Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

From Sept. 2019

Jade Rawlings (senior assistant / midfield), Jared Rivers (back-line), Leigh Adams (development) and Heath Scotland (development) have joined the Kangaroos while Gavin Brown (Head of Development) and Brendan Whitecross (forward-line) have taken on new roles.

Although I should find the post-COVID setup shouldn't I...

Line coaches Jared Rivers (defence) and Brendan Whitecross (forwards) remain stood down along with Academy coach Michael Firrito and ruck coach Will Minson. Senior coach Rhyce Shaw said this week the call was made to assist the club in the immediate term. It has left head of development Gavin Brown, defensive development coach Heath Scotland and senior assistant Jade Rawling to spread their responsibilities.
Jade Rawlings midfield??? See what I mean....but probably also a tad revisionist of me. 🤪

The door will be left ajar for Rhyce if he chooses to come back as our defence coach, which he should, he did a very good job of it.
I'm not sure that in the end Rhyce did a 'good' job at anything. He turned out to be a mediocre coach, and as the season dissolved, the game style decayed with it. Grant that we had terrible injuries that meant a severe constriction on what he could do, and we can absolve him of some of the blame, but his style at the end with delisted players also seemed to be pretty poor.
I, personally, would wonder why we would bring him back, even if he has recovered from illness.

I'm not sure that in the end Rhyce did a 'good' job at anything. He turned out to be a mediocre coach, and as the season dissolved, the game style decayed with it. Grant that we had terrible injuries that meant a severe constriction on what he could do, and we can absolve him of some of the blame, but his style at the end with delisted players also seemed to be pretty poor.
I, personally, would wonder why we would bring him back, even if he has recovered from illness.
If you look at his results while his list was healthy and the pandemic hadn't taken hold you will see a stark contrast to the block of results that followed.
Considering this I reckon you have made a very harsh call.

If we had hired Gian-searing-cue-sack we would have got blasted for not hiring Noble due to his CV and experience.

Media just throwing about that the process wasn't even for all to get clicks.

We were damned if we do, damned if we don't.

At the time Paul Roos had nothing to gain by getting Noble to put his hand up, he's been extremely critical of us in the past and there was no reason for him to "do us a solid" by getting Noble to want to coach us.

And the rest of the selection panel had to tick Noble off anyway, it wasn't a one man show.

If we had hired Gian-searing-cue-sack we would have got blasted for not hiring Noble due to his CV and experience.

Media just throwing about that the process wasn't even for all to get clicks.

We were damned if we do, damned if we don't.

At the time Paul Roos had nothing to gain by getting Noble to put his hand up, he's been extremely critical of us in the past and there was no reason for him to "do us a solid" by getting Noble to want to coach us.

And the rest of the selection panel had to tick Noble off anyway, it wasn't a one man show.
Paul Roos was on the panel to help us find a new coach. It was literally part of his job to search around and explore options for the best candidate.

Paul Roos was on the panel to help us find a new coach. It was literally part of his job to search around and explore options for the best candidate.

Yeh but somewhere in the process he and the selection committee started to form a favourite candidate.

They should've done the right thing and cancelled the process citing the fact they were no longer impartial because they favoured one candidate because they seemed like the best fit.

Yeh but somewhere in the process he and the selection committee started to form a favourite candidate.

They should've done the right thing and cancelled the process citing the fact they were no longer impartial because they favoured one candidate because they seemed like the best fit.
cancelled the whole process seems a bit extreme, who’s to know he didn’t step aside when the finally call was coming?

If you look at his results while his list was healthy and the pandemic hadn't taken hold you will see a stark contrast to the block of results that followed.

Istanbul was Scott's biggest supporter despite all evidence to the contrary, so it's not a surprise holds a poor opinion of Shaw who effectively ended Scott's coaching career.

I don't think Shaw was the only one wearing rose coloured glasses during his appointment process and Id hope that history reflects that accurately. Hopefully Shaw gets another opportunity and this time he isnt overawed by the bright lights and takes his time. Im sure he will.

