Badabing

Senior List
Mar 31, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
What the hell is David Parkins problem with Brendan Fevola and the CFC?

I have suspected for a while that he is very bitter about what has happened at Carlton over the last couple of years and just doesn't like Brendan Fevola.......and the latter of my suspicions was confirmed on Talking Essendon last night.

Hutchie asked Parko directly "Why didn't you award Brendan the medal, when it was clear that both coaches thought he was by far BOG?" Parko's response was "on principal....on the principal that I would give it to anyone but Fevola” He then proceeded to cr@p on about how Nick Steven's stood up and virtually won the game for us when it was there to be won!!!

I must admit that upon watching the game on tape (over and over) I was pretty surprised that Stevo got the medal considering he struggled to get into most comentators/journo's AND the Coaches bests for the night. I'm not taking anything away from Stevo - I love the class of the bloke - but please Parko, for gods sake show some maturity and give credit where credit's due - Brendan has come a long way since his wayward days 3-4 years ago and I just reckon he (Parko) should pull his head in and get over it! Maybe he's just bitter that HE couldn't do what Denis seems to be doing in getting the best out of a potential super star of the game?

Is that too harsh on Parko or on the money? I love Parko and what he has done for this club over the years and I guess that is part of the reason why I feel pretty passionate about it. Every time he is asked to pass comment on Carlton he seems to struggle to say anything positive about us - I would expect more from a man of his standing at The Carlton Football Club.

Keen to hear your thoughts on this.

Firstly, I have no problem with Stevo getting the gong as I believe he was at least equal to BOG on the night, on the Blues side at least. I know many of various fan forums had him as their best.

Not sure what Parko's problem with Fev is but the fact that Fev has sung the praises of Pagan where Britts and before him Parko didn't push the right buttons with him. Obviously it is a reflection of a failing and no coach likes to admit that. They all have failings and no doubt Pagan does as well but the good coaches will go to school on those failings.

If Parko has a problem with the Blues, I'd imagine that he has copped some of the flak over our drafting and trading record in his later years and the whole cultural cleanout post John Elliott. The fact that his protege, Wayne Brittain, was removed unceremoniously in the manner he was probably only deepens the wound.

i must admit i stayed up late ... like 12.30 ... to watch talking **** up here in sydney ...

i havent watched it for ages, its such a crap program. they dont go thru the games, all they do is talk about stuff thats already been talked about to death. the only knew thing was that scuffle in the melbourne corporate area, i hadn't heard that b4.

about fevola, yeah i was thinking the same thing. i actually listened to ABC radio up here, cos the game wasn't live, and someone i think rocket eade asked parko if fev was gonna get the medal. He said it was for courage and leadership or some crap and stevens deserved it. i think its a blessing in disguise to have stevo get a gone, maybe itl give him some more confidence and play even better games.

also remember parkin has close ties with hawthorn. he would have been dissapointed, he sounded it actually on the commentary, that carlton had got over the top. its like listening to dermie, he may try to sing our praises, but he was ****ted off we came away with the points the other night.

i agree about him being bitter about brits. i met brits cos i used to swim at a swimming club with his daughter. he seemed like a really nice guy, he was coaching our reserves at the time. and i remember him saying he'd be our next coach, which i thought was a bit wierd. anyways parko would be very bitter that he got the chop, considering parking pretty much let him coach out his last 2 yrs, did pretty well, and wanted him instilled as a long term coach. after 1 yr he got the chop.

My problem isn't that Stevo got the gong. As I stated I'm rapt we have him and I'm aware of his effectiveness week in week out - even when he 'only' gets 20 touches. The man is ALL class mixed in with a lot of grit and determination.

My problem is however with Parko and in particular his reluctance to accept Fevvy for what he is - a rejuvenated FF who is doing his job almost every week. He kicked 60 odd goals last year and is on target to well and truly beat that this year with 45 to date. He has by far the highest conversion rate outside 50 and I haven't heard Parko say ONE SINGLE positive comment about him.

