David Koch as Chairman of PAFC - time to move on?

Get rid of David Koch as PAFC Chairman/

• Yes

Votes: 63 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burger King

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did you actually listen to Koch, or just react to a headline?
I listened to it. It wasn't aggressive but the meaning conveyed in the headline was 100% there. He more than anyone should know that would blow up in the media. He should be vocal about positives regarding our club but literally every single assistant coach is in the role as a step to a senior gig. It didn't need to be said. He should have spun it that when people come to poach our assistants for senior roles that we have good people at our club. All this does is signal to future coaches at Port Adelaide that we have a chairman that will have pot shots at you on a morning show with millions of viewers. It just didn't need to be said and does us long term harm.

vreOtss.png

d60xuii-056cefe3-8146-43dc-950c-f0de886cb906.png
The Chairman and the Senior Coach have always been on the exact same page.

The Chairman talks the Queen’s, gets up at three in the morning, eats at gourmet restaurants, tosses vintage wine down his throat, and appears on national TV wearing a business suit and tie and with a spit-polished dome.

The Senior Coach talks Strine, gets up his sweaty players, eats ham and cheese toasties, tosses Chinese tea over his shoulder, and appears on a RAN flight deck for a press photo in slob shorts and with a pot gut.

Of course they have always been on the exact same page.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I listened to it. It wasn't aggressive but the meaning conveyed in the headline was 100% there. He more than anyone should know that would blow up in the media. He should be vocal about positives regarding our club but literally every single assistant coach is in the role as a step to a senior gig. It didn't need to be said. He should have spun it that when people come to poach our assistants for senior roles that we have good people at our club. All this does is signal to future coaches at Port Adelaide that we have a chairman that will have pot shots at you on a morning show with millions of viewers. It just didn't need to be said and does us long term harm.
Well listened to it before noticing the social media frenzy and didn’t even give it another thought. I saw it as a light hearted joke
As for your other point....Do you remember how he got ridiculed way back when he celebrated our coaches leaving and described us a feeder club for good coaches..
Everything is blown up to ridiculous proportions.
I can’t stand him any more but everyone blows things out of proportion.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
You can see why his board meetings are infamously boring, the man never mastered the art of saying things in the appropriate time and place.

That said, joining some dots, if the message from the board to the football department all season has been play finals or you’re out then I can see why he’d have a crack at our “Senior Assistant” whoring himself as we sit 9th on the ladder. Why should Wingard be the only one the door catches on the way out?

The Burger King

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Another day, another PR black eye.

He makes both mistakes here.

He describes other clubs as better jobs but also puts the heat on one of our coaches publicly.

Would've been better if he said: "Port Adelaide has produced many senior coaches over the years such as Clarkson and Bailey, and we will never stand in the way of assistants looking to become senior coaches. It's Voss day off so he can explore the potential opportunity with our blessing. It makes us look good when clubs want our assistants as their senior coaches."

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If I were the Chairman I couldn't have a giggle about our WLWL mediocre performance. I wouldn't be able to. That's my chemistry. Even amongst my mates, a couple have gotten to the stage of just laughing about it and I'm not critical of them, it is their coping mechanism, but I can't get there, I'm far too serious and far too hurt about it. It would take a very brave or stupid individual in the old days to laugh at Port's expense because the ramifications was that we'd come back bigger and better but this is far more serious because I lack faith to even believe that there are better times ahead, I am just hoping that change will evolve into better times ahead. I don't think Koch was flippant but I could not imagine Boulton and any of our Chairmen pre-Boulton cracking a slight smile.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He makes both mistakes here.

He describes other clubs as better jobs but also puts the heat on one of our coaches publicly.

Would've been better if he said "Port Adelaide has produced many senior coaches over the years such as Clarkson and Bailey, and we will never stand in the way of assistants looking to become senior coaches. It's Voss day off so he can explore the potential opportunity with our blessing. It makes us look good when clubs want our assistants as their senior coaches."

I wouldn't even say that. Big-notng ourselves after several mediocre years.

October this year for me, they can take their ego trip of wrecking our clubs 150th with them. Our club is better, and bigger then the egos involved with it right now.
Well we are in our 150th year (149.x years since that May 12 1870 meeting), so maybe they think they have got there this October.

I have heard that Koch has an iron clad contract stating that Voss cannot apply for jobs til the end of the season.

He just can't actually produce it for reasons...

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

You may sarcasm but let me indulge Baldie for a moment.

Imagine a contract with an "iron clad" first option on Ken's gig. A "Ken makes finals or you get the senior gig without competition, but you hang around until September" clause, in Voss's hand, to finesse the August 1 deadline. The sort of idiotically clever move that would destroy a coaching group.

Disclaimer: no lawyer.

Oh yeah, and if Michael Voss prefers Carlton's list to ours, I definitely want him gone ASAP along with Ken and Kochie. He's provisionally "on the list" now.

maisie.JPG

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Well we are in our 150th year (149.x years since that May 12 1870 meeting), so maybe they think they have got there this October.

Ahhh yes.

The old "is 2000 the Millenium......................... or is it 2001" argument.

Or when you count down to "blastoff", is zero the start of thr journy into space.......... or is it the end of the time on the launch pad?

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would've been better if he said: "Port Adelaide has produced many senior coaches over the years such as Clarkson and Bailey, and we will never stand in the way of assistants looking to become senior coaches. It's Voss day off so he can explore the potential opportunity with our blessing. It makes us look good when clubs want our assistants as their senior coaches."
So repeat what we said when Clarkson and Bailey left and were ridiculed as being a feeder club. Its a lose/lose situation.

Say nothing and he'd be trashed for keeping quiet while other clubs raid us of our off field talent.

And I use that last term loosely.

Meh. It's a silly comment but if you take a look at the bigger picture, it's good that we have a Chairman with such a high profile talking on a national television programme and putting us in the headlines with said comments when we would otherwise be totally irrelevant and only talked about by Rowey and Bicks on the 5aa sports show. Koch isn't perfect but I'm not going to hang him over this. He's got bigger tests coming in the next couple of months.

Well listened to it before noticing the social media frenzy and didn’t even give it another thought. I saw it as a light hearted joke
As for your other point....Do you remember how he got ridiculed way back when he celebrated our coaches leaving and described us a feeder club for good coaches..
Everything is blown up to ridiculous proportions.
I can’t stand him any more but everyone blows things out of proportion.
Nah, he was pissed off and meant what he said.

Ahhh yes.

The old "is 2000 the Millenium......................... or is it 2001" argument.

Or when you count down to "blastoff", is zero the start of thr journy into space.......... or is it the end of the time on the launch pad?
There is no Year 0. Year 1 BC ends the moment Christ is born, year 1 AD starts the moment after Christ is born.

Year 0 isn't a year, its a moment in time.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With what Koch said about Voss having an interview when the season hasn't finished yet, if we were to change our senior coach, and the club doesn't look internally for the next senior coach, then if he's serious he would actually expect to wait until a prospective candidate has completed their duties for the season before interviewing, deciding, and offering the senior coaching position? That's too late. Negligent. That's not a 'win at all costs attitude'.

Remember when Koch said its a compliment when clubs want to come and poach our staff? Then we lose
* Richardson
* Walsh
it disrupts our preparations and have to scramble for replacements.

Then a couple years later
* Burgess
But we say he got an offer too good to refuse

Now its do your job until the season ends. First 2 were poached at end of the season. Burgo mid season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back