mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
Okay I am sure this has been talked about last year ( I did try and search for the topic but my damaged brain is near on useless at the moment ) when he retired whether the club told him too or it was his decision. I very much believed at the time it was his choice to retire but someone I am close too made the point she thinks he was pushed to retire ?
I guess on the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but I really would like to know other freo fans thoughts.

Mundy said at one stage (July??) that he'd keep playing until they wheel him out in a wheelchair or words to that affect. Less than a month later announced his retirement. Was definitely planning to play one more season then pushed out.

The whole club from Garlick, to Bell, to JLo, to the players believed the Flagmantle hype and thought we'd cruise to top 4 this year. They now have egg on their faces.

Mundy said at one stage (July??) that he'd keep playing until they wheel him out in a wheelchair or words to that affect. Less than a month later announced his retirement. Was definitely planning to play one more season then pushed out.
Don’t buy it. Remember him looking extremely dejected and tired during the Dees game where they thrashed us and then that next Monday called it quits.

He was cooked and couldn’t keep up defensively. If he’d stayed on the list he would’ve only worsened our current situation imo.

On the bright side we probably don’t trade for JOM and instead give games to Erasmus and Johnson.

All that doesn’t change the contribution he made for the club over 370+ games or that his right boot is being greatly missed. Very difficult player to replace but like all players he had his time and it was around the middle of last year tbh.

He was cooked and couldn’t keep up defensively. If he’d stayed on the list he would’ve only worsened our current situation imo.

On the bright side we probably don’t trade for JOM and instead give games to Erasmus and Johnson.

All that doesn’t change the contribution he made for the club over 370+ games or that his right boot is being greatly missed. Very difficult player to replace but like all players he had his time and it was around the middle of last year tbh.
As much as the defensive aspect of his game was concerning we would no doubt in such a young team miss his leadership and precision kicking especially I50 yeah I still think it was the right move.

you can disagree all you want dominguez, it’s dumb conjecture on your behalf. He was clear in his statements on retirement that he made the decision and felt immediate relief. Said he looked forward to attending his kids footy games instead of preparing for games, which is completely understandable for a man his age and stage of life.

The idea we tapped him on the shoulder after he was best on for us against the Dees is laughable.

The whole club from Garlick, to Bell, to JLo, to the players believed the Flagmantle hype and thought we'd cruise to top 4 this year. They now have egg on their faces.
He probably did feel really good then before warning signs starting came on later in the season. The game of course takes a massive physical toll and I'm impressed by people playing at that age at lower levels let alone the AFL. Was a bit surprised and disappointed at the time he made the call but do you think the man doesn't know his own body the best? Saying the club pushed him given the way he was still playing and providing obvious leadership whilst possible is just pure speculation not based on much imo.

He probably did feel really good then before warning signs starting came on later in the season. The game of course takes a massive physical toll and I'm impressed by people playing at that age at lower levels let alone the AFL. Was a bit surprised and disappointed at the time he made the call but do you think the man doesn't know his own body the best? Saying the club pushed him given the way he was still playing and providing obvious leadership whilst possible is just pure speculation not based on much imo.

People can believe what they like but I thought it was pretty clear he was towing the company line during his media commitments. You obviously saw it differently.

Just last month, Mundy said he was keen to keep playing “until they kick me out” as the potential for him to reach the magical 400-game milestone grew.

With Fremantle’s premiership window now well and truly open, the potential for team success next year was also expected to see Mundy play on.

People can believe what they like but I thought it was pretty clear he was towing the company line during his media commitments. You obviously saw it differently.

Just last month, Mundy said he was keen to keep playing “until they kick me out” as the potential for him to reach the magical 400-game milestone grew.

With Fremantle’s premiership window now well and truly open, the potential for team success next year was also expected to see Mundy play on.
Conspiratorial nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he is the biggest loss of them all. We miss EVERYTHING that was David Mundy, but....like Fyfe and a few others before him we became too reliant on Dave to bail us out, get us there. We never built a strong enough team around the likes of him and Fyfie after Pav retired because we got logjammed in a rebuild that came too swift after a Premiership window that we failed in, a new stadium that was built at the right time for Toast and not us, a coach burning everything and everyone out.....and on it went, the insufferable model of Fremantle footballing school. We booted out the likes of Barlow, DeBoer and Suban, yet still replaced them with Conca, Acres and other 'role' players - some of them unnecessary in my eyes. In the end it all feels like a revolving door and not entirely convinced those in charge know what they're doing or are exponentially improving things by making drastic choices - maybe there's a scintilla of improvement here & there with draftees like Amiss and Johnson etc to come on, but it doesn't always feel like it's enough. However, what do I know in my shifty ivory tower, I'm just a mere BigFooty nuffie spectator. The past is the past.

But Dave is such a colossal loss, even if his spirit was waning in the end...

Make no bones about it as classy as he was by foot and as dignified and graceful and quiet a man he was off it, he was an absolute tiger-hearted warrior trojan in the midfield with his bigger frame, quite aggressive as a footballer and super-smart. The perfect embodiment of what you want from a big-sized mid. When he was in there with Fyfe and Barlow, we probably should have won a Premiership. After the Prelim in 2013 against a pretty decent Sydney side I REALLY thought we would :(

Hindsight is horrible to reflect back and think what might have been; maybe even should have been. I really miss seeing Dave out there, he was quintessential Fremantle in the end. I don't know if he was pushed or retired knowing it was a bridge too far to get to the magic 400 (4hundy!) - but it feels like it needs to be let go now. There's every chance Walters and Fyfe meet the same fate (no Prems). As hard as it is, you have to push forward; progress. Maybe find a way to make sure our future guns don't befall that same fate.

Sadly, this club feels like it's caught in no-man's land too much. Never really quite sure what the right move to make is...we get close, get a sniff, then we recoil and crawl back into our shells. We need some Dave Mundy hardness (on field), we need some f***ing balls and guts. Right now, more than ever, our midfield REALLY needs a peak David Mundy or Nat Fyfe in there. We don't have it at present

I haven't watched them that much this year but it sounds like Buddy Franklin is really struggling and they face the potentially embarrassing situation where he may have to be 'rested'. The end can come pretty quick and maybe Dave didn't want to risk that.

I haven't watched them that much this year but it sounds like Buddy Franklin is really struggling and they face the potentially embarrassing situation where he may have to be 'rested'. The end can come pretty quick and maybe Dave didn't want to risk that.
Mundy announced his retirement the Monday after he got 35 touches and 10 clearances against Melbourne. He was one of our best players that night. If the club was intent on phasing him out, why did he play such a huge role in the middle so late in the season?

Instead it looks to me that it dawned on him that he couldn’t bust a gut any longer to put up with losses (we were in a poor stretch at that point) and decided to go out while he still had something he could look back on with pride.

Mundy could have graciously played the sub role for another year and been a net positive. No way they do that with JOM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back