Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I completely disagree with David King on this.

My interpretation is that we drew up a shortlist and went to the highest credentialed candidates to invite them into the selection mix. That doesn't mean we had pre-ordained any of them.

Actually a bit shitty with King coming out with this now when I think about it.

Is he forgetting we also contacted Voss and Lyon to sound them out / encourage them to partake in the application process? I hardly think we did that just to give David Noble some running mates.

Use your noggin next time Kingy.

Why? 3 on the short list, 2 of whom didn't need any coaxing and one who did. Funky Ben Amarfio didn't say that he was preferred from the outset, just that Roos had to sweet talk him.
Each candidate would have been put up by someone on the selection panel. There may not be anything in this.

Obviously Noble had to sell himself well to the panel and of course it's essential due diligence to sound out top shelf candidates which Roosey has done but it's more the degree to which Noble went into with his conversations with Roosey that doesn't sit 100% comfortably with me. If I was Gia or Harvs I'd be wondering if I was wasting my time as Roosey had already cherry picked his man and had given him the inside word on what the panel wants to hear. It'd just be nice to hear from the club that if Gia and Harvs had been sounded out by Brady, Roos or one of the Bens that they had also been able to have access/conversations to the degree that Noble seems to have been able to do. Also Roos' views on the selection panel probably would have held more weight than others (rightly or wrongly) so it was stacked in Noble's favour.

Having the perception that we don't give everyone an equal chance will hurt us with media blowback (not that fussed) but more importantly potentially precluding top candidates from being involved next time we need a coach as they would feel like they won't be judged fairly on their merits.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I completely disagree with David King on this.

My interpretation is that we drew up a shortlist and went to the highest credentialed candidates to invite them into the selection mix. That doesn't mean we had pre-ordained any of them.

Actually a bit shitty with King coming out with this now when I think about it.

Is he forgetting we also contacted Voss and Lyon to sound them out / encourage them to partake in the application process? I hardly think we did that just to give David Noble some running mates.

Use your noggin next time Kingy.

A complete nothing burger. Basically a controversy looking for an issue.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't necessarily disagree with all King's points, especially about how missing out on the appointments are seen as a black mark against coaches, and that it only takes a few of those before they're consigned to the assistant coaching waste bin for the rest of their careers.

But, and it's a pretty big but, every comment I see from the industry seems to indicate that Noble was the best candidate available and that the only reason he even decided to apply was because Roos talked him into it.

Ultimately I think there is an important conversation to be had about the perception of the perennial runner ups, but dragging the Roosey s**t into the conversation completely destroys any chance of it happening because now the soundbites and discussion is going to be all about how ThE PRoCesS wAS FlAweD agAiN.

Thanks, Kingy.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A complete nothing burger. Basically a controversy looking for an issue.
Totally agree........to suggest the process was compromised because a panel member reached out to a potential candidate implies this was the exception to the engagement brief. I would suggest that roles like this are not filled by placing an ad in the local fish and chip shop but by seeking out the best / most available candidates and asking them to apply....which appears to be the case here. If the playing field wasnt level ie Noble got an extra week to prepare or was given an insight into what the panel wanted then yep I would suggest the process was compromised. Nothing to see here

He is an expert practitioner in picking the low-hanging fruit.

Yep, he's made a career out of generating clicks, the ultimate Mr Dial-a-quote.

I used to think his long standing criticism was because he was dirty he was tapped on the shoulder, but now I think it's because he knows his gives him a paycheck and nothing else.

Obviously Noble had to sell himself well to the panel and of course it's essential due diligence to sound out top shelf candidates which Roosey has done but it's more the degree to which Noble went into with his conversations with Roosey that doesn't sit 100% comfortably with me. If I was Gia or Harvs I'd be wondering if I was wasting my time as Roosey had already cherry picked his man and had given him the inside word on what the panel wants to hear. It'd just be nice to hear from the club that if Gia and Harvs had been sounded out by Brady, Roos or one of the Bens that they had also been able to have access/conversations to the degree that Noble seems to have been able to do. Also Roos' views on the selection panel probably would have held more weight than others (rightly or wrongly) so it was stacked in Noble's favour.

Having the perception that we don't give everyone an equal chance will hurt us with media blowback (not that fussed) but more importantly potentially precluding top candidates from being involved next time we need a coach as they would feel like they won't be judged fairly on their merits.
Meh. Kingy not knowing how the panel operated is hardly the club's fault or problem.

I don't necessarily disagree with all King's points, especially about how missing out on the appointments are seen as a black mark against coaches, and that it only takes a few of those before they're consigned to the assistant coaching waste bin for the rest of their careers.

But, and it's a pretty big but, every comment I see from the industry seems to indicate that Noble was the best candidate available and that the only reason he even decided to apply was because Roos talked him into it.

Ultimately I think there is an important conversation to be had about the perception of the perennial runner ups, but dragging the Roosey sh*t into the conversation completely destroys any chance of it happening because now the soundbites and discussion is going to be all about how ThE PRoCesS wAS FlAweD agAiN.

Thanks, Kingy.

I'm confused? How is it incumbent on us to leave unsuccessful candidates with glowing references?

If they were good enough they would have been selected.

King has insunated that Roos has away over the rest of the selection panel and that the interview process was irrelevant.

That's a pretty big effing accusation, and he's made it with nothing to back it up.

I know journalistic standards are low these days but that's disgraceful as a media personality let alone a former North player.

Problem is, people lap nothing comments like those these days.

He is Robbo V2 but without the stench of bourbon.

I don't see anything outside the norm for executive head hunting.
Recruiter identifies a suitable candidate who may not have actually been considering the role and the recruiter encourages them to apply.

Move along nothing to see here.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All of this speculation and questioning of our 'process' amounts to diddly squat if Noble coaches us to some good wins early on in the season, and is squashed for good after 12 months in the chair.

This is all off-season bluster to stoke the flames for eventual drama down the track if things don't pan out, and Kingy, knowingly or otherwise is contributing to that by pure speculation.

Back