David Mensch - why do we bag him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Red Rover

Senior List
Feb 12, 2001
Melbourne
The robust forward has established somewhat of a cult following among Geelong supporters in recent years.

Regulars at the Kardinia Park outer may be familiar with the David Mensch fan club, a group a young men proudly wearing a t-shirt with a photo of David, labelled 'LARD ARSE CLASS.' Even though they are often a bit tongue-in-cheek, that sort of following is great to see.

We all remember the early years, when Mensch was a source of amusement for opposition supporters and an instant target for abuse from the Geelong faithful, but since he turned it all around in 1998, opinions on his ability seem mixed.

His return in 2000 of 39 goals (equal leading goalkicker for Geelong) was invaluable for the Cats and I'm sure he has earned the respect of opposition players and coaches through hard work and perseverance.

And although his unfashionable appearance means he is still a target for opposition supporters, the giggling now seems to be uncommon. In fact I've noticed opposition supporters have been less incined to abuse Mensch just for the sake of it, while those who continue old habbits often eat their words.

But what about his own supporters? They're his toughest critics without a doubt. Maybe it's because he gives us glimses of the old Mensch from time to time. He might overrun a low ball, slip over and miss a mark, spray a kick, and cat fans will pounce and call for his head. It's tough, but that's the Geelong way.

Whatever your opinion is on Mensch's football ability, at 28 and approaching 150 games, you have to admire his determination to answer his critics and the interest he has brought to the club. But is the unrelenting criticism poured on by his own fans really warranted?

Don't worry about Mensch.We don't bag him anymore
smile.gif

We'll be bagging Jason Snell instead
frown.gif
frown.gif

------------------
"Hey ,just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

Originally posted by JUBJUB:
Don't worry about Mensch.We don't bag him anymore
smile.gif

We'll be bagging Jason Snell instead
frown.gif
frown.gif

I can't really fault anything Menschy's done this year but Snell, well I think we've found a replacement.
Houlihan could be worth a bagging too, he's far too lazy for mine. I wouldn't have him in the firsts.

Originally posted by Catman:
I can't really fault anything Menschy's done this year but Snell, well I think we've found a replacement.
Houlihan could be worth a bagging too, he's far too lazy for mine. I wouldn't have him in the firsts.

Houlihan was a crucial player for us last season, he took the next step by kicking 38 or so goals. There were plenty of games where Bizzell and Mensch couldn't get into it and he carried our forward line. Without him we certainly wouldn't have finished the home and away season as a high as fifth.

Houla in the seconds, you can't be serious.

Originally posted by Red Rover:
Fair enough, that's your opinion, unconvincing and poorly argued as it was. Hopefully Bomber keeps his marbles and Houla can roll on.

I feel he doesn't do a lot of the one percenters, such as tackling, chasing, shepherds, that sort of stuff. He lacks aggression at the footy, he tends to stand back and receive (like Nathan Buckley). Ok, he's kicked 40 goals last year but personally I wouldn't have him in the side.

Originally posted by Catman:
Then we'd have to kick out the other 21, coz Buckley plays all 22 possies at Collingwood.
biggrin.gif

What kind of answer is that??

Anyway, my point is that just because a player is lazy and doesn't get the hardball, it doesn't mean he can't play an important role for the side (ala Buckley who's apparently soft, Darren Bewick who use to hide in the shadows of the forward pocket and wait for the ball, etc).

Besides, you don't want 22 tough nuts out there who can't kick over a jam jar for the life of them. A good team has a variety of players who compliment each other and Houlihan is a unique player who compliments our forward line. To leave him out because he's "lazy" even though he's adding much-needed goal scoring power to a battling forward line is utterly stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back