Review David Noble - Smooth Operator, or Scourge of God?

Is David Noble...

• a Smooth Operator?

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • the Scourge Of God?

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • he's no Phil Harper, that's for sure

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost me with that bullshit about Wright and Mackay playing 'non-statistical roles'. Don't appreciate having my ear pissed in.
Took a dump on the culture we are so craving to build and reinforce.

Lost me with that bullshit about Wright and Mackay playing 'non-statistical roles'. Don't appreciate having my ear pissed in.

I thought that was really obvious.

They're playing structural roles - they understand the defensive spacing and switches and the offensive screens.

You can say you'd rather have stats (I would have dropped Wright, at least), but it's obvious that he telling the truth about why they made the decision.

It's annoying they wouldn't trust others to play the same role and offer more in other areas.

They're playing structural roles - they understand the defensive spacing and switches and the offensive screens.

You can say you'd rather have stats (I would have dropped Wright, at least), but it's obvious that he telling the truth about why they made the decision.

It's annoying they wouldn't trust others to play the same role and offer more in other areas.

Exactly! So long as Mooks falls over in the right part of the ground his role is safe. Wright just needs to wander aimlessly around his zone and occasionally kick it from within his zone to the neighbouring zone and he is safe.

I'm nominating for the draft next year, coz as a footballer I too make an awesomely flaccid traffic cone. And I can kick on both legs(occasionally).

The problem we have now is that we keep selecting players who don't deserve it, so we come up with bullshit reasons to justify it - like claiming that players who contribute nothing, actually contribute plenty; we just can't quantify it.

And then we have the laughable where Lyons, who was drafted as a HFF, has apparently shown in the last fortnight that he's capable of playing as a HFF, so now we can finally select him.

Our selections are a joke - I'd love to know what the setup is, and who is making what decisions; because Noble appears to be the constant.

It really does defy logic. There's only 2 ways that this goes down;

1. The footy dept has pegged 2 required roles in a team that aren't hard tagging related, or at least not of the oppositions prime movers, where only they can quantify effectiveness. Obviously, if success is measured upon how little the players appear to achieve, then they have certainly picked the right blokes. So kudo's deserved there. I'd ask which 2 players are playing these roles for other successful teams.

2. It's just typical rubbish from this arrogant efftard who thinks that every supporter is a moron and will swallow whatever s**t spills from his mouth as if it's chocalate mousse.

Personally, I wouldn't have a clue either way. Both are equally as plausible.

Good overall despite some blunders.

I do feel for Noble in one way. Eg when we were going to front-end a bunch of contracts and roll forward the Tippett money to create a war chest. Obviously this was another lie from Trigg/Chapman. Despite our "war chest" we had to off-load Vince and delist Tambling just to afford Betts so our war chest amount was $0.00. We took the opportunity to pay minimum salary cap to minimise our financial losses, which left Noble hamstrung. Plus at one stage we had him doing multiple jobs rather than shelling out a few dollars to bring in decent support.
Whereas I agree with most of what you've written I'm not sure the bolded part is correct. I believe Vince was offloaded to get picks in the draft and Tambling dumped because he was not good enough. Nothing to do with money. In fact money was of so little concern that we could throw two years salary at our coach knowing there was a strong likelihood of he being sacked.

Back on topic, Noble, as far as I can make out has been good overall.

Whereas I agree with most of what you've written I'm not sure the bolded part is correct. I believe Vince was offloaded to get picks in the draft and Tambling dumped because he was not good enough. Nothing to do with money. In fact money was of so little concern that we could throw two years salary at our coach knowing there was a strong likelihood of he being sacked.
Salary cap money can't be saved and spent in other areas. It can only be spent on players and if you don't use it, you lose it. Can't roll it into next year.

I'm sure we wanted picks too but replacing Vince with a draftee freed up cap space, as did delisting Tambling. Whether it was our primary aim doesn't matter.

Good explanation, in theory, but have you watched them play?

They don't do those things.

Good explanation, in theory, but have you watched them play?

They don't do those things.

Sure - I agree.

But the selectors don't. They're not lying, they just can see something that no one else can. Somehow ...

Sure - I agree.

