Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
The reality is, if we made smarter decisions from a list management perspective in 2017 & 2018 we’d have an even stronger group of kids now
Disagree about 2018 as I posted above and re 2017 - what other decisions would you have made?

Disagree about 2018 as I posted above and re 2017 - what other decisions would you have made?

Shouldnt have needed to delist 11 this year, some should have gone over those two years or past three years to start

These guys were lucky to make to this year in my mind. Of course the Maj story is amazing and I loved his breakout year but he should have been moved on earlier if we were serious. Wood , same. Durdin, same. Lachie was lucky to get this year. Ben is a special case but should have been LTI so we could bring in a youngster to develop.

Majak Daw (del)
Sam Durdin (del)
Lachie Hosie (del)
Ben Jacobs (del)
Mason Wood (del)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah. I agree with that but would add that everyone expected us to bottom out in 2018. That was when Wallet said we had the worst list in the comp. Instead we won 12 games and poor kicking by the captain cost us finals.

In 2018 Jed Anderson started playing close to the level he is at now, Maj became an elite intercepting defender and JZ moved forward and kicked nearly 40 goals. Arguably should have had 50 if he'd kicked really well. The year before we didn't have that from those players. In that context the decision to add Hall, Polec and Pittard and still net Thomas, Scott and Taylor is logical and sound. Even Tyson makes sense as inside mid depth given we didn't rate Preuss (with good reason it would seem).

If Maj hadn't had such a shitful end to 2019 who knows how that year would have panned out. We saw what the list was capable of that year, even without Maj, under Shaw.

Without trying to sound like a pseudo-philosophical w***er - sometimes things unfold as they do for later events to be possible. I have zero issue with the list management decisions of the time, given the context of the clubs position, save for how certain events reflected back on the club.

I agree with what you are saying. It reminds me a bit of 2007 when we were meant to cop the spoon according to the experts. When you look at the list management decisions in 2016, the 2017 season, and the fact that we probably should have played finals in 2018, the strategy may well have been solid. The development of the team from 2010-2013 and then onwards showed Scott definitely had a plan and some ability to execute. We may have won flags adding Dusty and Kelly to that mix, it is too hard to say either way.

My personal view is the recent off and on field turmoil was necessary for some very strong and inherently North people to return to our club, which has in turn paved the way for some other very astute appointments. To me it seems for the first time since Carey left we have clear air, we are secure, and I cannot oversell how excited I am by our list profile noting we still have to put the work in and execute. Sometimes things unfold as they do for later events to be possible.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I would not have brought in Polec, Pittard, Hall & Tyson. The fact you can try and defend the recruiting of them, is honestly wild, even for an extreme optimist like yourself Ferb.

In a time we should have been pumping the list full of u22 quality AND pumping games into them, we recruited 4 players that won’t be apart of our next flag. The Polec Trade and how it could have been handled differently has been well documented by Pykie, many times. We are the only side to do what we did in regards to an NGA/Pick Trade. It was the wrong decision. Given we were “rebuilding” we should have traded up the order to get a pick pre TT, loaded up on later picks or trade for a future.

We also did not invest in the draft which is the wrong decision when rebuilding. We took the regulation picks that every club takes every year. No trades to get additional picks, nothing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Ferbs. Our Board, GM of footy and entire club, acknowledge that the list decisions we made between 2017 to Brady taking over, were wrong. The insistence in defending it, is just strange IMO. Call a spade a spade, it was shockingly handled and has set us back.

Thankfully we have a far more competent football department running the show now.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would not have brought in Polec, Pittard, Hall & Tyson. The fact you can try and defend the recruiting of them, is honestly wild, even for an extreme optimist like yourself Ferb.

In a time we should have been pumping the list full of u22 quality AND pumping games into them, we recruited 4 players that won’t be apart of our next flag. The Polec Trade and how it could have been handled differently has been well documented by Pykie, many times. We are the only side to do what we did in regards to an NGA/Pick Trade. It was the wrong decision. Given we were “rebuilding” we should have traded up the order to get a pick pre TT, loaded up on later picks or trade for a future.

We also did not invest in the draft which is the wrong decision when rebuilding. We took the regulation picks that every club takes every year. No trades to get additional picks, nothing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Ferbs. Our Board, GM of footy and entire club, acknowledge that the list decisions we made between 2017 to Brady taking over, were wrong. The insistence in defending it, is just strange IMO. Call a spade a spade, it was shockingly handled and has set us back.

