Toast David Mundy will retire at the end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I will always remember him for his loping gait that looked deceptively slow and his incredible consistency over a looooooong career. Someone you could always count on. I think he was top 10 in the Doig 15 times, and several times in the the top 2-4. Thank you Mundy for all the great memories. You are a legend of this club. Please come back and coach like your buddy Sandi!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mundy retiring on Monday and JK on a Tuesday sad week for both clubs. Mundy is and was a fantastic player with an amazing amount of heart who always put in a magnificent effort. Very few midfielders have ever been able to impact games with their elite kick and contest work still at 37 and based in Perth. Definitely a future hall of famer.

Listening to John Ralph and Gary Lyon last night, I got the impression that they think Mundy may have been given a nudge to retire.
Did I hear correctly or am I reading something that is not there?

Listening to John Ralph and Gary Lyon last night, I got the impression that they think Mundy may have been given a nudge to retire.
Honestly, I wouldnt be concerned either way, if so, I congratulate the club on making the hard call

Well considering mundy has said multiple times that he wanted to play for as long as he can it's pretty obvious.

It's sad forcing him out against his will, but how much longer can he keep guys like ras and jonno out of the side. Wouldn't have liked him to medi sub his way to 400 like Burgoyne

I donā€™t want to turn this into a negative thread, but there were a couple of chases that Dave gave up on pretty early on Friday night that he wouldnā€™t normally give up on.
Getting the ball is one thing, but in this era of team defence, he would have known it didnā€™t feel right.
Just a wonderful footballer & an even better human, with the correct decision made by both player & club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always put the club first so Iā€™m sure they had a tough conversation but both agree it was the time to do it. Yearly contracts says that conversation is frequent and honest

Both parties know freo have to get games into Raz and Johnson, and Mundy going out on top is fitting.

19 years @ 500k average - Iā€™m sure heā€™s going to be fineā€¦ and likely walk into a part time development role somewhere thatā€™ll give him time back and space to decide whatā€™s next

Well done old man, bloody legend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the club did, then well done to the club for having the balls to do it (genuinely thought they wouldn't). If it was only Mundy's decision, then well done to him for realising it's time. Non-issue either way for mine.

That was awesome to watch. Best shimmy Iā€™ve seen since Mundy at Footy Park all those years ago. šŸ˜šŸ‘šŸ½
This is what I was talking about before.

Surely someone has a gif of this? He has a crows player on his hammer so he starts to turn one way, then immediately starts to lean the other way as if to imply it was a balk and promptly twists to off to head in the original direction, goosifying the said chaser. It's a work of art.

Well considering mundy has said multiple times that he wanted to play for as long as he can it's pretty obvious.

Ask him, he will tell you that he only signs on if he feels like he will be a contributor. I don't believe he is interested in playing as a substitute or being carried off the field each week.

This is what I was talking about before.

Surely someone has a gif of this? He has a crows player on his hammer so he starts to turn one way, then immediately starts to lean the other way as if to imply it was a balk and promptly twists to off to head in the original direction, goosifying the said chaser. It's a work of art.
He finishes it off by hitting a 30 meter worm burner right on to the chest of Adam McPhee who promptly drops it.

My old man has called him the "Mark Waugh" of football since very early on, in the sense that he's always looked like he's got an extra 5 seconds on everyone else on the field no matter what he's doing. The epitome of cool, calm and collected.

While it didn't wind up going our way, Dave basically bringing his own footy after half time in the 2013 Grand Final and doing everything to drag us over the line singlehandedly is the game that will always stand out for me. Just never stopped giving 110 per cent every time he ran out for the club.

Fitting to see him get the league-wide tributes he deserves, but disappointing at the same time that it's taken until now for him to get them.

Can't think of a better way to send him off than to give him those six wins he asked for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back