Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

Thanks, GR. Lots of good stuff there but what jumped out at me was him saying he will focus on getting the best from the players' strengths, with working on their weaknesses happening but being somewhere behind building on what they are good at. I imagine Polec's eyes lighting up. As Noble is also big on players being flexible, it should be interesting and fun to watch.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
RE Polec comment "Majority of time will be spent on what the player does well"... Love that comment, no point trying to turn an outsider player with massive skills into a tagger to try prove a point.
Snap.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
RE Polec comment "Majority of time will be spent on what the player does well"... Love that comment, no point trying to turn an outsider player with massive skills into a tagger to try prove a point.

The return of common sense.

I was surprised at how many folks fell in to the crap.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR

I suspect if Polec doesn't want to be accountable defensively and take on feedback then he will suffer the same fate under Noble as he did under Shaw.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Without any disrespect, this is just so much hindsight. Did you see LMac play for werribee against men as a 17 year old? I did, and won't forget him kicking a goal from the centre square at Princes Park; any footage of Cripps doing that?

I recommend having a read of that particular posters post history and you will probably want to remove that first part of your reply.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
How many punters here actually look at the overall team strategy and it's effect on individual players? Very few.
Tbh, I just look at the Supercoach numbers. Always found it a good proxy for the quality of a player.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks, GR. Lots of good stuff there but what jumped out at me was him saying he will focus on getting the best from the players' strengths, with working on their weaknesses happening but being somewhere behind building on what they are good at. I imagine Polec's eyes lighting up. As Noble is also big on players being flexible, it should be interesting and fun to watch.
Listened to this twice. He is as measured as any other coach going around. He doesnt spew out cliched responses. The teacher in him is evident and the experience should give us comfort. I like the repetition which will become the theme Im sure. The players should be quietly ecstatic that they have a mature and considered man at the helm.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Tbh, I just look at the Supercoach numbers. Always found it a good proxy for the quality of a player.

I buy guernseys of every player I put in my team.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like his style.

He has the resume to deliver results and our list whilst young has great potential.

After 20 years we are due for some good, consistent footy played at a high level.

North Melbourne powerbrokers Brady Rawlings and Glenn Archer hit back at Wayne Carey comments
Powerbrokers Brady Rawlings and Glenn Archer have rubbished claims the embattled club is an “absolute shambles” and detailed their plan to rebuild North Melbourne in an exclusive interview with Mark Robinson.
Mark Robinson, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

MR: Arch, the belief is Brad Scott said ‘we need to rebuild’ early in 2019, but the club said ‘no we don’t’.

GA: No, he said that in 2016, and that’s when the rebuild was supposed to start, but the rebuild wasn’t a rebuild.

Seriously mate, do you just purposely ignore everything that contradicts your narrative, or do you actually not read this s***?
He is right. We started rebuilding in 2016. The rebuild wasn't a rebuild cos Scott bviously couldn't do one properly, not cos it didn't happen. We got rid of ten or eleven players in 2016 and followed up in 2017 with Spitta, LT, Sam Gibson, Loogie and Aaron Mullet.

It could be said we started rebuilding in 2016 and haven't finished yet. Or that our rebuild suffered after 2016 because of poor decisions and recruiting before and after 2016.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I recommend having a read of that particular posters post history and you will probably want to remove that first part of your reply.

There are few things that unite the many factions and disparate families in this place.

But this is one of them.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
He is right. We started rebuilding in 2016. The rebuild wasn't a rebuild cos Scott bviously couldn't do one properly, not cos it didn't happen. We got rid of ten or eleven players in 2016 and followed up in 2017 with Spitta, LT, Sam Gibson, Loogie and Aaron Mullet.

It could be said we started rebuilding in 2016 and haven't finished yet. Or that our rebuild suffered after 2016 because of poor decisions and recruiting before and after 2016.
Correct. A rebuild doesn't have to just mean "hit the draft". The fact we made a mess of it is a separate matter.