Perhaps you're right. Still, when we came back after the first two games, and before the s**t storm of injuries, we seemed to play a negative game style.

Istanbul was Scott's biggest supporter despite all evidence to the contrary, so it's not a surprise holds a poor opinion of Shaw who effectively ended Scott's coaching career.

No, I wasn't a hater of Scott, but recognized after the first match of his last season that he had done his dash.
Never liked the bullshit on the board here about Scott, but who wants to rehash old debates ...?
As for Shaw ending Scott's career, that's a nice re-writing of history.
My feeling is that Shaw was seen as a saviour by supporters given his good job with the team as a stand-in coach. This season told a different story, and that was that Shaw was not up for the job. Even the great win against St Kilda came on the back of a terrible first half, and Saints kicking themselves out of it. As it turned out, Shaw was probably too inexperienced, and maybe the club erred in appointing him.
Still, easy enough to feel all this in hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I wasn't a hater of Scott, but recognized after the first match of his last season that he had done his dash.
Never liked the bullshit on the board here about Scott, but who wants to rehash old debates ...?
As for Shaw ending Scott's career, that's a nice re-writing of history.
My feeling is that Shaw was seen as a saviour by supporters given his good job with the team as a stand-in coach. This season told a different story, and that was that Shaw was not up for the job. Even the great win against St Kilda came on the back of a terrible first half, and Saints kicking themselves out of it. As it turned out, Shaw was probably too inexperienced, and maybe the club erred in appointing him.
Still, easy enough to feel all this in hindsight.
I imagine Shaw would have done better with the likes of Blakey, Roos and some line coaches to support him during the season as well.

I imagine Shaw would have done better with the likes of Blakey, Roos and some line coaches to support him during the season as well.

The other thing about coaching, and why it's such a hard gig, is that you have to be experienced enough to know what to do when you're on a losing streak. The pressures grow, press conferences are scrutinized, game style and weaknesses are magnified, negative aspects of the enterprise concatenate, and supporters' natural proneness to disappointment and lack of realism/judgement is released.
I think Shaw, without more experienced support, couldn't handle our losing, and despite trying desperately hard to turn it around, the Hub and the continuing losses and the injuries got the better of him.

The other thing about coaching, and why it's such a hard gig, is that you have to be experienced enough to know what to do when you're on a losing streak. The pressures grow, press conferences are scrutinized, game style and weaknesses are magnified, negative aspects of the enterprise concatenate, and supporters' natural proneness to disappointment and lack of realism/judgement is released.
I think Shaw, without more experienced support, couldn't handle our losing, and despite trying desperately hard to turn it around, the Hub and the continuing losses and the injuries got the better of him.

Good post as always.
Extra props for casually using "concatenate" on bigfooty.

I reckon you are right about that. And maybe outside of a Hub, in Melbourne, he would had access to the sort of support and mentorship he needed to get thru all that from outside the club anyway, given his connections to the industry. As well as a full compliment of line coaches.

And i dont think it was a mistake to appoint him. If inexperienced coaches aren't given a go then all the coaches will eventually die of old age and where we will be then? Our real mistake was not doing all the other stuff we've done this year and concentrating on development in the hub.

Tho in itself that may pay off. If it does bond these young kids then going thru that s**t will make them a tighter unit. In that sense the carnage may have been worth it. The toll on Shaw and the players we have lost may be one thing but if we come out of it with a core of young talented players with a real bond then in a few years time we'll have all put this behind us. Like the campaigners we are....:devil:

Seconded about concatenate too. I had to look it up, what a great word.

Shaw was very unlucky imo with almost half the side out at stages (our better players too) any coach would have struggled.
I think the lack of really established coaches hurt Shaw a lot; especially in the challenging times with injuries etc.
If blakey came a year earlier I think things would have been different.
Obviously that means no Noble who seems like a fantastic choice moving forward.

Shaw was very unlucky imo with almost half the side out at stages (our better players too) any coach would have struggled.
I don't think vermin like Barrett living in the back of his head constantly helped either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back