List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

David mundy is a club legend. If he thinks he can go another round or 3 then he goes another round or 3.

Seems to be getting better as the season goes.

I think a lot of us, and I’ll put my hand up here, thought he was slowing down at the start of the season. His return from injury probably had a lot to do with it.

I dont like the idea that the act of winning a premiership makes an individual player better personally, it makes their career better but doesnt reflect their ability. Winning a Norm Smith or bnf in a premiership year means more than the act of winning one

The only one that can touch Pav is Fyfe, but he'd have to play 300 + games and even then its 50/50 I reckon. Fyfe would likely have to captain and Norm Smith a flag to overtake The Great One

I dont like the idea that the act of winning a premiership makes an individual player better personally, it makes their career better but doesnt reflect their ability. Winning a Norm Smith or bnf in a premiership year means more than the act of winning one

The only one that can touch Pav is Fyfe, but he'd have to play 300 + games and even then its 50/50 I reckon. Fyfe would likely have to captain and Norm Smith a flag to overtake The Great One

2 Brownlows not enough?
I'd say hsitory will judge Fyfe the best even without a flag.

2 Brownlows not enough?
I'd say hsitory will judge Fyfe the best even without a flag.
Has anyone else got an AA nod in three different area's of the oval?

The longevity is also important

If Fyfe finishes on 250 games (I think this is most likely given his injury history), who would you take at 18 if given the choice?

If Fyfe finishes on 250 games (I think this is most likely given his injury history), who would you take at 18 if given the choice?

If forced to choose, Fyfe

With all due respect, given the opportunity, I have no doubt Fyfe could be AA back & forward & do expect him to be AA forward later in his career.

If forced to choose, Fyfe
Fair enough, an extra 100 games (most of them excellent) and I'd be going Pav.

To the original thread bump question, no, Mundy winning a flag doesnt make him better than flag

And yes, Mundy can go around 1 more year if he wants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit that I thought Mundy should retire last year, then when he got the contract extension but then broke his leg I wasn't sure if he'd play more then a couple of games this year. So happy to be proven wrong, he's been vintage Mundy in recent games, particularly against the pies. If he can keep playing to this level I would be happy to keep him on the list for sure.

Fair enough, an extra 100 games (most of them excellent) and I'd be going Pav.

To the original thread bump question, no, Mundy winning a flag doesnt make him better than flag

And yes, Mundy can go around 1 more year if he wants

I'm glad we can disagree so much and still be mates
I want Mundy gone this year whether he wants it or not. I strongly suspect he will go of his own accord, but if it came to it I would move him on like we did with Ballas. There's a lot of sentiment there cause I love Mundy but his time is done.

I think clubs need to manage their seniors at the end of their careers well. Behind the scenes their could be a little encouragement, but players like Sandilands, MacPharlin, Pavlich and Mundy should choose their own use by dates. They have given everything for the club, and their final gift is getting the timing right to hand over the reigns.

I'm glad we can disagree so much and still be mates
I want Mundy gone this year whether he wants it or not. I strongly suspect he will go of his own accord, but if it came to it I would move him on like we did with Ballas. There's a lot of sentiment there cause I love Mundy but he's time is done.
I'd find it hard to push him out since he's still playing well and a club legend and deserves a bit of respect but one thing I heard today that stuck with me is I think he's only playing 60-70% game time and that's with reduced minutes. If we went back to full game time he might really struggle towards the end of the season.

I'd be ok with him not being offered 1 more year and bowing out this year, its ruthless but sometimes you have to be.

Mundy is also clearly playing A LOT better than Ballas was in his last couple of years

I’m not seeing why age is a query, unless it is the reason for constant injury, poor play & keeping someone better out.
Let’s wait & see how he’s travelling at the end of the year, but I think he will want to go again & see what next year brings the club. I’m sure he’d love another finals appearance.

Watching the last couple of games again, Mundy and Fyfe are a big reason Serong is coming along so well. I'm not saying this to take anything away from Serong at all, but he's been on the end of a couple of very mature and professional handballs, which come from mature and professional players. Development often requires an older, more experienced head being there with you.
Delisting Mundy now would would be a zero-sum game move. If he's not up to it next year, he gets reduced game time - but eliminating the option would be the kind of stupidity I'd hope this club is past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back