Recommitted David Astbury [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

What are Tigers fans gut feel on Astubury? Would love to get him at the dogs
He loves the club, but if someone throws stupid money at him we won’t be matching.

He loves the club, but if someone throws stupid money at him we won’t be matching.
What would you consider "stupid money"? It's no secret that in the past few years, the Dogs have made a couple offers in the vicinity of $700k-$800k to opposition players, so I imagine we'd still have a lot of room to spend. Although I'd rather not be spending $800k on Astbury if we could avoid it

What would you consider "stupid money"? It's no secret that in the past few years, the Dogs have made a couple offers in the vicinity of $700k-$800k to opposition players, so I imagine we'd still have a lot of room to spend. Although I'd rather not be spending $800k on Astbury if we could avoid it
$700-$800k is stupid money for Astbury. He’s a good stopper but is incredibly slow and questionable by foot. 29 next Feb as well.

I think it will depend on how much Garthwaite comes on this season.

$700-$800k is stupid money for Astbury. He’s a good stopper but is incredibly slow and questionable by foot. 29 next Feb as well.

I think it will depend on how much Garthwaite comes on this season.
Yeah with someone like Astbury, if Richmond's youth can step up to take his place, I feel it's more likely we could get away with paying something like $500k-$550k without having the bid matched. He'd surely be worth a lot more to us than he would be to the Tigers regardless

Yeah with someone like Astbury, if Richmond's youth can step up to take his place, I feel it's more likely we could get away with paying something like $500k-$550k without having the bid matched. He'd surely be worth a lot more to us than he would be to the Tigers regardless
Yeah agree. I think he’s a good fit for the Bulldogs but generally speaking, you have to pay overs to lure your targets. We did with Prestia and Lynch and I’m sure we will again. I don’t know where the club sits with him but I think we could afford to lose him. As mentioned, Garthwaite’s progress will be crucial.

Astbury would not leave for $550k and would stay at Richmond for $450k

it would need to be a cant say no deal 3x700k would doi it imo

Astbury would not leave for $550k and would stay at Richmond for $450k

it would need to be a cant say no deal 3x700k would doi it imo
Yeah makes it a tough choice, because I wouldn't be happy paying that price, and would understand him not leaving for any less. Might help our case if he gets overtaken by someone like Garthwaite and wants the likelihood of playing, but I doubt that happens this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks are well known for bringing in older defenders on good coin, If there are 2-3 suitors then the money could easily go up $100k-$150 with alot of clubs having room in their cap and want a solid mature defender to sure up their defence.

Hawks are well known for bringing in older defenders on good coin, If there are 2-3 suitors then the money could easily go up $100k-$150 with alot of clubs having room in their cap and want a solid mature defender to sure up their defence.
Hawks going all in for coniglio they won’t have anything left if that goes through

I could see clubs offering 600k for 4 years which I think would be enough to get him to leave
4 years is risky at his age. He might sign for less pa but the security of an extra season or two.

There aren't too many mature KPDs floating around so the market will push up his contract.

I wouldnt mind Astbury leaving for more $$.
Hawks would be a good landing spot for him.
Perfect replacement for Frawley.
We are Garthwaight coming through now who will play the rest of the year.
With Rance back next year Astbury will be the one to go IMO.

Clubs would be silly to pay big money for Astbury. He's a role player. He plays his role very well, but I don't think you can plug him into someone else's system and expect him to be the number one guy.

Clubs would be silly to pay big money for Astbury. He's a role player. He plays his role very well, but I don't think you can plug him into someone else's system and expect him to be the number one guy.
would be a nice pairing with Tarrant for us since thompson would have to be retiring

getting him as a free agent would be good for us and keeps our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back