You guys did well with getting 32 year old Jarrod waite for 4 years
If it only costs cap space then its a no lose situation and

Thompson is 33 (probably last year)
Tarrant 30
Daw 28 but a long road

McKay is 21
Larkey is only 21
Durdin 22 but looking like he wont make it

If Thompson retires he could be a good fit, But not sure if Astbury would go to north melbourne

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
He'll be 29 next year so I reckon it will be one final 3 year deal at the Tigers before retirement. I think players want to be one club players unless theres significant reasons not to. Dont underestimate the strong connection he has to play again with his best mate Rance and help him get back to footy as Rance once did with him.

Also, I'm not sure Astbury is the defender you go out and pay massive can't refuse overs for to pry him away from a club he doesnt want to leave. In recent memory, the Tigers just dont lose best 22 players they want to keep, and rarely do those players want to leave.
Was Lids not best 22?

the Tigers just dont lose best 22 players they want to keep

Was Lids not best 22?

He was but we were happy for him to leave. Ask some of our younger players like Ben Lennon what Lids was like when it came to club culture.

Safe to say we were offered overs for Brett as well. A first and a 3rd rounder for a 29 year old is highway robbery.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He is a classic Hawthorn recruit IMO.
Under rated player that will come in and play a solid role at the Hawks ala Frawley

Brian Lake was over 30 when he crossed from doggies to the hawks so Clarkson doesnt mind getting them into the club with 3-4 years left Lake ended up playing 54 games for the hawks and i could easily see similar with Astbury as he has been sensational last 4 years and over shadowed by Rance

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
2 factors besides money

If we win the flag I wouldnt blame him leaving for a bit of pay day.
If Garth comes along nicely all year and the offer nets us an end of first rd pick plus frees up some salary in our cap then just maybe
we may encourage him to go.

We will need some extra cash to pay the young blokes and I fear we may even lose a young bloke we cant afford to keep.

Bolton, Balta, Stack and Ross have all shown they will be good players their next contracts they will demand a bit more coin.

View of most Dogs fans is he isn’t really a key back. Plays his best footy in the ruck. He suits some forwards like resting ruckman but gets exposed with anyone with pace like Brown yesterday
Ah fair enough.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dont believe we would go more than $400k x 3 years
If he's willing to leave for cash / guarantee of not losing his spot, then the Dogs would be stupid not to beat that. Could easily pay upwards of $500k x 3 and not even blink an eye, while also plugging a serious hole in our defence

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
If he's willing to leave for cash / guarantee of not losing his spot, then the Dogs would be stupid not to beat that. Could easily pay upwards of $500k x 3 and not even blink an eye, while also plugging a serious hole in our defence
I don’t believe he would split for that narrow a gap , he had an opportunity a while ago to go to lions and stayed , very tight with playing group

Back