Oppo Camp David Swallow staying North until at least the end of 2024, AFTER WHICH he becomes (?) a NMFC player

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Coast Suns insist it’s not rebuilding, overhaul of medical team to help retain star players
origin:video_integrator.sxYnZtMzE607F2j73bppTH7En3fyZK6F

GOLD Coast is adamant it is not rebuilding, hopeful a total overhaul of its medical and conditioning team will help retain its star players.

The Suns were on Wednesday forced to clarify footy boss Marcus Ashcroft’s presentation at last Thursday’s Gold Coast board meeting.

Multiple reports from Melbourne had Ashcroft and coach Rodney Eade requesting a three-year rebuild given the club’s on field struggles.

But Ashcroft said on Wednesday he alone presented to the board and gave a simple update on the club’s three-year football plan, which started last year.

He said on Tuesday David Swallow’s trip to see North Melbourne fitness staffer Steve Saunders was “massively” overblown, with the midfielder a required and contracted player.

The Suns believe they will get eight first-22 players back into the side in the first fortnight and say they have enough talent on their list.

story-fni0cx12-da37dfdde6260b9a5e5b8f245022987d

“We have never spoken the word rebuild,’’ Ashcroft said.

“We had a three-year plan approved last year where we had 11 off-field footy changes and the board meeting was nothing out of the ordinary. It was me presenting on how we are going with footy and that was it.

“We have got a lot of good talent, we just need to give them a chance to play.

“We made six changes in high performance, we brought in Max Rooke, a new reserves coach, Michelle Mitchell as our player development manager and also someone in sports psychology.

“We are getting to the point where we have enough resources to give these guys the best chance.”

Gary Ablett, Aaron Hall, Steven May and Tom Nicholls will return against West Coast, with Trent McKenzie, Adam Saad, Touk Miller, Alex Sexton and Matt Rosa available the week after.

David Swallow has been strongly linked to his brother Andrew’s North Melbourne, but Ashcroft says he is going nowhere.

“He is contracted next year and we want him as part of our club. Everyone can be as subjective as they want but he has got a contract and we want him as part of our footy club,” he said.

Ashcroft also believes Jaeger O’Meara will stay as he closes on a NEAFL return after knee issues.

“Internally there is a lot of energy and positivity. Everyone is really motivated, especially Jaeger. He wants to come back and play a lot of footy in the second half of the year,” he said.

“We are consciously trying to get feedback from the players so we think we are on the right path.

“All we can do is have faith in what we are doing and the feedback is we are on the right path.”

Such a rubbish article, and really does smell of journo sniffing bigfooty...
that aside I would be gutted if he went, one of my fave players to watch. Still commands a top 1st round pick/best 22 player provided he gets back on the park on the latter half of the year.

Totally agree on all points. Bit of 2 + 2 = banana by the media, but no surprise there.

I think though he's not the player we need at the moment and would cost still more than we would prefer if he doesn't get himself right.

Either way though whether it's for Suns or us, hope he gets healthy soon as his talent is as good as his personality much like his brother.

If we can get his body right he has the potential to win our next 5 B&F's. Worth the risk.

When does the heat come on Marcus Ashcroft? Has been their football manager since they were on the TAC Cup. Has overseen all drafting and list decisions, coaching appointments, medical departments etc.

Surely he has to be held responsible for the dross that that football club has become.

When does the heat come on Marcus Ashcroft? Has been their football manager since they were on the TAC Cup. Has overseen all drafting and list decisions, coaching appointments, medical departments etc.

Surely he has to be held responsible for the dross that that football club has become.

Love it how Max Rooke as a reserves coach is something to write home about :drunk:

David Swallow eyeing Round 23 AFL comeback after strong first game back in NEAFL
f761c28b3a6ec633888657b9b08ecc2d

DAVID Swallow has set the bar high by targeting the Gold Coast Suns final round home match against Port Adelaide for his comeback to the AFL.

The star midfielder played his first game since the middle of last year for the Suns reserves in a NEAFL clash against Southport at Fankhauser Reserve on Sunday.

Although he merely eased his way back into action, Swallow was nevertheless happy to get through his first serious hitout since Round 15 of 2015 seemingly without too many problems.

“I wasn’t expecting too much,” the 23-year-old said after the Suns downed a bitterly lacklustre Southport by 13.7 (85) to 11.6 (72).

“It wasn’t my best performance but I was more than happy to get through the game well and get a bit of fitness because it has been a long time since I’ve played footy.”

Swallow played mostly on a half-back flank in between bench visits but occasionally crept into the middle for some centre bounces.

e2df29a568d37c6a98ec1e70f1f67687

David Swallow makes his return from injury in the NEAFL. Picture: David Clark

The next step on the Swallow comeback trail is to play close to a full game in the NEAFL again next weekend, then wait and see in regards to the AFL.

“I guess trying to get through a full game is the next thing, probably getting some more midfield minutes and make sure my parameters for all my high intensity running are up,” he said.

“Hopefully I’ll start to find a bit more of the footy and a bit more form.

“I’d like to try to play the last game against Port Adelaide in the ones – that’s the target.

“But it has been a long time since I’ve been able to play. If I get through next week all right I think we’ll make the call.”

df0143ec795acaa3a6860235c7c664b8

David Swallow hadn’t played since Round 15, 2015. Picture: David Clark

Swallow said he pulled up OK but still experiences some soreness in the left knee.

“There’s a little bit of soreness but that’ll probably be me for the rest of my career.” he said.

Southport were terrible for much of the clash. They appeared to lack energy and continually turned the ball over with basic skill errors.

