David Swallow

Remove this Banner Ad

At the start of last season, I purchased an official Suns guernsey and put #24 on the back for my love of David Swallow. I wore this guernsey to every game that I attended, and as the guernsey was predominantly red in colour, I wore it as a team uniform for social basketball.

It was my first year of basketball. I had played nearly every game, was consistent without setting the world on fire. I hustled up and down the court, scooping up loose ball and providing assists to teammates, and on the odd occasion I'd put up a jumpshot or knock down a flukey 3. Pretty comparable to the first year for DS!

With a few games left in the season, I was 'subbed' out early and I let one of my mates borrow the guernsey for the remainder of the game. He wore the guernsey with pride, and let me know that he'd stuffed it in my letterbox after the game. I returned home to find no guernsey in the letterbox. Disaster. My mate had dropped the guernsey off in a different letterbox. And he was too stupid to remember which one.

3 months later I arrive home from uni and check the letterbox. Holy schmoly. The #24 is just sitting in the letterbox. There's a little note attached to the back of it, which reads "Hey mate, tracked your address down through a mutual friend, I believe this is yours! Koby"

These conclusions then ran through my head:

Koby has returned my #24 Swallow guernsey, which I wore for social basketball.
Me = Swallow, who had a decent first year but nothing spectacular.
Koby = Kobe Bryant, also #24, an absolute BEAST.
Therefore, Swallow will have a second year comparable to Kobe Bryant's NBA season.....or something like that.

Now that I've written this, I don't think its quite as amazing as I first thought, but still! David Swallow is in for an incredible 2012, and I have a crazy voodoo story to prove it! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Roos after Suns' young gun Swallow
Nick Smart **|**03:15am March 24, 2012

NORTH Melbourne are set to launch a poaching raid on the Gold Coast Suns with future superstar David Swallow their No.1 target.

Swallow, 19, is contracted to the end of next year but the Suns will try to lock him into a long-term deal by the season's end.

The teenager recently told the Bulletin he was happy on the Coast and open to the idea of penning a long extension with the Suns.

However, he also admitted there was a "temptation" to join his brother Andrew at the Kangaroos, the team he supported growing up. Andrew Swallow, who has just been appointed captain of North Melbourne, said he planned to get in David's ear about making the move.
"I'd love him to come -- the aim would be to get him down," Andrew said. "We'll just have to see and you never know what will happen.

"He seems pretty settled up there at the moment.

"I'm not going anywhere so it is up to him now and I'll have to start putting a bit more pressure on him."

David Swallow will have plenty of suitors at the end of next year if he holds out on signing until then.

Teammate Campbell Brown has publicly declared he will win a Brownlow Medal. He is not the only one to have made that prediction.

The Suns were rapt with Swallow's first AFL season after taking him as the No.1 draft pick in the 2010 national draft.

The midfielder reaffirmed the view he will be at least a very good player and brother Andrew shares the sentiment.

"Playing in the Gold Coast midfield as an 18-year-old in his first year, I thought he did really well," Andrew said.

"With that sort of development and the way he is going, I think he will be a really good player.

"It is always hard to tell how good he is going to be but all the signs are that he is going to have a really successful career."

The Suns youngster has done a fine job of handling the weight of expectation that has come his way.

Andrew, 24, keeps in close contact with him as he continues to develop in what is a tough environment.

"He has a really good head on his shoulders and we just chat to see how he is going," Andrew said.

"I offer him a bit of advice every now and then but I don't know if he takes any of it on.

"I talk to him about where I think he can improve.

"He got off to a pretty slow start with his pre-season but his last couple of games have been really good.

Re: 2012 Free agency meat market - Do we fast-track our finals hopes?

I also reckon you guys are going to have to accept that you will lose one or more (not huge amounts, two at most) of your gun young mids. The two most likely candidates are Caddy and Swallow.

Obviously you'll get compensation via a trade but then you'd have to ask yourselves if you want to stack up further on draft picks or go for players.

Just my view.

They arent just any 2, they are our best 2 young midfielders.

Doubt Swallow, theres no way North will be able to match what he will be offered in 2013. ;)

Re: 2012 Free agency meat market - Do we fast-track our finals hopes?

They arent just any 2, they are our best 2 young midfielders.

Doubt Swallow, theres no way North will be able to match what he will be offered in 2013. ;)

Money isn't everything. If money was everything you guys would have been able to convince some of the players you tried but couldn't get to come up. Same with GWS.

I started the year scoffing at the idea we'd get Little Spit. Now, I'm 50/50. Especially since we made Big Spitta captain.

I was actually at the press conference (because I'm a sad case) when a journo asked Andrew about it and he was absolutely adamant that he'd be personally trying to convince David to come down. My understanding is the parents are keen on the idea too.

