David Teague appointed Carlton coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the coaches around, none. Does that mean Teague is going to? Nope. Let's see if he can actually handle a preseason before declaring him the greatest coach of all time.
No one is. But Carlton have a pretty decent win loss ratio under him don’t they? I mean the way Carlton has played under him suggests they were being rather stifled by Bolton. I know for a fact that the players love him and that they’re responding to him.

In terms of experience who else has a better record? As a senior assistant he is very experienced and regarded. For some reason you seem to have this opinion that you think is fact and that Carlton won’t be playing finals next year.

Brisbane?

Because making finals is what makes a coach good I suppose. If your not hiring a coach that is capable of bringing you to the finals, you're wasting your time.
So you're saying he's a bad appointment coz he won't take them to finals next year but you don't believe any coach would?

Teague has an interesting history.

Assistant at West Coast (2011, 2012, 2013). West Coast finished 4th, 5th and 13th
St Kilda for one season in 2014 (they finished 18th)
Adelaide 2015, 16 and 17. They finished 7th, 5th and 2nd. (some pretty brutal circumstances)
Carlton 2018, 2019. They finished 18th and prob 16th.

I don't think Teague has seen the inside of a successful footy club from a coaching perspective. Even as a player he was part of bog average sides.

Reminds me a lot of the Alan Richardson appointment at St Kilda in that he's done his coaching apprenticeship at a number of clubs, but hasn't been part of one of those club cultures where he has lived success and can bring it to the club. Especially as he was there for the last two seasons as a part of the coaching group.

Furthermore, if you look at the last 10 or so successful coaches:

2018 - Simpson - assistant coached at Hawthorn in premierships. Played in them at North
2017 - Hardwick - assistnt coached at Hawthorn for a permiership. Played in them at Essendon and Port
2016 - Bulldogs - assistant coached at Hawhthorn for premierships.
2013-2015 - Hawks - Clarkson, coached SANFL flags, was part of Port premiership coaching panel before Hawthorn
2012 - Longmire - premierships as a player. Was assistant to Roos for a flag before winning this one.
2011 - Chris Scott - premierships as a player.
2010 - Malthouse - premierships as a coach at West Coast. Richmond premiership player
2009 - Thompson - premierships as a player.
2008 - Clarkson - as above
2007 - Thompson - as above
2006 - Roos - only one on the list that hadn't seen ANY success prior to coaching
2005 - Worsfold - Premierships as a player
2002 - 2004 - Matthews - premierships as a player and a coach
2000 - 2001 - Sheedy - premiership as a player.

So there it is - only one example of a coach that went from not seeing any success to taking a club to a flag (Roos).
We have more assistant coaches these days - so more opportunity to see success. I'm sure if I went back any further there would be more examples because it was basically a head coach and that's it.

Teague could end up an excellent and potentially premiership winning coach. I am hoping he maximises the potential he has at his disposal.

But it’s the manner in which he was appointed which is a concern. He was up against one shortlisted candidate who had one formal interview. And appointed just weeks after a board member told the general public they didn’t want a coach with training wheels. Chris was no doubt towing the line from those higher up.

I was really hoping Liddle didn’t kowtow to Jeanne and Bruce like Chris and the President do, and follow due process on this one after the club has made several coaching blunders, but it appears he has bowed to the will of supporters, club legends and most importantly Mrs Pratt and Mr Matheson. Self preservation is a natural trait.

Who knows, they could have applied due process and ended up with the same result.

Another win for the Teague Express.

Nuffies against his appointment lose credibility by the week..

A lot of our lesser lights stood out against the Saints, which is a sign of good coaching/player management.

Very happy and content Blues member and fan here.

“It’s a juggernaut waiting to happen,” Essendon great Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW.

“Like Richmond … they’ll come from everywhere to watch this team.”

Lordo please.

This call is just as bad when you declared that the Pies have the best midfield ever yes Carlton looking good but you are going early.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“It’s a juggernaut waiting to happen,” Essendon great Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW.

“Like Richmond … they’ll come from everywhere to watch this team.”

Lordo please.

This call is just as bad when you declared that the Pies have the best midfield ever yes Carlton looking but you are going early.
Guy won't hope off our nuts since we hired his brother

Decision massively driven by supporter hysteria and pressure. Smart move by Blues brains trust. If it fails supporters can’t blame the club as it would be hypocritical in the highest order. The supporters should have let it taken its due course quietly and patiently.

Signs are already showing the club may have in fact jumped the gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back