On that form they will simply be making up the numbers in the finals, that is if they can get there as they host the Northern Territory Thunder next week.

David Swallow eyeing Round 23 AFL comeback after strong first game back in NEAFL

DAVID Swallow has set the bar high by targeting the Gold Coast Suns final round home match against Port Adelaide for his comeback to the AFL.

The star midfielder played his first game since the middle of last year for the Suns reserves in a NEAFL clash against Southport at Fankhauser Reserve on Sunday.

Although he merely eased his way back into action, Swallow was nevertheless happy to get through his first serious hitout since Round 15 of 2015 seemingly without too many problems.

“I wasn’t expecting too much,” the 23-year-old said after the Suns downed a bitterly lacklustre Southport by 13.7 (85) to 11.6 (72).

“It wasn’t my best performance but I was more than happy to get through the game well and get a bit of fitness because it has been a long time since I’ve played footy.”

Swallow played mostly on a half-back flank in between bench visits but occasionally crept into the middle for some centre bounces.

e2df29a568d37c6a98ec1e70f1f67687

David Swallow makes his return from injury in the NEAFL. Picture: David Clark

The next step on the Swallow comeback trail is to play close to a full game in the NEAFL again next weekend, then wait and see in regards to the AFL.

“I guess trying to get through a full game is the next thing, probably getting some more midfield minutes and make sure my parameters for all my high intensity running are up,” he said.

“Hopefully I’ll start to find a bit more of the footy and a bit more form.

“I’d like to try to play the last game against Port Adelaide in the ones – that’s the target.

“But it has been a long time since I’ve been able to play. If I get through next week all right I think we’ll make the call.”

df0143ec795acaa3a6860235c7c664b8

David Swallow hadn’t played since Round 15, 2015. Picture: David Clark

Swallow said he pulled up OK but still experiences some soreness in the left knee.

“There’s a little bit of soreness but that’ll probably be me for the rest of my career.” he said.

Southport were terrible for much of the clash. They appeared to lack energy and continually turned the ball over with basic skill errors.

On that form they will simply be making up the numbers in the finals, that is if they can get there as they host the Northern Territory Thunder next week.
hmmmm.....call me naive, but if i was an afl club with absolutely nothing to prove come the final round, why risk a star player. Keep him in cotton wool, big pre-season and hit the ground running in 2017.......unless of course you want to "advertise" him for best possible price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmmm.....call me naive, but if i was an afl club with absolutely nothing to prove come the final round, why risk a star player. Keep him in cotton wool, big pre-season and hit the ground running in 2017.......unless of course you want to "advertise" him for best possible price.

There'll be at least one customer willing to pay big overs. Actually make it one customer.

David is a far superior footballer to Andrew, but still more inside mid. Not really what we need, though would be a big upgrade.

Looking at the alternative, I suspect that even if we were once in the race for O'Meara, he wouldn't see us as a destination club after our last 12 weeks. Pity, as he would be perfect.

Given the difficulty we have in getting reciprocal interest from big name players - I hope we are continuing to speak to D Swallow. Despite what some posters think - Andrew Swallow wont be going anywhere so i think we need to push this brother relationship. D Swallow when fit would be our best midfielder without question. Happy to try and poach him when he is out of contract though although the price will likely go up if he has a good year. I would have a huge crack at O'meara too as long as do our due diligence with the medical

Exactly... He maybe leaving

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I just want a player who can burst a pack - if crouch has re-signed it makes me more confident for a big bodied player like swallow

David is a far superior footballer to Andrew, but still more inside mid. Not really what we need, though would be a big upgrade.

Looking at the alternative, I suspect that even if we were once in the race for O'Meara, he wouldn't see us as a destination club after our last 12 weeks. Pity, as he would be perfect.
David is a big upgrade on Andrew and I get the impression Andrew has other things outside football to pursue and wont play on beyond his current contract...think he said pretty much that when he signed it.....unite the brothers for a year, let David take over Andrew's inside mid role after that.

GOLD Coast star David Swallow has suffered another setback on the comeback trail, with the club reporting the midfielder had sustained a "suspected hamstring strain" in the NEAFL on Saturday.

Swallow, 23, hasn't played at AFL level since round 15 last year as he has battled a series of injuries, the main problem being his chronic left knee issue.

The 2014 club champion made a low-key return to the NEAFL last week at half-back and had been targeting the Suns' final-round clash with Port Adelaide at Metricon Stadium, but that now seems out of the question.

Everything was going to plan early when Swallow gathered eight possessions in the first quarter of the hard-fought clash with Aspley at Graham Road on Saturday, which the Suns won by four points.

However, he left the field soon after and failed to return.

The younger brother of North Melbourne skipper Andrew Swallow remains anchored on 79 AFL games after being the prized No.1 pick in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.

GOLD Coast star David Swallow has suffered another setback on the comeback trail, with the club reporting the midfielder had sustained a "suspected hamstring strain" in the NEAFL on Saturday.

Swallow, 23, hasn't played at AFL level since round 15 last year as he has battled a series of injuries, the main problem being his chronic left knee issue.

The 2014 club champion made a low-key return to the NEAFL last week at half-back and had been targeting the Suns' final-round clash with Port Adelaide at Metricon Stadium, but that now seems out of the question.

Everything was going to plan early when Swallow gathered eight possessions in the first quarter of the hard-fought clash with Aspley at Graham Road on Saturday, which the Suns won by four points.

However, he left the field soon after and failed to return.

The younger brother of North Melbourne skipper Andrew Swallow remains anchored on 79 AFL games after being the prized No.1 pick in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.
Saunders did the trick :stern look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back