Parkos comment that he would award the gong to ."anyone but Fevola" is what really got up my goat the most. This tells me that while he probably agreed that Fev was BOG he just couldn't bring himself to give him the award. Again, nothing against Stevens but I probably would have given the award to Peter Everitt ahead of him - the man ran himself into the ground non stop and clearly beat us in the ruck - he consistantly beat 3-4 carlton players at most ruck contests throughout the night. I have no doubt that had Hawthorn won the game Spida would had the medal hanging around his neck.

If Parko is the consummate professional he likes everyone to think he is then he should (IMO) be able to put aside his past issues with our club and give credit where it's due. As for his close links with Hawthorn - if he cant separate himself from that role when he is on TV then get off and go back to the board room or office at Glenferrie where it doesn't matter what he says or thinks of us.

I was personally shocked when Nick was awarded the medal. Not so much that Fev didnt get it , I just didnt think that Nick played very well.

I think I must be seeing things very differently to most Carlton supporters as most seem to be very positive about him. It is not that I dont think he has exceptional ability I just dont feel that he is giving anywhere near 100%.

Stats are one thing and he does get high possessions each week and many are effective. However for a man of his skill he also wastes the ball under pressure. His handballs under fire have been particularly questionable.

I believe that his mind is focassed on too many negative things to be in an aware state. As such his reaction time is slower than they would be if he was clear headed and playing instictively.

I have no doubt that if he stops playing the victim and concentrates on the contest rather than stressing over taggers and umpires he will be an exceptional player.

I would love to see Nick go really hard at contests, chase and man up with full desire and dispose of the ball with instinct. Then we will get the full value of a very talented footballer.

I tend to agree with you pumped, although in fariness to Nick it is still only his first year at Carlton and I'm sure he will only get better as we get a few more wins on the board and he starts to feel more a part of the club. While he talks the talk (about the CFC) I don't think he is walking the walk yet.....but time will sort that out sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by Jimmae
I disagree with both of you.

Some of the time he has been on his own and he has shown leadership in everyway possible... he has never been creative by hand anyway - spent too much time receiving off Francou and Primus at Port.

Trust me - the guy is changing his game.

I don't understand the anti-Stevens sentiment here either. I think he's going fine, although there's further improvement in him as he adjusts this year.

Well I certainly hope there isnt a hidden anti-stevens sentiment amongst our supporters.

I agree with Jimmae that Stevens has definitely adjusted his playing style & for someone who came over with a "soft reciever" tag he has certainly made a myth of that.

The one thing I noticed is that he doesnt take many marks or overhead marks, but his work in the clinches & his clearances have been superb for us.
Gee another high quality midfielder (Kouta if he can get right) & Carlton will improve dramatically.
Stevens, Scotland, Campo & Kouta would rate highly amongst other on-ball brigades & then throw in periphery players who will improve eg. Walker & the future is looking bright, especially if we draft wisely now that we are back in that game.

Glad we have Stevens for many years to come.

I would like to make it clear that it is not that I dont think Stevens can play. I think he is very talented and is worth his place in the side.

My point is that he is not playing to the potential I believe he has. I also dont think he is lacking in physical courage. It is his mental application that I question.

I am happy to differ on this one as most supporters do seem to disasgree. I believe he is giving us around 70% of his potential. Players such as Thornton, Lappin, Teague and even Prendeghast and Johnson appear to apply themselves to a much higher degree.

It doesnt mean that they are better players. Obviously Nick at 70% is better than Prenda at 100. All I want is for all of our list to have an honest crack. Being new to the club to me is no excuse. Johno and Teague are also new.

To be honest I thought that Peter Everitt was pretty stiff not to get the medal. He single handly nearly won that game for the Hawks and I thought it was his best game I have ever seen. We only broke away when Everitt had ran himself into the ground.

Stevens and Fev have both been brilliant for us this year. As someone has noted Stevens has changed his game as has Campo.

There is certainly no anti-Stevens sentiments as far as I'm concerned. as I clearly stated in my first post I love the bloke and he is ALL class!!!

This has nothing to do with Stevens getting the gong but more about Parkin's comments about Fev and his reluctance to give Fev OR Carlton any credit whatsoever over the last two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back