Thankfully we have a far more competent football department running the show now.
Can I add it’s not much about who they recruited but it was similar types that was the problem.
we desperately needed pace and skill and a couple of small forwards. never got close to a balanced list. What’s the bet they would’ve stacked up on slowish inside mids again...

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can I add it’s not much about who they recruited but it was similar types that was the problem.
we desperately needed pace and skill and a couple of small forwards. never got close to a balanced list. What’s the bet they would’ve stacked up on slowish inside mids again...

How often does our new list management team talk about “age profile”?

Don’t think I ever heard those words come out of the previous regime. They didn’t know what it was.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Yeah, this

We wanted to rebuild from the top, not the bottom. A bit like how we nailed the 10-year rule in the 70s. But when we didn't land any of the big fish, we went for smaller and smaller fish until we finally landed a few. When it would have been better to say "this isn't working, we should try something else." We have a solid group of kids, but it's by luck rather than by design.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, this

We wanted to rebuild from the top, not the bottom. A bit like how we nailed the 10-year rule in the 70s. But when we didn't land any of the big fish, we went for smaller and smaller fish until we finally landed a few. When it would have been better to say "this isn't working, we should try something else." We have a solid group of kids, but it's by luck rather than by design.

In a nutshell

Just for the record I thought Polec was a great idea. I couldn't see how we could deal to get ahead of a TT nomination, and we clearly lacked the outside class that Polly brought.
Fair enough on the others, but this one made a lot of sense I reckon.
should have traded it for a future first with a team that wanted an extra first rounder in that strong draft

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Without trying to sound like a pseudo-philosophical w***er - sometimes things unfold as they do for later events to be possible. I have zero issue with the list management decisions of the time, given the context of the clubs position, save for how certain events reflected back on the club.

I agree with what you are saying. It reminds me a bit of 2007 when we were meant to cop the spoon according to the experts. When you look at the list management decisions in 2016, the 2017 season, and the fact that we probably should have played finals in 2018, the strategy may well have been solid. The development of the team from 2010-2013 and then onwards showed Scott definitely had a plan and some ability to execute. We may have won flags adding Dusty and Kelly to that mix, it is too hard to say either way.

My personal view is the recent off and on field turmoil was necessary for some very strong and inherently North people to return to our club, which has in turn paved the way for some other very astute appointments. To me it seems for the first time since Carey left we have clear air, we are secure, and I cannot oversell how excited I am by our list profile noting we still have to put the work in and execute. Sometimes things unfold as they do for later events to be possible.
I don’t believe in fate, or everything happening for a reason, but I can look back and see the positive side of things. I don’t know if it’s true that Scott was told not to bottom out, but I also don’t know if we’d be in the outstanding position we are now with facilities and debt if the team hadn’t shown enough to generate enthusiasm for fans, sponsors, government and others to make all that happen. If we hadn’t jumped up unexpectedly in 2007 maybe we wouldn’t have a club any more at all. There have been missteps along the road, along with some amazing highlights, but all in all the road has brought us to a pretty good spot.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don’t know if it’s true that Scott was told not to bottom out........

It would just be another instance of the tail wagging the dog if that was the case.

........ but I also don’t know if we’d be in the outstanding position we are now with facilities and debt if the team hadn’t shown enough to generate enthusiasm for fans, sponsors, government and others to make all that happen. If we hadn’t jumped up unexpectedly in 2007 maybe we wouldn’t have a club any more at all.

There's nothing "outstanding" about a pile of bricks or a cautious balance sheet. Football achievement is not measured by such things.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just for the record I thought Polec was a great idea. I couldn't see how we could deal to get ahead of a TT nomination, and we clearly lacked the outside class that Polly brought.
There's a lot of revisionism around that. Plenty of posters were crowing about how well we'd done.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Finally listened to the various radio interviews with our new coach. A couple of things stood out for me:

- when the history of flag no.5 is written Roosy making several calls to Nobes over a weekend will be the lede
- Nobes is universally respected across the football world, especially wherever he has worked
- we have found ourselves a shinboner
- our youth are immensely talented & this is acknowledged by those who know football
- we have a club that is united behind a strategic plan for sustained success
- Nobes brings a grounded learning & development approach to everything he does & as a workplace trainer I love that this is not only the heart of his coaching but the basic philosophy for him as a person

It might be the isolation of hotel quarantine but I am ridiculously optimistic about the next decade for our beloved club.

There's nothing "outstanding" about a pile of bricks or a cautious balance sheet. Football achievement is not measured by such things.

There is a direct correlation. In the 21st century we'd be dead without professional facilities and a well managed balance sheet.

