Analysis David King: Why Collingwood can't beat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

That the Hawks will open our Defensive Style by Coming off there Man and we will get Flogged because of that?

I hope not mate and he does mention that one of our best assets this season has been our ability 2 defend the turnovers but I think our biggest problem is still our disposal in general but in particular our disposal under pressure.....however if we can bridge the gap between our best and worse in this area then it'll go a long way in us beating most teams, esp the Hawks 2night who thrive in killing teams in turnovers.

So you think we are all Dumbasses on here when we Write about Pies Games?

We are all not One-Eyed when we Preview/Review our Games

1. I think we are,me as much as anyone. The point is, if someone's argument makes sense, as King's does, there's not much point in just bagging it. You have to provide a counter argument that actually addresses the points he raises. I can't. I just have to hope the team can overcome this problem on the night, because the problem is real.
  2. Dumbasses? Arses please, we are not Americans. And no, although there are some that tread the border.

Well Hawks don’t have Saindlands so that is less Likley to Happen.

I reckon we have the best Ruckman out there tonight

Hawks do it to us anyway, they only need their rucks to compete which they do.

They then either handball or knock the ball out to Burgoyne, Hill, Bruest etc and set up play from there where as we have 4 players fighting Mitchell and Lewis for the ball it gives them extra options open and loose..

Hawks do it to us anyway, they only need their rucks to compete which they do.

They then either handball or knock the ball out to Burgoyne, Hill, Bruest etc and set up play from there where as we have 4 players fighting Mitchell and Lewis for the ball it gives them extra options open and loose..

Agree, Hawks Mids are the Big Worry

well you gotta hand it to david king... he was spot on with his analysis ....just like a lot of the posters in this thread said he was. The hawks just daisy-chained through our pressure defence and their precise foot skills were too much for our sliding defence strategies.. meanwhile at the back gibson and the rest of the hawthorn defence just sagged off and picked off intercept marks to their hearts content. It looks like the Pies will have to go back to the drawing board to come up with something to match the Hawks. Maybe we should get Kingy in for a few briefing sessions to work out game plans that will win against the hawks...

Story here

Kinda hard to argue with. This is why I just want an honourable loss. Even a small loss will show progress for us.
Got your wish.
We lost not the other way around. I hope our young blokes learned something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we kick 9.2 in the third quarter....we kill em.
And once we kill em....they're our meat.

All great sides (and even a few ordinary ones) have great matchups against certain other sides (Fitzroy could often beat Collingwood even when they were bottom and we were top). Not so long ago we were 15/0 against the Swans (even when they were on top)....

This will go in cycles like it always does. But last night was very reminiscent of the final home and away match against Essendon in 1990. They'd been beating up on us for years (and Carlton too) and they were used to beating us. But that day we lost by a goal or so and we put the doubt in their minds. And the rest, so they say, is history.

Anytime I wanna feel a little pride against the Hawks I just watch the 2011 Prelim...didn't Jeff Kennett say that "the Hawks only beat Geelong when it mattered "(2008GF).......maybe our next time will be when it matters again!!

well you gotta hand it to david king... he was spot on with his analysis ....just like a lot of the posters in this thread said he was. The hawks just daisy-chained through our pressure defence and their precise foot skills were too much for our sliding defence strategies.. meanwhile at the back gibson and the rest of the hawthorn defence just sagged off and picked off intercept marks to their hearts content. It looks like the Pies will have to go back to the drawing board to come up with something to match the Hawks. Maybe we should get Kingy in for a few briefing sessions to work out game plans that will win against the hawks...
It's pure lack of diligence by Buckley that we haven't already done this

But last night was very reminiscent of the final home and away match against Essendon in 1990. They'd been beating up on us for years (and Carlton too) and they were used to beating us. But that day we lost by a goal or so and we put the doubt in their minds. And the rest, so they say, is history.
And had Doug Barwick not been clotheslined in the goalsquare with no whistle blown, we would have won that one too.

Composure. It killed us against Freo and against the Hawks. The kids are playing good footy, they just need to be able to keep their heads.

Composure. It killed us against Freo and against the Hawks. The kids are playing good footy, they just need to be able to keep their heads.

Many of the kids have shown excellent composure ...

... It's some of the older ones who have been struggling with it.

The Hawks mids like Langford and Mitchell were excellent at holding in the ball for the late dish off which gave their outside mids the extra second or so to balance before delivery.

Our mids were great also but a few times in close we just seemed to dish to another player already under the pump, this has been getting better and with match practice is one of the areas we will close the gap along with ball disposal and decision making.

Only a matter of tightening the screws and we will get there.

Pressure wise we are the yard stick.

Our game plan seems to have been sinking in and the risk reward will start to pay off once the players gel a little more.

Considering we again had a dysfunctional forward line and missed some easy shots, we did alright.

One of these next few games something will click and we will obliterate a team, and from that we will go to a new level.

Exciting times ahead

He wasn't really spot on I wouldn't say. Was a very close we just lost - we clearly could best Hawthorn on our day
So agree with this!

We put up our game plan, structures and players against theirs. Were it not for poor conversion and Rioli, we kept last years premiers to just over 100 points (101) and lost by 10 points. Their game plan has worked well with other teams as can be seen by their percentage (the second highest at 145%).

Not sure how many goals they scored from their daisy chain play but I doubt that it would be many.

His observation is one that anyone could pick up not dissimilar to how some teams always have an extra player in defence and some teams let that happen, or how some play the boundary more than others...

A lot to take from this game and I don't believe that they handled our structures and it will be us King will be talking about in future.

Also loved the way we move the ball on so close to the boundary line, no doubt practice this.

Lots to look forward to with our group of players and coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back