Past David Ellard

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: David Ellard (rookie)

Watching him in the preseason and then watching our first round game against the Tigers, I can't help but think that Ellard could be our version of Jake King. Tenacious, not overly skilled but will make things happen and will always be in the thick of it.

If that's the play on the HFF where he sold the candy to two opponents, I was very impressed with hsi composure and nous. It isn't rocket science but it does take a cool footy brain under pressure and some confidence......most importantly he seems to have the right mindset for a rookie......work your arse off, take opportunities when they arise and play with confidence....it isn't an easy route into AFL footy. I like his comment in the Mike and Dan article that his aim at the end of the year (his first on the rookie list) to be elevated to the senior list :thumbsu:

Something I noticed over the weekend while watching various games is that selling candy has become quite rare, it seems only the players with the most silky skills even attempt it. Could it be that they'll look so foolish if they get caught with it that only the most skilled players have the confidence that they won't get caught?

Watching him in the preseason and then watching our first round game against the Tigers, I can't help but think that Ellard could be our version of Jake King. Tenacious, not overly skilled but will make things happen and will always be in the thick of it.

I think this is where 'our version' will be much better than Jake King :thumbsu:

Our version of King will be Anderson and Armfield who have the speed and possibly the agro to be run with players.

But better because they're not just 174 cms tall.

Our version of King will be Anderson and Armfield who have the speed and possibly the agro to be run with players.

But better because they're not just 174 cms tall.

King is playing above his weight because of some fast few steps when he pumps those little legs and he has a bit of pr1ck in him..

Aaron Joseph when he bulks up a bit :thumbsu:

Whats the go with Totino?I know he's small little rover type & playing with bullants this year, whats the fascination with him.

Where do I start :cool:

Seriously,

He was a ball magnet and a cult favourite among some of the TAC/draft watchers last year. Too small and no hurt factor to be draftable, could be a good VFL player, not much more to it than that really.

Where do I start :cool:

Seriously,

He was a ball magnet and a cult favourite among some of the TAC/draft watchers last year. Too small and no hurt factor to be draftable, could be a good VFL player, not much more to it than that really.

This guy I know works with him said he's a good kid, reckons he's pretty hard at the pill.

If he gets up to bullants firsts I'll watch him with interest.

This guy I know works with him said he's a good kid, reckons he's pretty hard at the pill.

If he gets up to bullants firsts I'll watch him with interest.

Yep, he works hard, does the team things, I think in time he should work his way into the Ants firsts.

The WABlues (sponsors) were very impressed with David. He was forthcoming to open up, humble but determined.
I think has all the elements of a bloke who will fit in perfectly once he gets up to AFL level.
Any reports on Bullants form etc?

The WABlues (sponsors) were very impressed with David. He was forthcoming to open up, humble but determined.
I think has all the elements of a bloke who will fit in perfectly once he gets up to AFL level.

I'll second that! He has a very good head on his shoulders and a great attitude, hard to imagine he's only 18! :thumbsu:

I'm very confident that he will find his place in our team and on the senior list moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any reports on Bullants form etc?

good feedback BG......the exact sort of character traits you would be looking for in a rookie pick :thumbsu:

good feedback BG......the exact sort of character traits you would be looking for in a rookie pick :thumbsu:
Gilly - is he getting a run with the Bullants?

Re: # 46. David Ellard (rookie)

Hats off to D Ellard
Kicked a goal in his first real game
Turned up to the function Sat even though he was not required to.
I hope this kid goes far. He is just a good sort!

Just of added background to his debut. (Hope ya don't mind Guns)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23678913-19742,00.html

CARLTON youngster David Ellard was driving home from a Sunday morning recovery session when his mobile phone rang.

It was his father, Rick, with some devastating news: two of his mates in Perth had died in a car crash the previous night.

Ellard pulled over and, in a quivering voice, asked his father which mates.

James Duff and William Walter, in their early 20s, were killed when their Commodore slammed into a truck on a highway outside Perth.

"When I told him (David), he pulled his car to the side of the road and shed a tear," Rick Ellard said from Perth yesterday.

David had known them for about 10 years and was devastated.

Three days later, he was elevated to the Blues' senior list for the injured Andrew Walker, after playing the first six rounds in the reserves.

"He was a bit down on Monday and Tuesday," his father said.

"Wednesday he was a little better after he was told he would debut against the Eagles in his home state. Friday he was much better. It took its toll, but the timing of the elevation really helped him."

Ellard, 19 in March, wanted to pay his respects to his mates and decided to wear two armbands in the match against the Eagles.

"It was a tough week for him and he wanted to do something," Rick Ellard said.

With the two black bands around his left bicep, he had the modest stats of four kicks, two marks and a goal.

"Playing on (David) Wirrpanda was a big thing as he'd idolised these guys growing up. He was over-awed by it," his father said.

Ellard remained in Perth after the Blues' win and attended the funeral on Monday

Possibility he may make way for Hadley this week. Hopefully he holds his spot in the side. Would love to see him play against the lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back