Without those things we'd have no football club and no possibility of any football achievements at all.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
There is a direct correlation. In the 21st century we'd be dead without professional facilities....

You don't know that.

........and a well managed balance sheet.

Balancing the books is not an "achievement".

It's no wonder this "club" is so lame when such things are lauded as some great achievement.

Without those things we'd have no football club and no possibility of any football achievements at all.

Bullshit.

The post 2007 administration has achieved NOTHING if it hasn't produced premiership cups.

Nothing else matters. As of November 2020, they have been a failure.

It is outstanding when the reality is that if we don't have them we're dead as a club.

Ask Fitzroy or South Melbourne supporters if they think it is outstanding or not.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Finally listened to the various radio interviews with our new coach. A couple of things stood out for me:

- when the history of flag no.5 is written Roosy making several calls to Nobes over a weekend will be the lede
- Nobes is universally respected across the football world, especially wherever he has worked
- we have found ourselves a shinboner
- our youth are immensely talented & this is acknowledged by those who know football
- we have a club that is united behind a strategic plan for sustained success
- Nobes brings a grounded learning & development approach to everything he does & as a workplace trainer I love that this is not only the heart of his coaching but the basic philosophy for him as a person

It might be the isolation of hotel quarantine but I am ridiculously optimistic about the next decade for our beloved club.
well said, and if you add to all of that, the club will be at the epicentre of the largest inner urban redevelopment in Melbourne for the next 25 years, the future does indeed look bright

Last edited:
You don't know that.

Balancing the books is not an "achievement".

It's no wonder this "club" is so lame when such things are lauded as some great achievement.

Bullshit.

The post 2007 administration has achieved NOTHING if it hasn't produced premiership cups.

Nothing else matters. As of November 2020, they have been a failure.

There's actually been several post 2007 administrations but you're unable to put your personal politics aside when discussing the footy club.

Your devotion to your bizarre fringe personal politics means you become shrill and emotional and are unable to have a calm and rational discussion about the football club.

Shouldnt have needed to delist 11 this year, some should have gone over those two years or past three years to start

These guys were lucky to make to this year in my mind. Of course the Maj story is amazing and I loved his breakout year but he should have been moved on earlier if we were serious. Wood , same. Durdin, same. Lachie was lucky to get this year. Ben is a special case but should have been LTI so we could bring in a youngster to develop.

Majak Daw (del)
Sam Durdin (del)
Lachie Hosie (del)
Ben Jacobs (del)
Mason Wood (del)
In 2017?

Are you serious?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

We had pick 12 and a full suite of 2019 picks as well as the remainder of our 2018 picks. We only needed to gain 4 positions in the draft.

We absolutely could have got it done.

There's a lot of revisionism around that. Plenty of posters were crowing about how well we'd done.

No there's not. I think the majority of people wanted Polec, sure, but that's not to say there weren't a lot of people on here who didn't recognise the opportunity to double dip at the draft.

Plenty of people got seduced by one particular posters ramblings about only being 1 or 2 players away from a flag for the last 4 years. Remembering we were also chasing Gaff the same offseason.

We were one of the first to have an opportunity to do it under the new system and have remained the only club to trade it for a player, rather than try and move up or gain more future picks. As much as people s**t on draft picks as magic beans, they still remain the most valuable trade commodity there is.

May, 2018.

Pykie said:
We can also keep our first pick and live trade it with some other future picks to move up above the bidding process and get Thomas and another top 10 kid.

May, 2018

Pykie said:
Teams have plenty of currency with future picks. There is also trade week to come and go before we see where all clubs stand.

Hypothetical,

North has pick 8, Essendon have pick 6.

Essendon are on the clock, and Thomas hasn't been bid on. Collingwood keen at pick 7.

Nothing stopping North live trading pick 8 and 2019 second round pick for pick 6 and taking another player, with Thomas then getting bid on at pick 7.

Essendon may get the same player they want anyway, North are overpaying relative to worth, but also getting a great deal out of it in a strong draft.

Same applies with Sydney and Blakey.

July, 2018

Pykie said:
Spot on. If we finish 9th or 10th and miss Thomas' bid by 1 spot, I'd probably consider it one of the worst years we've had in the last 2 decades. We haven't historically had many top draft picks, we have an opportunity at a free hit in an extremely strong draft. We should not be trading this pick under any circumstances.

August, 2018

Pykie said:
Absolutely. Our first should be off the table with Port. We have the opportunity to get another player before Thomas. A Rozee/Thomas offseason would set this club up for the next decade, rather than the next 2-3 years.

Back