David Mcbride's trial started today.

Remove this Banner Ad

the motives shouldn't matter

this narrative gets used a lot to try and discredit whistleblowers

what should matter is what has come out and what is done about it, also whether the person who brought this to light gets protected or punished for it

the latter certainly impacts the chances of people coming forward in the future
Except in this case, he didn't just whistleblow on war crimes (which he should be commended for) but released other classified documents totally irrelevant to the alleged crimes, As such five to ten years would be appropriate.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty easy to see how Nazi Germany could start in Australia…
When jailing whistleblowers is supported by its own people.
Yep we love a bit of authoritarianism and racism here

Except in this case, he didn't just whistleblow on war crimes (which he should be commended for) but released other classified documents totally irrelevant to the alleged crimes, As such five to ten years would be appropriate.

We're never going to agree on this

Documents which are in the public interest, especially with our military/governments history of covering up war crimes or going to war on false pretenses.

We're never going to agree on this
I think we would agree on most of the issue. I believe whistleblowers should be protected, encouraged and rewarded. My issue with McBride is he released a lot more than just war crimes relevant information and should be punished for that part - hence the light sentence I suggested.

I think we would agree on most of the issue. I believe whistleblowers should be protected, encouraged and rewarded. My issue with McBride is he released a lot more than just war crimes relevant information and should be punished for that part - hence the light sentence I suggested.

Ten years in jail for a 60yo? such a soft touch

What did he release that had a deleterious effect on the military? I mean he exposed them and that looks bad, not a moral crime

Verdict to b

How many have gone to jail for committing war crimes?
How many have gone to jail for hiding war crimes?

Disgraceful decision. I can accept that if someone is lazy with their handling of sensitive information or releases information that has nothing to do with wrongdoing, there is the possibility they will be punished. Hell, many people accept these risks and still make the decision to blow the whistle. But some of the tactics used by the Commonwealth here are beyond the pale; withholding key evidence and refusing to say why, claiming he had been lax in handling the information but refusing to investigate whether any of their fears had come to pass. Worst of all is claiming that releasing the information could 'harm Australia's standing with foreign partners' as some sort of justification for punishing him. Committing war crimes should fecking harm your standing, you miserable kents.

War crimes and breaches of human rights should ALWAYS mean a voiding of any claim to secrecy or concern about national security pertaining to the case. Exposure of wrongdoing is not a crime nor a threat. Indeed, rogue soldiers committing war crimes while on national service are a far greater threat to national security than any whistleblowing of such crimes.

To the whistleblowers of the world - if you see something SAY SOMETHING!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Albanese's historical tweets backing whistleblowers and then allowing this to happen, this feels like a deeper betrayal of trust than anything Morrison did (yes, even Hawaii).

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from Labor, what have they got to gain by jailing him?

Anyone who doesn't put Labor and Liberal 2nd last and last in future elections is a certified moron.