Retired David Armitage

Remove this Banner Ad

‪Armitage trade talk squashed http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-10-03/armitage-trade-talk-squashed via @stkildafc‬

ec25fea37ebe4a1e87d114870d03881f.jpg

Someone needs to talk up Armo a bit on here.
He's been a great player, he's been injured, and half the people on our forum seem to think he's had both legs amputated or something.
IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM TO COME BACK LIKE 2015.

That's what I like to hear!

IMO he's just had a really massive pre-season for 2018! Gonna be fit and firing.

A 2015 Armo and a 2013 Freeman would completely change the makeup of our midfield. How likely is it to happen? Well...this isn't the thread for that type of talk! :D

Armitage nearly ready to go again
Josh Gabelich December 11, 2017 9:43 AM

After two injury-ravaged years, star midfielder David Armitage is set to return to full training after the Christmas break as he eyes a return to the game in 2018.

Despite playing every game in 2016, the 29-year-old was plagued by a debilitating back injury, before managing only two appearances this year due to a persistent groin issue that required two bouts of surgery.

While he’s not quite out of the woods yet, Armitage has banked a chunk of running over the last month and a half and is nearly ready to re-join the main group.

“I am going really well. I don’t want to say I am flying because it’s a scary injury. I thought I was over it midway through the year and it snuck back up on me,’’ he told the Herald Sun.

“But I have had a good five or six weeks of running and am slowly building up. I am starting to do agility and repeat speed stuff so I am not too far off getting back with the main group.

“I feel like a new recruit, a year off does that to you.”

Armitage, who finished second behind Jack Steven in the 2015 Trevor Barker Award, is desperate to roll his sleeves up and get back to work.

“I have got this renewed energy,’’ he said.

“You can take footy for granted and I missed a year so I am pretty keen to get stuck into it.”

With St Kilda Coach Alan Richardson extending his contract at the start of October, Armitage said the club has the right man to lead the club back towards September, someone who strikes the balance between being supportive and challenging at the right time.

“I have the utmost respect for Richo. He is good for every bloke on the list, he doesn’t exclude anyone,” he said.

“He is brutally honest and hugs you when you need a hug and challenges you when you need to be challenged.

“He has got a really good balance. He has got plenty of mongrel, he will never disrespect anyone in public but at the right time he can rev the group up. Behind closed doors, he is very challenging at times.”

Armo has been named both in the squad for our first JLT game and in the preview write-up. So it looks very likely that he will get significant game time. Looking forward to seeing No 20 back on the park, even if it is just Ikon Park.

It's only JLT1 but it was a great return to the field for No 20 last night at Ikon Park against Carlton. Was prominent in the centre early, chased down a couple of Blues and laid a decent tackle or two plus copped a heavy knock but still got the ball onto the next player in the chain in probably our best link-up play of the night. Finished with 24 possessions (14 contested) and 8 clearances. Definitely a good thing to come out of a dim Princes Park.

I didn't think Armo was as strong against the Dees as he was in JLT1 against the Blues although I did watch the latter game in person and last night's on TV. The stats bear out that Dave didn't have as much impact last night. 16 possessions, 3 contested and only one clearance. He did have 4 tackles and kicked a lovely goal having spent 65% TOG. That's two in a row seemingly unscathed. Looking forward to him stepping against Brisbane in a couple of weeks when the real stuff starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not long to go now.

As we enter the first week of the 2018 footy season I'm looking forward to seeing the announcement of our team for Saturday against Brisbane. I think Armo has been good enough in the JLT games to show he is in our best 22 and I think the R1 team will reflect that. I also expect that after the last two years he has had, two pre-season matches are not enough to get him up to speed again for AFL footy but by R3 or R4 we will start to see exactly what he is capable of this season and what the younger players need to match to threaten his spot in the side.

Round 1, 24 March 2018 - Etihad Stadium
StK 107 def Bris 82

I would say Armo had a solid match against the Lions. Don't remember anything too flashy but lots of workman-like stuff. Riding tackles and moving the ball forward. There was one extraordinary incident where a Brisbane player went to ground in the centre square, rolled a few times and in the process took out Armo's legs with his legs. No free kick. Luckily Armo recovered after limping around for a short while.

I think Dave will get better as he gets more games under his belt. He gets the ball (24 disposals), moves it on to another Saints player (87.5% DE) and can get the ball clear at stoppages (3 centre clearances and 1 around the ground). I think he could tackle more (2) and would love to see him kick some goals (0).

Key stats: 24 disposals, 7 contested; 87.5% DE (equal best with Gresham); 7 marks; 4 clearances; 2 tackles; 0 1%ers; 2 I50s; 0 goals; 0 behinds; 1 goal assist; 75% ToG

A good start to the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back