I'm not saying it will happen. But I reckon you guys are going to get a hell of a fright the week after the Grand Final. North have never been afraid to make a big move - Leigh Colbert, Nathan Buckley as coach - and we are going to make a serious play for David. Like, picks and players on the table let's go.

On free agency, I think it is vastly overrated.

You guys would be far better trading some of your 157 million picks you still have. Or even better, trading the likes of David Swallow to North for our first and second rounders and a best 22 hardened midfielder like Levi Greenwood who is young enough to bring the young blokes through.

On trade the picks you get from us for a similar quality 22 year old midfielder from elsewhere and you'll get a heaps better outcome. They'll still be playing with O'Meara and Prestia and Bennell etc in six years, a free agent won't.

While we welcome healthy discussion about the situation of Swallow at the moment, I'll have to step in if it starts to turn into a thread like Caddy or Bennell. Something that just goes around in circles with posters getting frustrated.

Offer your own opinion if you feel like, but don't just argue for the sake of thinking that you have to prove that you're right. If you feel like more heated discussions on the topic, North have a thread dedicated to him.

In the end, no-one is right yet. So please don't act like you are. Endless speculations about him will get us no-where and cause the thread to breakdown. Once we start going in circles here, it's time to move on.

With that said, he'll be a 15 year player for the Suns. I'm right. Everyone else is wrong. :p

I'm very aware I'm on your board and I'm very aware that it is a sensitive topic.

All I'm saying is people will be very surprised at the ferocity of the North raid on Little Spitta.

And you guys will defend him like Stalingrad. As you should. Coz the kid is rolled gold diamond plated awesomeness.

About a month(maybe two?) or so ago, it was announced that young Spitta would start becoming the face of the club going forward. Seems the club noticed all of the 24 jerseys being worn. ;)

With him putting his hand up to join the leadership group, and then getting voted in, I think it was only a matter of time before we saw him on some lift-outs.

This was taken last week on Thursday. Just haven't uploaded it until now. Looking very swish. :D

Ao3biPTCEAA5LP7.jpg

brotherly-love.jpg

This is a far more worthy and interesting topic of discussion, but dareth we speak about it?!

I think Daw is more saying that they're going to have a go at Swallow at the end of this year, rather than end of 2013. During trade week of 2012.

I think he's right. And really, let's be honest, North would have to have morons leading their club if they did not have a serious, red hot crack at David.

With that said, it would be extremely difficult to land him through a trade of some sort. GC see him as the building block of their future and is already in the leadership group. I can't even begin to think of what the Suns would want to agree for such a trade. I mean, look at Caddy last year. He even wanted to go down and a deal wasn't brought about.

Fully expect David to sign a 3-5 year deal by this time next year at the latest. Nick Smart seems to think it will be done by seasons end, though I would give that a little slack probably. Seems quite settled, likes it on the Coast and has said he's open to the idea of penning an extension. His brother and parents might want him to be in Melbourne all they want, but it's his choice in the end and by all reports, he's happy here.

Always the chance of him changing his mind of course. His brother will be in his ear quite a lot, but I just can't see it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOLD Coast authorities have moved to shore up their planned drive up the AFL premiership table with a new contract offer to young gun David Swallow.

Swallow, still just 19, is already locked on a contract until the end of 2013, but Suns officials want the brilliant midfielder in their long term plans for success and locked away on a lengthy deal.

Swallow’s manager Colin Young confirmed discussions had opened with Suns list manager Scott Clayton.

Young met Clayton in Melbourne with Swallow’s extended future with the Suns on their agenda.

Swallow played 21 of Gold Coast’s 22 first season games last year collecting more than 400 possessions at an impressive average of 20 an outing.

The brilliant first-year star finished fourth in Suns fairest-and-best voting behind established stars Gary Ablett, who won the award, Nathan Bock and Michael Rischitelli.

Prospects of the emerging play-making sensation extending his stay on the Gold Coast escalated profoundly when his older brother Andrew Swallow was named North Melbourne captain this year.

It had always remained a prospect that their home state-based AFL clubs West Coast and Fremantle could mount ambitious recruiting bids to win the pair back to Western Australia as an attractive double act at the end of contracts with their current outfits.

Young disclosed that negotiations for Swallow’s possible Suns extension will be delicate, but could not define how close he is to a new deal.

“I have met with Scotty Clayton and we are discussing an extended contract for David,” Young confirmed.

“It is really difficult to actually put a time line on how these talks will go.

“I am in Melbourne for a series of discussions with all clubs on my players that are coming out of contract.

“David’s case is different because he is in contract until the end of next year.

“What I can say is that I have opened discussions with the Suns and it all could take a few weeks or months.

“There is no real hurry because David is contracted and he is extremely happy up on the Gold Coast.”

Virtually moments after the brilliant Swallow was taken as the nation’s prized first selection at the 2010 history-making draft held on the Gold Coast, he signed a third-year extension with the Suns after negotiations by his manager.

