David Sierakowski's business collapses

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I will always remember David being a member of the 1997 Grand Final team, but he made the news in Perth today cause his business has gone bust.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/pe...cial-woes-for-former-afl-player-ng-b88989643z

Short summary: A company owned by former St Kilda and West Coast Eagles player David Sierakowski is in liquidation, with debts of more than $450,000.

Sounds like he owes money to lots of people and taxes as well.

With all due respect, and not wanting to cause you any offence, just WHY would this be relevant to us?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Further proof of our poor culture creaing problems for players and ex players alike:rolleyes:. Seriously, just wait for that flog Barrett to turn this into a story, sorry exclusive, along those lines.

I had a client not pay me last year because they went belly up. Primary reason was they owed the ATO about $180k. Seems to me that there's a certain boundary with the tax man and once you step over it, he goes full beast mode.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Siera has been a great friend of the Western Saints for a long time and is a fantastic fella , he threw his all into his business and its not come off well for him .. i dont think there is much more to read into it .. hes a pretty enthusiastic and switched on guy so while this would sting he will bounce back and im sure be successful in what he turns his hand to next .... sadly he isnt alone in having tried and faild in his business ventures here in WA, there have certainly been many compaines go bust over here in the last 5/6 years and more are facing hardship ...

Siera has been a great friend of the Western Saints for a long time and is a fantastic fella , he threw his all into his business and its not come off well for him .. i dont think there is much more to read into it .. hes a pretty enthusiastic and switched on guy so while this would sting he will bounce back and im sure be successful in what he turns his hand to next .... sadly he isnt alone in having tried and faild in his business ventures here in WA, there have certainly been many compaines go bust over here in the last 5/6 years and more are facing hardship ...

didnt help that the arrangement between subi and optus was completely different i.e. the business was gone.

not his fault. just another person in the queue that got shafted by the move from subi to optus.

I had a client not pay me last year because they went belly up. Primary reason was they owed the ATO about $180k. Seems to me that there's a certain boundary with the tax man and once you step over it, he goes full beast mode.

A friend of mine works under contract in the Construction Industry.
He's a genuine contractor, will take on a project , and see it to completion , then move onto something else.

BUT...
People were doing contracting as a tax dodge, making PAYE earners contractors so they could claim all sorts of costs and dodge tax.
SO
The government made a rule that you couldn't just work for a single company under contract. That's fine if you are mowing lawns, but if you are in construction management its easy to find projects that take up all of your time for more than a year. My friend always had to go out of his way to work for around 3 companies in a 2 year period.

All good until.
a) One company refuses to pay him on a trumped up technicality and he needs to try sue them to try to get his money ( will take years ).
b) Because he wasn't paid by company due to a), he has a year where he just worked for a single organisation, and the tax department rule that he owes them 6 figures. Double Wammy.

A friend of mine works under contract in the Construction Industry.
He's a genuine contractor, will take on a project , and see it to completion , then move onto something else.

BUT...
People were doing contracting as a tax dodge, making PAYE earners contractors so they could claim all sorts of costs and dodge tax.
SO
The government made a rule that you couldn't just work for a single company under contract. That's fine if you are mowing lawns, but if you are in construction management its easy to find projects that take up all of your time for more than a year. My friend always had to go out of his way to work for around 3 companies in a 2 year period.

All good until.
a) One company refuses to pay him on a trumped up technicality and he needs to try sue them to try to get his money ( will take years ).
b) Because he wasn't paid by company due to a), he has a year where he just worked for a single organisation, and the tax department rule that he owes them 6 figures. Double Wammy.
Nightmare!

Former Saint and son of a Premiership player. What’s your beef with him?

No “beef” with him at all, but plenty of people go bust.... why should it be an item on this forum. I really don’t see why a former player who appears to have, one way or another, mismanaged his business dealings, merits a thread on here. By the way, does anyone have any sympathy for the employees of this company? Or the folk he owes money too? Just saying.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No “beef” with him at all, but plenty of people go bust.... why should it be an item on this forum. I really don’t see why a former player who appears to have, one way or another, mismanaged his business dealings, merits a thread on here. By the way, does anyone have any sympathy for the employees of this company? Or the folk he owes money too? Just saying.

I’m always interested in former players and what’s happened to them. And certainly more relevant on a Saints forum than great Aussie nicknames or English Premier League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back