But the selectors don't. They're not lying, they just can see something that no one else can. Somehow ...
I think it's simply this deeply ingrained belief (or fear) we have that if there are too many youngsters in a team at once we'll lose. Especially in the engine room.

Lyons, CEY, M Crouch, Grigg, Kerridge, Knight, Atkins are always fighting for two spots.

I think it's simply this deeply ingrained belief (or fear) we have that if there are too many youngsters in a team at once we'll lose. Especially in the engine room.

Lyons, CEY, M Crouch, Grigg, Kerridge, Knight, Atkins are always fighting for two spots.

The other thing is a very strong love for depth charts.

For instance Lyons/CEY are fighting for that engine room spot, whereas, Wright/Mackay main competitor is recovering from injury (Kerridge/Jaesnch). We do have a fear of deviating from that it seems, which, is why moves like CEY to HFF don't happen.

Or alternatively i'm making up s**t to cope with the grief of having to watch Wright and Mackay spud it up this week again, actually, watch is the wrong word for Wright as he is always guarding space away from the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there really such a thing as a "non-statistical" role? I mean is there nothing about those roles that can be measured?

In this day and age where clubs have statistics coming out of their ears it's difficult to believe.

Even the guys not playing, sitting in the stands can have their performances measured. Just count how many beers they've had.

Last edited:
Yea, it's bullshit - he obviously realized that last weeks, "I'm not telling!" explanation didn't go down well, so they came up with this.

Like I said; when players are selected when they clearly shouldn't be, you need to come up with something usually insane to try and explain it.

Telling us they play roles which can't be quantified or measures achieves that.

I'm considering updating my sig.

Possibly not that they are not skilled enough, but that they might run out of gas in the last and fade too fast.....

We'll see.

As players hit 40 to 50 games and find consistency, like Laird has, perhaps we'll see more confidence to play the under 20 game players.

Is there really such a thing as a "non-statistical" role? I mean is there nothing about those roles that can be measured?

In this day and age where clubs have statistics coming out of their ears it's difficult to believe.

Even the guys not playing, sitting in the stands can have their performances measured. Just count how many beers they've had.
They will download the GPS track to see if they are sticking to game plan. If their role is to zone off and hold that position, then run to the next position.

That is the only scenario that I can fathom after a couple of fortified Shirazes, that the coaches could spot that we can't.

Like a really specific position in the forward press.

*ing hard to know without anyone from the club elaborating.

Last edited:
Um The majority of Tamblings contract was paid by Richmond. They paid us to take him off their hands.

Say what?!?!?!?!?

they did nothing of the sort; you must have confused him with Ronnie Burns

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...urrect-career-in-adelaide-20101006-168e3.html

Richmond were not giving him away and they certainly weren't paying anyone to take him. We traded plenty to get him

As for noble no one knows what he does or what he's responsible for. Which means you can't say he's done a bad job, or a good one. Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive stayed out of this thread because I have no idea what noble does.

I have to admit to being more than a little worried that the same man that selected that shirt may be selecting our team.

The other thing is a very strong love for depth charts.

For instance Lyons/CEY are fighting for that engine room spot, whereas, Wright/Mackay main competitor is recovering from injury (Kerridge/Jaesnch). We do have a fear of deviating from that it seems, which, is why moves like CEY to HFF don't happen.

Or alternatively i'm making up s**t to cope with the grief of having to watch Wright and Mackay spud it up this week again, actually, watch is the wrong word for Wright as he is always guarding space away from the ball.
Remember when we had a coach called blight who played players in different positions. Wasnt that a treat. Remember when mcleod was moved into the midfield in the gf in 98 and won the norm smith. If cey cant fit in our 22 as a midfielder he should be in there as a defender or a hff. Might even be a matchwinner. Cant see him being any worse than wright or mackay.

Say what?!?!?!?!?

they did nothing of the sort; you must have confused him with Ronnie Burns

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...urrect-career-in-adelaide-20101006-168e3.html

Richmond were not giving him away and they certainly weren't paying anyone to take him. We traded plenty to get him

As for noble no one knows what he does or what he's responsible for. Which means you can't say he's done a bad job, or a good one. Who knows?
Noble maybe the non statistical role pioneer. Now we know where he got the term from
image.jpg

Last edited:
latest

Back