Toast David Astbury

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to really come into his own as Rance's partner in crime. He's a great intercept mark and his decision making is now quicker and more efficient.

Has certainly earned himself another couple of years and proven he will be a much better key defender than Chaplin Groupie_
he is a *en dud

And ther in lies the conundrum, David came to the club as a highly touted junior forward, first afl game kicks three goals and was one of the shining lights in a loss to Melbourne.

The great Damien Hardwick decides he needs to play in defence.

Hardwick does not value forwards or kicking goals, his game plan and his theories on the game are a cancer to our club

I think we could upgrade on D Astbury pretty easily but atm there is no way we can even contemplate getting rid of him as our kpd stocks are so deleted it is criminal.
Yet just this week they were talking about giving the list manager a contract extension. That in itself is not just ignorant and delusional but downright stupid.

You sound like Hardwick talking about Dusty
ill beleive it when he plays in an rfc side that beats a decent side

we are going nowhere with him in the backline. hes just too slow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a slow dud who makes constant bad skill errors and is beaten on one on one contests at a regular rate. If he is a shining light we are a bigger joke than I ever imagined.
got no idea these blokes

Normally I'm one to see positives or give players time, however when it comes to Astbury, I've only ever seen him play well in losing sides to be perfectly honest.

To illustrate my point... Rance's improvement from average to elite circa 2012/2013 signaled a charge up the ladder for us, whereas Astbury playing well seems to happen as we slide down the ladder (ie. early 2014, and this year).

And ther in lies the conundrum, David came to the club as a highly touted junior forward, first afl game kicks three goals and was one of the shining lights in a loss to Melbourne.

The great Damien Hardwick decides he needs to play in defence.

Hardwick does not value forwards or kicking goals, his game plan and his theories on the game are a cancer to our club
Nail on the head!

Normally I'm one to see positives or give players time, however when it comes to Astbury, I've only ever seen him play well in losing sides to be perfectly honest.

To illustrate my point... Rance's improvement from average to elite circa 2012/2013 signaled a charge up the ladder for us, whereas Astbury playing well seems to happen as we slide down the ladder (ie. early 2014, and this year).

Losing sides are always defending ball is always down there

Astbury...
Always...
Always...
Always...
Always...
Always plays well in a beaten/flogged side...
He doesn't have to run the ball forward it just keeps coming in to the back line...
Constantly where he is standing

I feel like this is one of those correlation vs causation arguments. IMO Astbury has been playing well and I could see him playing a role in a good team.

He has a looooooong way still to go but is saved from the huge cull happening at seasons end

I feel like this is one of those correlation vs causation arguments. IMO Astbury has been playing well and I could see him playing a role in a good team.
Astbury is among the many reasons we are not competitive and why we have been the way we have for 30-odd years.
He's 'decent enough', but short of quality, or even very good. But stack him up againt the bevvy of poor talls that have come through our system over the last 20 years, he's better than a few and hence his worth is overstated.

He goes OK.

If you could combine his overhead skills with Chappy's ball skills you'd have a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back