perform despite giving and taking it. They veil it with the "put them off their game" line, but really in the competitive nature they are being egotistical immature pricks and want to insult. They could genuinely not like each other and the hours of play allow ample time one-upmanship

The sledges of this nature are not really fully directed at the players wives and their history. They are more directed toward the players for choosing to marry their partners.

The sledges at Marc Murphy and Warner were less about **** shaming and more about shaming the male sport stars for marrying the women who had the history with other sporting stars.

The shaming is not toward the actions of the woman but to the man for choosing to marry the woman.

Murphy and Warner may get indignant but their anger is more of a sign of their insecurities regarding their wives history than it is about them defending their honour.
Warped logic there. So, no harm intended to the females? Unfortunately they’re just collateral damage, and no-one should get too upset because they’ve had such a “chequered history” anyway? Seriously, what sort of moral compass do you operate under?

Urrrrggghhh this whole s**t is just boring now.

It's the same blokes pretty much over and over getting involved. The majority of which are very tedious characters (at best) so you don't even feel like you can relate to them and have a bit of a laugh or take a side because a lot of them just come across as dickheads.

The legendary sledger's of the past have been replaced with "bush pig", "wife's a ****", "* you lets fight".

The game doesn't need to be sanitised but the current iteration of sledging that is going on now has been happening for 10 to 15 years and it's absolutely ******* boring now.

I reckon with many it would have the opposite effect to that intended.

I played cricket with a bloke many years ago, and the more he got sledged when he was batting the harder it was to get him out.

And that's just park cricket.....
If I remember correctly the Australians were banned from sledging Brian Lara because it was like injecting him with super serum when he was batting.

If Davey boy gets upset when people talk about his wife then I suggest he keeps his mouth shut about sisters and mothers of opposition players. De Kock had every right to give it back to the little moron.
I love how everyone has backed De Kock, just because he has a baby face, and his name is Quentin.......

Yes, hopefully just fines for them, fingers-crossed Q is suspended. Soyboy causal analysis aside, these incidents are probably quite common, this one happened to get caught on tape. It will simply be he-said-they-said for Joe Outrage's sake until they move on like sportsmen do, not sure what the exchange was all about as I don't have the crystal clear high-definition contrast of an OLED, but pretty sure I could see David calling him "Quinton Loves".

Having played a little bit of cricket in South Africa I was surprised at the amount of sledging that went on compared to Australia. Maybe you internalise it a bit playing in Australia but certainly the South Africans I played against weren't shy in offering their thoughts about your sexual proclivities, especially involving farm animals, or how the length of your hair might relate to your desire for sexual contact with strange men and other such niceties. Bit it absolutely ended the second you walked off the field. I did, however, on ocassion have to offer my after game apologies to one of the opposition batsmen whom I'd loudly observed to be a "f****n arsey campaigner" when one delivery squirted off the inside edge upon which my captain suggested that that may not be the most appropriate language to use when conversing with a church deacon. My apology was accepted.

From Wiki (with sources)

Sounds like someone your mother would love....

Harsh, she's allowed to do whatever she wants.

I bet every single woman you love in your life has done the same/worse as what Candice did.

Not that it matters in this discussion, but harsh to ****-shame a woman because her private life is open to the public more than any other.

Warner is a sook. Im sure he gives as good as he gets, and is been very precious. I like the sledging it adds to the atmosphere

Harsh, she's allowed to do whatever she wants.

I bet every single woman you love in your life has done the same/worse as what Candice did.

Not that it matters in this discussion, but harsh to ****-shame a woman because her private life is open to the public more than any other.

I don't disagree, but given that Warner married her knowing her history he would be well advised to keep his mouth shut when the idea of sledging another player's female relatives pops into his head because he sooks it up when the volley is returned. The problem lies with him not Candice "Sonny Bill" Warner nor the opposition.

This situation is about competitive men playing top level sport and clashing, not a Germane Greer book reading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back