Under AFL draft regulations new players spend their first two seasons in the league on standard first and second year contracts.

Any extensions beyond the compulsory initial two-season deals are negotiated between a player’s club and his agent.

Looking good. :thumbsu: At this rate it could be done by season's end. Would still be surprised to have it done by then, but that would be good.

Looking good. :thumbsu: At this rate it could be done by season's end. Would still be surprised to have it done by then, but that would be good.

Cant see why It wouldn't be done as stated over the coming months.

5 Year deals for key marquee type players seem to be the norm, so you would think it would be something similar?

5 year 2 million dollars? He is 19 years old, im sure we could offer more? But he would then be 24-25? just getting into the prime of his career and you would think in finals contention also by the time contract talks are up again. So would probably warrant another 5 year deal perhaps in the order of 4 million by then if he performs at the level we all think he is capable of.

I think it would be super exciting to be a list manager for GC or GWS. I would imagine Gaz would then take a massive paycut after making his millions, and perhaps a modest 250-350k or something per year to keep the list together as I think he would then be 32 or 33 or so when Ablett's contract is up?

Maybe 2 options of $1mil over 3 years and $2mil over 5 to try and convince him to sign for the long haul?

I see the logic, but keep in mind his extension will come at the end of 2013, not right now. So by then he'd ideally have 60 games to his name.

David Swallow with 60 games to his name would surely command more than those numbers? Unless I'm just out of whack with how much people get paid. Maybe 1.5 mil for 3 years. So what's that... 500k a year for 3 years. I'd probably put Swallow in that bracket at the end of 2013. He'd be sneaking into it at the end of this year if he can keep improving. The numbers he was getting in his first year, in a young team, were phenomenal.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go for a 5 year deal. Seems to be the trend lately.

Deledio and Hurleys 5 year contracts is free-agency starting to have it's effect on player negotiations.

500k a year is massive cash Sunny for a 60 game player even of Swallows calibre? I guess it is still under what Davis, Ward, Scully are receiving at GWS, but they are their only premium players so can afford it.

Which other 60 game players are payed $500k+ plus per year?

I thought a contract extension would make the current obsolete? so if he was to Sign tomorrow the 3rd year of his current contract (2013) will be null and void. The new contract would then start from beginning of next year?

I honestly wouldnt have a clue though.

Also considering Hurley just signed for 5 years for around 3 million, which equates to about 600k per season. Depending on how its loaded, or any bonus KPI's in there etc.

Your suggestion of about 500k after 2013 is probably reasonable but would think around 400k is more realistic if he performs well and continues to improve, be interesting to know what all these kids sign up for to be honest over the next couple years.

I thought 2 million 5 years was alright for Swallow? Then probably double it for the next 5 years after that and give the big C

Deledio and Hurleys 5 year contracts is free-agency starting to have it's effect on player negotiations.

500k a year is massive cash Sunny for a 60 game player even of Swallows calibre? I guess it is still under what Davis, Ward, Scully are receiving at GWS, but they are their only premium players so can afford it.

Which other 60 game players are payed $500k+ plus per year?

Tippett from the Crows? ;) He was given a contract of that size at about 60 games when the Suns were after him, wasn't he? If not more?

And Swallow is our marquee player. Although you're right, it could be a bit pricey. But maybe not so in 2 years? I have no idea with contracts and such.

And I don't know, Supernova. I thought that if he signed an extension, it extends on from where his current contract finishes? :confused: But you could be right about it.

I'm very in the dark about how much players are paid. Always happy to stand corrected. ;)

The North board has a thread on how David should be going to North at the end of 2013, apparently we (CGFC) are not popular with the Roo faithfull (not sure why) and just as Essendon have a right to Caddy apparently North have the same to David.

Personally I hope and believe he will stay, it would be fantastic to see David as Captain in a few years going directly up against his brother.

Prospects of the emerging play-making sensation extending his stay on the Gold Coast escalated profoundly when his older brother Andrew Swallow was named North Melbourne captain this year.

It had always remained a prospect that their home state-based AFL clubs West Coast and Fremantle could mount ambitious recruiting bids to win the pair back to Western Australia as an attractive double act at the end of contracts with their current outfits.

Oh, please. That is just embarrassingly stupid and reeks of desperation.

Unfortunately we will always have to pay overs to keep our young guns being an interstate club and the majority off our list obviously not from QLD. Swallow is one who will be offered more than he is currently worth but the club must be careful not to pay too much. Swallow is the best of our young mids at the moment, but there is also a strong chance guys like Caddy or Prestia might just overtake him this season. So if we offer him ridiculous amounts of cash now to get a signature, we are possibly going to have to match this offers for our other young guns, putting strain on our salary cap sooner rather than later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back