dude316

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2009
The Armada Room
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
... just ******* delist him you muppets!
ttTDh2n.gif

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
“Bryce Gibbs will also be rookie listed for administrative purposes following his retirement this year.

“After list lodgements are completed, the League will consider Bryce to be officially retired and placed on the inactive list.

“The Club will then be able to fill that vacant list spot if it chooses to do so via the AFL’s supplementary selection period.”

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
“Bryce Gibbs will also be rookie listed for administrative purposes following his retirement this year.

“After list lodgements are completed, the League will consider Bryce to be officially retired and placed on the inactive list.

“The Club will then be able to fill that vacant list spot if it chooses to do so via the AFL’s supplementary selection period.”

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand.

When a player retires their list slot is already opened up, so that can't be the motivation.

What do we gain from putting Bryce on the rookie list next year?

The only thing I can think of is that Bryce technically isn't retired/delisted this year because we can't afford to have his salary payout this year without breaching the cap (which given we won the spoon is.. concerning). So instead he's actually staying on our list until next year so that we can pay him then?

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

When a player retires their list slot is already opened up, so that can't be the motivation.

The only thing I can think of is that Bryce technically isn't retired/delisted this year because we can't afford to have his salary payout this year without breaching the cap (which given we won the spoon is.. concerning). So instead he's actually staying on our list until next year so that we can pay him then?
And $80K better off in our salary cap would be my understanding? Smart man that Justin Reid fella.

Basically we are rookieing him for 2021 so we can pay $80-90k of his salary outside the cap

As soon as we rookie him, he will effectively "retire" so we can then regain the list spot and be able to use that in the SSP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Basically we are rookieing him for 2021 so we can pay $80-90k of his salary outside the cap

As soon as we rookie him, he will effectively "retire" so we can then regain the list spot and be able to use that in the SSP

Why would we be paying him?

According to people here, by gifting him the fair well game, we negotiated him out of paying the last year of his contract?

Surely you aren’t suggesting this is wrong, and we’re actually paying (another) guy no to play for us?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

But I was under the impression that if a player retires their payments are outside the cap anyway?

That is why it was such a big thing that when Buddy went to Sydney the AFL added a special condition that Sydney would be required to pay out his contract inside the cap if he retired early.

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
Why would we be paying him?

According to people here, by gifting him the fair well game, we negotiated him out of paying the last year of his contract?

Surely you aren’t suggesting this is wrong, and we’re actually paying (another) guy no to play for us?

I don’t think many were saying we had negotiated with Gibbs to completely get off having to pay his contract out. I think many claimed we had negotiated a settlement less than that of his full contract. Who knows if that’s true or not 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I was under the impression that if a player retires their payments are outside the cap anyway?

That is why it was such a big thing that when Buddy went to Sydney the AFL added a special condition that Sydney would be required to pay out his contract inside the cap if he retired early.

Pretty sure when a player retires any further payments are inside the cap

I think the condition on Sydney was stopping them negotiating Buddy's contract to be lower in the event he retired, so the full initial contract needs to be paid within the cap

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t think many were saying we had negotiated with Gibbs to completely get off having to pay his contract out. I think many claimed we had negotiated a settlement less than that of his full contract. Who knows if that’s true or not 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do, I know.

It's not true.

How do I know? do I have a secret inside source? am I psychic?

no and no. I just used basic logic.

A guy who transferred for money and who has shown he has NO love or loyalty for our club has absolutely no incentive to take a cent less than he's contractually obligated to.

Back