Toast David Mundy - 300 Games #Mundy3Hundy

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a member but was there for Pav’s 300th and remember the crowd vibe was so much more electric than normal, then Pav came out, kicked a blinder in the first and we dominated Geebung like usual.
The crowd went nuts every time Pav went near it .
I’m expecting and hoping the boys do the same and blitz the bullies early - and I’ll be there on Saturday again to witness what is an amazing milestone in the modern era.
Can’t wait to cheer for this legend with every sidestep, feigned handball and after-the-siren piece of magic

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I have always loved Mundy. Even in the earlier days where people bemoaned his so called casual style, his lack of manicness, I just saw a guy who thought his way through on a footy field. Where others were bluster, huff and puff, Mundy was a player that just worked and built his game slowly and surely. He had skills in all facets without being stand out elite in anything, but that rounded game was evidenced from very early, I always rated him.

He got stronger, smarter and his already good skills turned elite. He snuck up on people as he never had that crazy breakout game, he just built and built. Next minute, he's a 300 game player, club leader and among the best in the league.

He's a gem, plays to win, always improving, never a dickhead, loyal, stands up in big games and in big moments - been a pleasure to watch those 300 and look forward to a good few more to come.

Its weird to think most people there have only been around for the tail end of Mundy's career. I like Ballas picking an older moment.
you mentioning that lead me to discover that Tabs, Tucker, Langdon and AP are in the top 10 for games played for freo on the list currently, which is bloody weird

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I've mentioned a highlight from recent times, so here is one from earlier days.
Mundy's hanger the play begins at about 6:45.
such a ripper mark by a ripper player.

some great highlight there

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I've mentioned a highlight from recent times, so here is one from earlier days.
Mundy's hanger the play begins at about 6:45.
such a ripper mark by a ripper player.

some great highlight there

Good get that. Was looking for that myself and another he took deep on defence in his 3rd year or so.

He was very good in the air in his younger days. We don't think of Mundy as a particularly strong aerialist, probably because he developed his ground game to such a level that we don't think about it and he doesn't play that way any more. But he came in and played with good marking ability from very early.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Name a better player to have played for Freo?

Not many if any. Pav probably. Fyfe a brownlow and dominant but doesn't have the skill levels as Mundy. His kicking is sublime. I'd personally have Mundy as Freo's second best with Fyfe third.

That's a fair call. There's always lots of ambiguity when you start talking 'best player' in a team sport. I mean, if I was starting a team from scratch, McPharlin would be a very early pick because he was THE best key position back we've ever had. But given the importance of the midfield and Mundy's versatility, you can certainly make a good case that Mundy is right up there.

That all said, I'd still have Pav first - his on field leadership was supreme and at his peak (which ran for a pretty long time) he was also very versatile ... but yes, after that, Mundy and Fyfe would be a near tie for mine with both being quite complementary super-stars.

WestCoastLeagle

Debutant
Mar 28, 2012
Scabs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Rangers
Congrats to Mundy on his 3Hundy. An exceptional player by any measure.

It is interesting that despite being around for longer than Freo, West Coast is yet to a produce a 300 game player. I wonder why that is? Did the early 00's persian rug use affect player longevity perhaps?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Congrats to Mundy on his 3Hundy. An exceptional player by any measure.

It is interesting that despite being around for longer than Freo, West Coast is yet to a produce a 300 game player. I wonder why that is? Did the early 00's persian rug use affect player longevity perhaps?
Always wondered this too. Cox should’ve gone on for one more season to get 300. Only 10 games from that milestone. Jakovich 2nd on 276. So rather interesting WCE don’t have one at all.
Shannon Hurn surely would get it. 2 more seasons would be enough.

It’s a perseverance and agility thing to get 300. Pav was versatile in all positions, rarely injured until 2011-2013. He held the 2nd most consecutive games played at that period of time with 160, from 2001-2008. Adam Goodes had 204(!). Massive help that injuries were rare. Mundy has missed just 20 games in his time at Freo, mostly during 2005. Cannot remember when he has had to sit on the sidelines with injury.
Luckily Mundy was above elite during our rebuilds in 2008, 2010 and young. 2016 to now he has shown that even at a ripe old age, hes very much B22 and locked in every single week. Players such as Suban, Mayne, De Boer, Crozier, Barlow, Mzungu played a lot of games and were younger, but moved on due to their limited ability and not B22. Incredible Mundy has kept his form consistently too

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
That's a fair call. There's always lots of ambiguity when you start talking 'best player' in a team sport. I mean, if I was starting a team from scratch, McPharlin would be a very early pick because he was THE best key position back we've ever had. But given the importance of the midfield and Mundy's versatility, you can certainly make a good case that Mundy is right up there.

That all said, I'd still have Pav first - his on field leadership was supreme and at his peak (which ran for a pretty long time) he was also very versatile ... but yes, after that, Mundy and Fyfe would be a near tie for mine with both being quite complementary super-stars.
I reckon Alex Pearce could end up better than McPharlin.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
That is a big call.o_O AP is good but when McPharlin was at his best, you always felt confident when he was down back.
Same with AP. McPharlin spent a bit too much time up forward though. I’d back AP just as much now too. His work against Cameron was elite. Him and Hamling just as good as McPharlin/Dawson

Back