Certified Legendary Thread David Mackay PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

this is the anti-chooklotto tribunal thread, designed to demonstrate how corrupt the tribunal is

the anti-David Mackay thread is here:

please post accordingly

Last edited:
Not sure that’s fully correct.
What stops your brain continuing to rise when your skull starts returning to earth?
Obviously it’s suspended in fluid but you’d think with vigorous moment it could touch?
It's only sharp deceleration or acceleration. Your fluid filled sack of a skull protects under most situations. You accelerate faster in a car then a trampoline, you don't get concussion from that

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Be specific then man!

Is there any real evidence that this is a serious risk to AFL players?

Well, yes.

Neuroscientist reveals alarming results from concussion study on retired VFL/AFL players

'https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/e51ffe9937bb1f48af648241d740d020'

A senior neuroscientist from Australia’s sports brain bank says more than 80 per cent of the 162 retired VFL/AFL players he has tested were suffering from a form of brain damage.

also - the AFL are s**t scared of lawsuits

I literally couldn’t have been more specific

I asked about CTE and I can’t read the article.

I do note it’s fairly obscure given the alleged impacts this guy claims
There is this from The Guardian:

It’s interesting, obviously we should seek to make the game as safe as practicable possible - although, what that even means is an incredibly long and complex discussion - but it does seem to me that the language used surrounding the issue is a tad overwrought. The article above describes it as a “ticking time bomb”… Perhaps, but how many footballers from all codes and at all levels are there currently playing or have played in Australia? Are there higher levels of depression amongst those individuals than the larger population? Are there higher rates of suicide? Why has this ticking time bomb not gone off before now?

I don’t know. I’m perfectly happy to accept the evidence that multiple concussions and head trauma can lead to long term health issues… I’m less convinced that unless the game is totally changed then we will see a spate of depression and suicides amongst ex players above and beyond the rates seen in the general population.

Perhaps there are stats showing this, but the article above certainly doesn’t cite anything resembling that kind of data.

I asked about CTE and I can’t read the article.

From the article ...

Leading concussion expert Prof Alan Pearce told News Corp the remaining players all “showed some abnormalities when compared to age-matched healthy controls suggesting that their experiences in playing have affected their brains”.​
The alarming revelation comes as Australia’s richest football code grapples with the scourge of concussion and repeated head knocks.​
“Since 2012 I have studied 162 former AFL/VFL football players, who played between 1970 and 2015, as well as 25 amateur grade players,” Prof Pearce said.​
“More than 150 were found to have impaired neurological functioning that matched their self-reported concerns around memory, mood problems and movement disorders.”​
Tests on NRL players show similarly alarming results.​
Prof Pearce said more than 73 per cent of the 33 retired NRL players he tested showed abnormal brain functioning compared to age matched healthy controls.​
He tested men between the ages of 40 and 67, who had suffered between one and 30 diagnosed concussions in their careers — dating back 10 to 34 years since their last head knock.​
Prof Pearce rejected suggestions his research was biased because the players he treated had already reported concerns.​
“In order to answer this criticism, I recently conducted and published the biggest study on retired players to date comparing 83 athletes with ongoing issues such as memory, headaches, fatigue, mood disorders and movement problems to 39 athletes who reported no ongoing issues; with both groups compared with 50 age and educated matched healthy people with no history of playing contact sports,” he said.​
“The athlete group with ongoing issues were significantly worse in their brain function than both other groups. However, what I found was that the group that did not report differences still differed in their neurological functions to the control group. Moreover, there were associations between the number of concussions reported and poorer neurological functions, irrespective of whether the player felt they had ongoing issues or not.”​

Seems a small sample size for a 10 year study
If the AFL & AFLPA were serious, they would fund an ongoing study to learn more.

There is no reason why all players can't be studied, so we can compare players who have had many concussions to those who haven't.

Would also be worth researching more past players to get an understanding of how the rule changes to protect the head have improved neurological outcomes overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also with all the deformities in life are there people born with less fluid that might be more prone to concussions.
And vice versa, people with more fluid?
My son has a smaller gap between his brain and skull than normal. It was diagnosed after his head rapidly increased in size at around 10 months of age. We had to get a scan to check.

He is 3 now, and his head is back to within the normal range for his age. But in regards to the gap between skull and brain it is still smaller than the norm. Meaning less fluid to cushion.

It is something to consider as he gets older and sports like Footy . Especially considering at three years old he is very active, and can already kick a Footy and handball quite well

He already loves ball sports.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If the AFL & AFLPA were serious, they would fund an ongoing study to learn more.

There is no reason why all players can't be studied, so we can compare players who have had many concussions to those who haven't.

Would also be worth researching more past players to get an understanding of how the rule changes to protect the head have improved neurological outcomes overall.
A study like that would be interesting. I suspect, without any scientific knowledge on the subject, that apart from king hits and the occasional massive bumps, the damage to the brain may have increased.

AFL players are now stronger and faster (especially over short distance, acceleration) than even 10 years ago. May be less bigger "damgerous" hits. But they tackle harder (and more often), hit the contest quicker and with the congestive way the game is played there is more actual body on body contact.

Less big hits, but gradual damage done over a 25 year period from ages 15 to 35 from cumulative smaller hits and contact.

My son has a smaller gap between his brain and skull than normal. It was diagnosed after his head rapidly increased in size at around 10 months of age. We had to get a scan to check.

He is 3 now, and his head is back to within the normal range for his age. But in regards to the gap between skull and brain it is still smaller than the norm. Meaning less fluid to cushion.

It is something to consider as he gets older and sports like Footy . Especially considering at three years old he is very active, and can already kick a Footy and handball quite well

He already loves ball sports.

Interesting, I wonder if everyone who has this would know about it?

Interesting, I wonder if everyone who has this would know about it?
Maybe not.

We only found out due to having to get the scan due to his head increasing in size out of proportion to the rest of his body.

There is this from The Guardian:

It’s interesting, obviously we should seek to make the game as safe as practicable possible - although, what that even means is an incredibly long and complex discussion - but it does seem to me that the language used surrounding the issue is a tad overwrought. The article above describes it as a “ticking time bomb”… Perhaps, but how many footballers from all codes and at all levels are there currently playing or have played in Australia? Are there higher levels of depression amongst those individuals than the larger population? Are there higher rates of suicide? Why has this ticking time bomb not gone off before now?

I don’t know. I’m perfectly happy to accept the evidence that multiple concussions and head trauma can lead to long term health issues… I’m less convinced that unless the game is totally changed then we will see a spate of depression and suicides amongst ex players above and beyond the rates seen in the general population.

Perhaps there are stats showing this, but the article above certainly doesn’t cite anything resembling that kind of data.
The other issue is that the depression that is linked with past players' suicides, maybe completely unrelated to the brain findings. And on the other hand, the brain findings may be linked with other clinical signs such as memory loss, headaches, or the findings may not even be causing any symptoms at all for Jacinda's case. It's pretty much conjecture at this point regarding the article.

Back