David King.......no more!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
I am just over this bloke. Not sure how many caught his dribble last night but I happened upon it quite by accident as have given up watching when he and MacLure come on. MacLure in particular often just gets his facts wrong and contradicts himself from week to week.

Anyway last night they were banging on about if we lose this weekend then the 'heat' will go on EM (i think it was he who he was referring to or maybe NB) but either way what a load of crap. How you could possibly argue that EM decision to go with Nathan Buckley was wrong based on the outcome of one game is just laughable.......particularly in a week where they players have had to deal with an experience that none of us would want to be in and have to play a really important game.

It was even dumber bc MM hasnt even coached a game yet with the Blues and King has him back as the mesiah. Last time I checked how his coaching went it wasnt that great. We got ripped apart towards the end of last season by Geelong who had figured us out and we were v lucky to get past the two finals we won. In the GF I think its fair to say he made some monumental errors in how he changed up the plan and then failed to counter the Hawkins dominance until it was to late. Sure MM is a v good coach and good luck to Carlton with him as whilst think BR had done a good job this year, MM wont let them down but lets not get carried away given how we fell away towards the end of last year and who was at the helm when it occurred.

Anyway, I dont know why I bother being upset about him bc he was just a failed assistant coach who couldnt get another gig and who now just delves into stats. As for MacLure well i just cant take him seriously at times. Good for a laugh but I wouldnt think any coaches sit at home waiting for his pearls of wisdom to be unleashed!

More of the current assistant coaches etc and less of the failed ones for me

Think OP is being a bit precious - I am no fan of Kingy's but he was referring to Bucks being under pressure if they lost - not Eddie.

And you are kidding yourself if you don't think there will be a world of hurt coming for Bucks in the press if they lose this week.

And I don't even remember referring him to the Malthouse appointment much at all.

Last time I checked how his coaching went it wasnt that great.

562636-collingwood-premiership.jpg

Atrocious, indeed.

King's grown on me although he has his fair share of nonsense.

Maclure is awesome. Best Carlton person ever. He's like Grant Thomas without an agenda.

You can tell the crew are pissing themselves with the gold MaClure comes up with every week.

"Midfielders? You're just underlings who push the ball further up the ground"

What a hero! :)

gotta give him credit where credit is due, he said Geelong would fail last year and got it wrong, he said Geelong would fail to make the finals this year, got it wrong, he said Geelong would lose to Fremantle in week 1 and got it right ;)

Gotta love these media muppets!
King was in love with Collingwood when they were 10-1 or something like that, I even remember him saying Buckley is the standout coach of the year.
A few months later, no surprise he's changed his tune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingy is very much hit and miss.

More miss than hit though.

gotta give him credit where credit is due, he said Geelong would fail last year and got it wrong, he said Geelong would fail to make the finals this year, got it wrong, he said Geelong would lose to Fremantle in week 1 and got it right ;)

Gotta love these media muppets!
King was in love with Collingwood when they were 10-1 or something like that, I even remember him saying Buckley is the standout coach of the year.
A few months later, no surprise he's changed his tune.

Mike Sheahan is awesome though because last week he said Geelong were the 2nd best side in it.

Amirite?

King made a prediction and actually stuck with it - NO ONE ELSE in the media ever does this. Robbo, for instance, didn't really lay into Carlton's season despite predicting they'd win the flag! Sheahan, Connolly, whoever pick the flavour of the month. King was very very wrong, but he stuck to his guns and tried to rationalise it. Would that more in his profession would do this rather than just go with what happened last week.

I think he's right - I think the heat will come on EM if Collingwood lose. Not sure whether or not it SHOULD but it will. Think about it - you've got Carlton on one side celebrating a new coach and (yet another) preseason full of high hopes and expectation, while at the other end you'll have a Collingwood side that has just bowed out in straight sets.

There's a view out there that Collingwood is crap - and it's kind of irritating. Collingwood is a damn fine team that had a tough draw and finished 4th and performed well in a tough final although they didn't win.

