News David Noble - New North Melbourne Coach

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Of course North would take the cheap option who can multi task and perform both the head coach and head of football roles.

Wasn't your mob too cheap/penny pinchers to hire any decent assitant/support staff for Nicks this year ?

The general consensus around the traps in the footy industry is that Noble was the best available candidate out there in the marketplace ?
They took their time and went through a decent and through process of appointing him..

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
He Has not set the world on fire in his roles assistant at Carlton and Collingwood.

For where North is at, and for organic development of their youth and rebuild, David Noble is absolutely the right guy for the Roos.
So why does he get shortlisted then?

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I trust North haven't blundered the coaching appointment twice in 2 years. Otherwise it would be strange for a club that bans gambling.

HG Pennypacker

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2011
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
there are more factors that just this to explain our downfall but it’s no coincidence Adelaide and Brisbane have gone in different directions since he left.

very smart choice. Being a head coach now is more than just game day and traditional ‘coaching’ - it’s the face of the club and can totally change the mentality and culture.

noble will do good things at North

So you knew that Shaw had mental health issues, COVID-19 would occur and our injury list would happen?

Wish I was as good as you.
I don't get the line that Shaw was a botched appointment.

He was a 2 time back to back Assistant Coach of the year who had incredible report with the players.

2020 was a mess and Shaw's mental health issues are not something that was evident prior to his appointment and obviously exacerbated by what a s**t show 2020 was and certain media personalities with an unhealthy obsession taking cheap shots.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't get the line that Shaw was a botched appointment.

He was a 2 time back to back Assistant Coach of the year who had incredible report with the players.

2020 was a mess and Shaw's mental health issues are not something that was evident prior to his appointment and obviously exacerbated by what a sh*t show 2020 was and certain media personalities with an unhealthy obsession taking cheap shots.
Exactly this.

It is easy for the cheap seats to second guess what actually occurred.

‘’It was, to be cliche, a perfect storm that engulfed the club. There is no shame in it, it is what it is.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Of course North would take the cheap option who can multi task and perform both the head coach and head of football roles.
well he worked at your club as a list management role didn't he?

Really? About as stupid a comment as has been posted this year, which is saying something.
I am not here to pot shot your team. I think David Noble is a good pick up.

Was a crows list manager. Left at the end of 2016 or start of 2017.

Goes to Brisbane. Stays there for 4-5 years. Brisbane has improved under his watch as a list management person too.

I don't know how he will go as a coach but if he can improve north like he did at the crows and Brisbane, then that is a good thing

Last edited:

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think Norths rebuild will take as long as most people think. Got a fairly solid core coming through. Really need to nail the next few years at the draft and they're set to go.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If it comes off they'll look great but I don't really see the need to put the timeframe on it. Even Gale who is rightly getting praised now for his bold goals a decade ago, took seven years for it to come off. Top 4 in two or three years seems pretty unlikely for North and seems to be putting a fair bit of pressure on Noble.

That’s an absolutely pathetic statement by Buckley. Any reasonable person knows North aren’t going to be anywhere near top 4 in a couple of year. Why even say that?

I think the statement is fair enough, he didn't say we HAVE to be making top 4, he said put into a position where we can regularly make the top 4 and win finals/flags. You do not want to be going from one five year plan after another like Richmond did in their limbo years.

I think what the club is looking for is a system which is competitive and will eventually hold up when playing finals football. It is that direction where the club wants to know in 2-3 years that we are on the right track or not. If you do not have the vision or ability to implement what you want to do then it is going to be obvious in 2-3 years.

I felt it was obvious after 2012 that Brad Scott lacked the ability to execute what he wanted to achieve and felt we had to go a different direction, giving him 8 more years didn't get the job done, at some point it is obvious who can coach and who can't. David is getting the opportunity to show he can coach and it will be evident if he can execute regardless the calibre of player at his disposal. Recruiting well and developing well is just going to enable you to get results.

I think the problem with Shaw was that he just tried to tweak Scott's game plan, he really didn't have his own vision about how a side should play, imo it should have raised some red flags but I didn't think we had much a process last time, I think we have learnt from that mistake.

Back