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

I think we need to be cognisant of the fact that Scott had a mandate from the board not to bottom out during his tenure. I believe it’s been mentioned a few times publicly now that we couldn’t afford to languish at the bottom with an eye to memberships and survival given the position the club was in. Some of the decisions from 2016 onwards reflect a rebuild, others don’t - the strategy was to recruit top end talent and refresh the youth base along the way, with the aim of dragging it along from the top and developing it that way.

A fine idea on paper given the context of the clubs position, but the top end talent never came in and what turned out to be deadwood in hindsight were given game time over blooding youth with an eye to protecting the longevity of the club. We are clearly more secure now so it seems a non-issue on recency bias, however, the strategy failed on execution and the list was essentially mismanaged as a result.

As frustrating as it is, I cannot wait to see our current batch of youth develop and see what they can be under the current leadership and structure of the club, and we would not be in this position without the previous administration failing. I’m firmly of the opinion we’re better off having not landed Dusty and Kelly

Yeah a control freak coach would want to run every training session rather than delegate responsibility to assistant coaches, making them feel valued and empowered. I've been told in NBA assistant coaches at the Spurs for example are given teams they have to scout for the year and its their responsiblity to present the gameplan against those assigned teams when those teams are on the schedule, so delegation isn't a bad thing, it helps your assistants grow as coaches which is what any organisation should be doing.
Yeah, good points. Delegation is a key part of successful leadership.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If it was a rebuild Ferb... it was a shocking one.

We are lucky through good drafting, NGA/FS & not trading those picks (we would have if a big fish agreed to come to us) that we have a good group of kids.

Are we allowed to say that we have just started a “good” or “proper” rebuild?

I don’t really get why some on here get so prickly about the “R” word

If it was a rebuild Ferb... it was a shocking one.
I think that was Arch's point with the "rebuild wasn't a rebuild" comment.

But I still think the way things panned out was the way that made the most sense given the situation. I'll address that in a follow up comment to sickmick.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think that was Arch's point with the "rebuild wasn't a rebuild" comment.

But I still think the way things panned out was the way that made the most sense given the situation. I'll address that in a follow up comment to sickmick.

The reality is, if we made smarter decisions from a list management perspective in 2017 & 2018 we’d have an even stronger group of kids now

I think we need to be cognisant of the fact that Scott had a mandate from the board not to bottom out during his tenure. I believe it’s been mentioned a few times publicly now that we couldn’t afford to languish at the bottom with an eye to memberships and survival given the position the club was in. Some of the decisions from 2016 onwards reflect a rebuild, others don’t - the strategy was to recruit top end talent and refresh the youth base along the way, with the aim of dragging it along from the top and developing it that way.

A fine idea on paper given the context of the clubs position, but the top end talent never came in and what turned out to be deadwood in hindsight were given game time over blooding youth with an eye to protecting the longevity of the club. We are clearly more secure now so it seems a non-issue on recency bias, however, the strategy failed on execution and the list was essentially mismanaged as a result.

As frustrating as it is, I cannot wait to see our current batch of youth develop and see what they can be under the current leadership and structure of the club, and we would not be in this position without the previous administration failing. I’m firmly of the opinion we’re better off having not landed Dusty and Kelly
Yeah. I agree with that but would add that everyone expected us to bottom out in 2018. That was when Wallet said we had the worst list in the comp. Instead we won 12 games and poor kicking by the captain cost us finals.

In 2018 Jed Anderson started playing close to the level he is at now, Maj became an elite intercepting defender and JZ moved forward and kicked nearly 40 goals. Arguably should have had 50 if he'd kicked really well. The year before we didn't have that from those players. In that context the decision to add Hall, Polec and Pittard and still net Thomas, Scott and Taylor is logical and sound. Even Tyson makes sense as inside mid depth given we didn't rate Preuss (with good reason it would seem).

If Maj hadn't had such a shitful end to 2019 who knows how that year would have panned out. We saw what the list was capable of that year, even without Maj, under Shaw.

Back