Universal Love David Mackay Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well apologies but that comment was exaggerated. Sure, he probably has hit up a few targets. But most memories of Mackay were him running through space and just kicking as long as possible into the 50. Or him being under pressure and just banging away blindly. Laird admittedly has also been a little bit guilty of this, and it frustrates the **** out of me because they are supposed to be some of our better kicks.

As I stated before, his inside 50 conversion rate is one of the worst of our squad.
Our top five I50 players:
Tom Lynch: 26 I50, 4 Assists (15%), 43 Score Involvements
Brodie Smith: 25 I50, 4 Assists (16%), 42 Score Involvements
David Mackay: 24 I50, 5 Assists (21%), 39 Score Involvements
Scott Thompson: 24 I50, 4 Assists (17%), 40 Score Involvements
Rory Atkins: 21 I50, 2 Assists (10%), 31 Score Involvements

Obviously not all goal assists or score involvements are on the back of I50s, but these figures give a very broad idea of how effective each players I50s are. Mackay is more than holding his own against some of our best players and users of the ball.

Edit: "most memories of Mackay were him running through space and just kicking as long as possible into the 50"... See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I'm gonna offer up a well done to Dmac... his 3rd qtr vs the Hawk/Umpire collaboration was a real step up on previous output against a good side and then backed it up with a reasonably solid effort against the Dockers... it's a long season ahead and I'll take every game he can offer up over last week's effort which needs to be the baseline... in my best 26 now...

I'm gonna offer up a well done to Dmac... his 3rd qtr vs the Hawk/Umpire collaboration was a real step up on previous output against a good side and then backed it up with a reasonably solid effort against the Dockers... it's a long season ahead and I'll take every game he can offer up over last week's effort which needs to be the baseline... in my best 26 now...
Definitely the best he's played for a few years and a couple more tough games in the next fortnight to turn us non-believers around further

I am more than happy to be proven wrong every week on this !
:D

Our top five I50 players:
Tom Lynch: 26 I50, 4 Assists (15%), 43 Score Involvements
Brodie Smith: 25 I50, 4 Assists (16%), 42 Score Involvements
David Mackay: 24 I50, 5 Assists (21%), 39 Score Involvements
Scott Thompson: 24 I50, 4 Assists (17%), 40 Score Involvements
Rory Atkins: 21 I50, 2 Assists (10%), 31 Score Involvements

Obviously not all goal assists or score involvements are on the back of I50s, but these figures give a very broad idea of how effective each players I50s are. Mackay is more than holding his own against some of our best players and users of the ball.

Edit: "most memories of Mackay were him running through space and just kicking as long as possible into the 50"... See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You wouldn't happen to have the metres gained stats for Mackay, Smith, Seedsman and Atkins would you?

Thanks. I'm not surprised to see Smith's output, he's one of the best in the league, but Mackay being second reaffirms my belief that he deserves his spot this year.

Edit: Thommo's having a great year, I wonder how he'll go in the Brownlow if he's able to sustain his current form and we keep playing well as a team.

He is tackling , the pressure acts are there and he is lowering his eyes and using the ball better than previous seasons ... his kicking for goal is still patchy but he is playing his role . Would i have him in my team , NO but he has ben serviceable to good . Once Hampton , Henderson , Crouch , Menzel etc gain fitness then he is on the outside looking in .

You're overrating his talent a bit.

It's not easy playing AFL being 70kg soaking wet. To do it, your skills have to be absolutely beyond reproach. That means you can NEVER miss targets, NEVER miss shots at goal, and NEVER miss handballs.

His skills are pretty good. They're not exceptional, and at his size they need to be.

That's where the frustration comes from.

You can handle him being knocked off the ball, losing it in tackles and costing us the game (like that last play against Hawthorn) but you just can't cop his skills not being up to scratch.
His skills are below average ! unreliable kick , sloppy fumbly hands and zero penetration or snap on his handballs .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a Mackay fan, but he's justifying his spot this year. Still young "enough" to be worth persisting with if he keeps his current form.

If his form drops, he should be dropped as well, but at this stage he stays in.
He's played well the first six rounds as he did last year. Funny how he should get dropped if his form drops but then others like Walker never gets dropped

He's played well the first six rounds as he did last year. Funny how he should get dropped if his form drops but then others like Walker never gets dropped

You really can't drop your captain on form, it's one of those unwritten rules. To be fair, it's not like there's anyone in the wings to replace him. I don't think Harry Dear or Keenan Ramsay are exactly staking a claim.

Other players besides Walker should be dropped if their form is poor enough for long enough. If they're playing well, they should stay in the side. If we reach a stage where everyone is playing well and there is pressure from the SANFL players, well, then we can start to think about how we manage it then, but that's a good problem to have.

You really can't drop your captain on form, it's one of those unwritten rules. To be fair, it's not like there's anyone in the wings to replace him. I don't think Harry Dear or Keenan Ramsay are exactly staking a claim.

Other players besides Walker should be dropped if their form is poor enough for long enough. If they're playing well, they should stay in the side. If we reach a stage where everyone is playing well and there is pressure from the SANFL players, well, then we can start to think about how we manage it then, but that's a good problem to have.

Yep. Taylor Walker not playing well is still far better than anybody else we have who could come in for him.

So the guy becomes the 21st player to play 150 games for our football club. Has been a best 22 player under no less than 6 AFL coaches. Is currently playing very good football - 3rd at our club for tackles, 2nd for metres gained, 3rd for Inside 50's, 5th for Goal Assists.

People still not convinced he is even in the best 26 footballers at our club.

I look forward to the flawed explanations of how his B&F votes mean he isn't best 22!

So the guy becomes the 21st player to play 150 games for our football club. Has been a best 22 player under no less than 6 AFL coaches. Is currently playing very good football - 3rd at our club for tackles, 2nd for metres gained, 3rd for Inside 50's, 5th for Goal Assists.

People still not convinced he is even in the best 26 footballers at our club.

I look forward to the flawed explanations of how his B&F votes mean he isn't best 22!

And it's only taken around 150 games for him to pull out 6 weeks of form like that. ;)

Needs a bit more than 6 weeks of playing well to prove he isn't another B.Rielly to me, and actually should be in our best 22.

Good article by Tredrea in todays advertiser about Mackay.

Keep crying and learn footy gentlemen.

Every board needs a whipping boy. Richard Douglas was the big one for years.........then he came good. Now we never hear boo about him on here. McKay seems to be following a similar path. Has been quite good this year, and hopefully this continues with 150 games now under his belt.

Every board needs a whipping boy. Richard Douglas was the big one for years.........then he came good. Now we never hear boo about him on here. McKay seems to be following a similar path. Has been quite good this year, and hopefully this continues with 150 games now under his belt.
Generally they are whipping boys for a reason, dougy finally extracted his finger hopefully dmac has turned the corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back