David Rodan, Goal umpire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Article in the Hun which was largely just a rehash of the rules changes, but contained the following snippet..

In other umpiring news, former Richmond, Port Adelaide and Melbourne midfielder David Rodan will officiate as a goal umpire at AFL level for the first time during the JLT Community Series after impressing in the VFL last year.

Good to see one of the more likable people in the game continuing his involvement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...7/news-story/f2aa5486470abb623fbbbaa00e9d8cc6

Have met him off field & can confirm that he is indeed a top bloke!
All the best to David :thumbsu:

Look forward to him umpiring Port games. You're a legend Rodan we always loved you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was very, very good today

I, for one, was extremely disappointed with his performance.

Not once did I see him do the worm...

7evf.gif

I remember a couple of years back, in one of his first games, Noah Balta had a bit of a friendly chat/interaction with a (female) umpire that got people commenting.

Turned out she used to be his teacher in high school and was just congratulating him on making it to the AFL.

Umpires are human, and they are bound to know some players outside of 'work'. So long as there is no evidence that it effects their decision making, I don't see why it's a problem.

I remember a couple of years back, in one of his first games, Noah Balta had a bit of a friendly chat/interaction with a (female) umpire that got people commenting.

Turned out she used to be his teacher in high school and was just congratulating him on making it to the AFL.

Umpires are human, and they are bound to know some players outside of 'work'. So long as there is no evidence that it effects their decision making, I don't see why it's a problem.

Was it Chelsea?

Was Rodan the first Fijian player? Wiki says he was first Fijian to 100 games, but scratching my head as to who came before him.

Was Rodan the first Fijian player? Wiki says he was first Fijian to 100 games, but scratching my head as to who came before him.
This is what is recognised

PlayerConnection to FijiVFL/AFL Years*VFL/AFL Matches*
Nic NaitanuiParents[12]2009 -32
Alipate CarlileBorn, mother2006 -74
Setanta Ó hAilpínMother (Rotuman)2005 -72
David RodanBorn, to Fijian-born Tongan mother and Tongan father[13][14][12]2002 -150
Wes FellowesMother1981–1989102
Charlie MooreBorn1897–189930
Aaron HallMother[12]2012-97
Aisake Ó hAilpínMother2004-20080 (VFL only)[15]
Tom NichollsMother2011-45
Esava RatugoleaParents[16]2017-8

Charlie Moore was a cousin of Roy Cazaly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back