David Swallow

Remove this Banner Ad

You really think Prestia and Caddy could overtake him, GCSuns? Swallow took a bit to get warmed up this pre-season, but was firing by the end of it. I could see a case for maybe Caddy getting just as good, but I think Dion has some distance to make up.

Not that that's a dig against Prestia of course! I love the meatball. :D

You really think Prestia and Caddy could overtake him, GCSuns? Swallow took a bit to get warmed up this pre-season, but was firing by the end of it. I could see a case for maybe Caddy getting just as good, but I think Dion has some distance to make up.

Not that that's a dig against Prestia of course! I love the meatball. :D
I thought exactly the same when I read that Sunny. I think Prestia is fantastic & I think Caddy is a good chance to be named All-Australian one day, but a search of the BigFooty archives shows that I also got in long before Campbell Brown with my prediction that Dave Swallow will win a Brownlow.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824595&highlight=Swallow

They are 3 potential champions & I hope to see them play many games together for the Suns.

I'm just saying footy is a funny game and just because you are a #1 pick doesn't mean you will be the best player at your club and no one else will get close. Look at our pride and joy Sir Gaz Jnr, he was pick 40 and even then the Cats were criticized by supporters for picking him up because of favoritism. All I'm saying is some guys hit a peak early in the first few years then plateau, others on the other hand may start off a bit slower but just keep improving overtaking all before them. I have no doubt Swallow will be a gun, but there are already a few flaws starting to show in his game such as disposal efficiency. This is something he will continue to work on, but doesn't mean a kid with sublime skills such as a Caddy, who hasn't had the opportunity yet to improve himself may end up being a more valuable player?

Just saying if we offer a 19/20 year old kid like Swallow $500k a year like Sunny suggested it may backfire on us. We might keep Swallow but then lose Caddy, Lynch, Smith, Prestia, etc because of the salary cap. The club just needs to be careful.

Just saying if we offer a 19/20 year old kid like Swallow $500k a year like Sunny suggested it may backfire on us. We might keep Swallow but then lose Caddy, Lynch, Smith, Prestia, etc because of the salary cap. The club just needs to be careful.

Agreed. Lucky we have professionals managing our list, rather than BigFooty posters. ;)

Good effort last night from Dave. Unfortunately, I can't remember a kick of his that hit a target besides his goal haha. I looked at the stats and he was around 50% efficiency again. Disappointing, and I hope that improves, but still an alright start to the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns roll the dice with midfield gun.

ALL-EYES-ON-SWALLOW.jpg

THE depleted Gold Coast Suns are set to roll the dice by playing midfield gun David Swallow against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium today.

With skipper Gary Ablett out and Michael Rischitelli yesterday confirmed to miss up to three weeks with an ankle injury, all eyes were on Swallow at the final training session before the team jumped on the plane to Melbourne.

Swallow -- who is battling a hip injury -- got through the session well but never really tested himself at full pace.

But he has told the club he is right to play against a Kangaroos side that contains his older brother and club captain Andrew.

Maverick Weller has come in for Rischitelli while Aaron Hall is on standby and will play if Swallow fails to get up.

Coach Guy McKenna said he would not risk Swallow if there is any doubt in his mind.

watching D-Swallow (Junior)....Kid needs a break.

Big fan of juniors...kid needs a break.

Played most games last years in the middle...not like Heppal or one of these other "future stars" who got to swan about off centre half back. Swallow plays in the middle every week.

his body looks like it is breaking down, soft tissue, knocks, and bumps.

Should probably be given a rest-Its just good player management. he clearly hasn't been right the last couple of weeks, the ankle, his hip, corks....

Geez, I think he's only missed a few in his first couple of years.

Needs a break, thoughts?

Re: watching D-Swallow (Junior)....Kid needs a break.

Yep, agree. I believe it's important not to overrun young players, even for a player of Dave's toughness.

Give him 3 weeks off. Get him fully right to play at 100%, there's no need to rush.

Has copped a few knocks lately, yep. Won't play against the Dogs this week.

Apparently he was FORCED off during the GWS match. Shows his toughness and appetite. :D

Not sure about a 3 week break, especially with the bye not soon after that, but yeah. Definitely deserves at least the one to get his body right.

Unbelievable how much we're missing this guy.

I just watched a few of the close games we've had this year, and except for the second North game, Swallow was instrumental in getting us so close. His read of the play, ability to peel off and find space and his grunt work in getting it out to our outside runners is just something we cannot reproduce nearly as well without him there.

Cannot wait for his return!

Swallow in for the long haul.
DAVID Swallow has dismissed speculation of a possible move back to Western Australia, with the 20-year-old telling reporters he plans on building a successful AFL career on the Gold Coast.

“I was obviously home for the week but my sights are set for a big future on the Gold Coast,” said Swallow.

Interesting comparing Swallow's third year to Cotchin's third year.

They had virtually identical stats. Disposals, tackles, goals, marks were all the same.

Cotchin's fouth year there is a bit of a leap. I wonder if that will happen not only with Swallow, but most of our mids?

Interesting comparing Swallow's third year to Cotchin's third year.

They had virtually identical stats. Disposals, tackles, goals, marks were all the same.

Cotchin's fouth year there is a bit of a leap. I wonder if that will happen not only with Swallow, but most of our mids?
4th year for me since day one has always been the year where I think most of our players take individual leaps.

By then most of our kids have had multiple pre seasons and at least 30-50 games.

Would also like to see our forwards take that big step. I think that is the difference between top 10 and top 6 for us next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swallow stands out for second week running.
“I thought the boys were terrific most of the game,” Swallow said.

“We talked about bringing effort before the game and that consistency.

“We tried to play one-on-one across the field and I think we managed to do that most of the night.

“Probably that last quarter, Fremantle’s experience maybe just got on top of us a little bit.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back