Collingwood could be excused for not even making top 4. Tough draw, and trying to plaster over the gaps left by Ball, Leon Davis, an entire coaching staff departing and Leigh Brown (whose departure has left Dawes with twice the responsibility and half the level of output).

Collingwood aren't the dominating beast they were in 2010/11 - but geez, it's not like they've fallen off the face of the earth. At the start of the year I was expecting Collingwood to really struggle. Instead Buckley handled the media really well and somehow brought the group together well enough that only 2 teams had more wins than them after Round 23.

So after that ramble I'm saying that Eddie did the wrong thing by not reviewing the contract after the premiership win, but the result, even if it's a loss on the weekend, doesn't suddenly warrant additional 'heat'.

What, you want more reserved cliched tripe from people currently employed by clubs who can't really speak their mind for fear that it might upset someone, give rival clubs ammunition, won't be politically correct, etc.

As to King, he is like most other media commentators - he gets some things right, he gets some things wrong. He does provide some decent insights from time to time. Not the worst bloke on the tube.

"It's an opinion business" - Ross Lyon 2012

These guys are paid to give an opinion. King and McLure are two of the better ones imo.
If, and it's a big if, Collingwood get rolled this week, of course the media will turn up the heat on Bucks on the back of Mick going to the Blues.

Mike Sheahan is awesome though because last week he said Geelong were the 2nd best side in it.

Amirite?

Mike Sheahan is a complete flog and his opinion changes on a daily basis (thank god he's not female).
David King believed in Collingwood and has done so for the last 3 years but for all his footy knowledge he failed to see some players in that squad who were drastically overrated.
Dawes is a prime example, even when he was playing well in 2010...anyone who's watched footy long enough could see the bloke is the epitome of a one dimensional footballer, he marks, kicks and that's it.

He only went against Geelong because history suggests they were the most likely team who would fall first.
His excuses last year were that we had no lead-up tall forwards o_O
What on earth was Podsiadly?
Mooney and Hawkins?

He's a joke and will be interesting to see what he says of Hawthorn if they do get beaten this year considering he sees absolutely no flaws in them apart from defense, which he only momentarily talked about.

I still won't forgive King for declaring we should fire Neeld in round 8! :O
That aside, I still hate him. But I respect his eagerness to commit to the role of "dickhead."

I am just over this bloke. Not sure how many caught his dribble last night but I happened upon it quite by accident as have given up watching when he and MacLure come on. MacLure in particular often just gets his facts wrong and contradicts himself from week to week.

Anyway last night they were banging on about if we lose this weekend then the 'heat' will go on EM (i think it was he who he was referring to or maybe NB) but either way what a load of crap. How you could possibly argue that EM decision to go with Nathan Buckley was wrong based on the outcome of one game is just laughable.......particularly in a week where they players have had to deal with an experience that none of us would want to be in and have to play a really important game.

It was even dumber bc MM hasnt even coached a game yet with the Blues and King has him back as the mesiah. Last time I checked how his coaching went it wasnt that great. We got ripped apart towards the end of last season by Geelong who had figured us out and we were v lucky to get past the two finals we won. In the GF I think its fair to say he made some monumental errors in how he changed up the plan and then failed to counter the Hawkins dominance until it was to late. Sure MM is a v good coach and good luck to Carlton with him as whilst think BR had done a good job this year, MM wont let them down but lets not get carried away given how we fell away towards the end of last year and who was at the helm when it occurred.

Anyway, I dont know why I bother being upset about him bc he was just a failed assistant coach who couldnt get another gig and who now just delves into stats. As for MacLure well i just cant take him seriously at times. Good for a laugh but I wouldnt think any coaches sit at home waiting for his pearls of wisdom to be unleashed!

Sorry SD - bit confused. In your post relating to DK commenting on EM and NB, you refer to MM. Is this Mick Malthouse or Mark Maclure ?

Perhaps we can agree to refer to Mark MacLure as MMac to avoid confusion.

Cheers

AL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back