Opinion David King rates Essendon's season F thus far - what do you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

The onus is on the players. If the players don't understand their role, than they should seek clarity on what their role actually is.

But they were, weren't they? Hence whatshisname getting the flick.

And F is appropriate for one reason - we lost to Carlton - go look at the current game to see why an F is fair.

That's the best thing that could have happened to us.

What will our rating be after we get drubbed by 100+ points against the Coasters in Perth next week? :think:

Again F, because King will tip us and then be shocked when we lose

The minimum expectation this year was to win a final.

Our current projection has us finishing outside of finals - an F is probably accurate.

Agree with what others have said though, Kingy’s probably just trying to cover his arse, after having us penciled in for the premiership.

Seriously, what was he thinking? I mean, I didn’t think we’d be as bad as we have been, but I certainly didnt think we’d be as good as he expected either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I won’t argue with the F, he must have given out at least 5 of them... Carlton, St Kilda, Brisbane and GC all deserving. That is a pretty high fail rate for the AFL.

Maybe we should get King to put in a submission for us to get a priority pick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maybe not Brisbane

When you are expected to be around the top 4 and find yourself closer to the bottom 4 then a F is exactly the mark we deserve.

When West Coast put a triple figure result on us next Thursday night, everyone will agree, then we will have an insignificant win and everyone will be optimistic again

maybe not Brisbane
Agree that Brisbane has looked better this year. Although have only won 8% of their games. The letter grade system is really just opinion without marking against an agreed set of standards based around performance and improvement.

Hopefully, we can do well for the remainder of the season, so we can see King do an equally silly over-correction.

Its probably a D I'd say.

The positives;-

• Wins against Geelong, Port, GWS & Adelaide
  • The form of recruits Stringer, Smith & Saad
  • Daniher will be back clunking huge marks again soon - he'll be keen to show how good he is once his over his injury woes.
  • We've had our share of injuries but get a few players will be available again soon including: Zakka, Gleeson, Colyer, & Ambrose
  • Francis back playing good footy in the reserves and certain to get a run in the seniors soon - could still be really good
  • We've had a chance to blood players like Guelfi, Redman, Clarke & Ridley - all have shown something

The negatives;-

• Not competitive with top teams like Collingwood & Richmond, and poor losses to Carlton & the Dogs
  • Mid range players like Parish, Laverde & Langford haven't come on as expected - yet....
  • Danihers kicking - still an issue - maybe it was a confidence/injury thing - lets hope so...
  • Lack of inside mids - Heppell tries his guts out but we really lack a high quality inside bull
  • The saga - an alleged ice addict/dealer named Bomber Thompson re opening old wounds we are all just trying to get past
  • lack of success - i thought it might change this year but nope - and with exception of the Gold Coast we've had the longest drought in the AFL of not winning a final :(

This season has been a huge disappointment. For the first couple of months it was a complete amateur hour.

We've been a few decent sides but we've also lost to a series of dreadful teams. We were initially reluctant to play youth and to this day remain beholden to a range of players who have never really achieved anything at AFL level. Outside of a few younger players, almost nobody has improved over last season. Furthermore, we appear to have completely deserted last years gameplan. Our very effective forward line has now become subpar and our midfield remains among the least effective in the competition.

Put all the pieces together and a F seems reasonable. Maybe an E if you are a glutton for punishment.

Maybe I take a different view to others. For me an F would be having a Carlton-esque season (in before "but they beat us, hence we get an F". Herpa-*******-derp). For context, I always viewed the lettering grades when at school as a C being slightly below average.

To date it's a below expectation season for sure. Does that really equate to an F? No.

Our losses in isolation are an F. Our last month has shown significant improvement The form of SSS and some of the young blood has been super encouraging. Overall the season is still below expectations but not an F. An F would indicate we've got nothing out of the season at all, significantly below expectations is where I'm at hence the D I said earlier in the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back