David Teague appointed Carlton coach

Remove this Banner Ad

No n00b. If St Kilda appoint someone else it may help them climb out of the bottom 6.

Carlton and North are nailed on bottom 6.

Capeche?

Until Carlton can prove to beat higher placed teams on the ladder on a semi regular basis, I have no fault in penciling in for a bottom 6 finish next season.

Still think we have a bigger upside than the Saints and probably neck to neck with North arm. But time will tell, it always does

Until Carlton can prove to beat higher placed teams on the ladder on a semi regular basis, I have no fault in penciling in for a bottom 6 finish next season.

Still think we have a bigger upside than the Saints and probably neck to neck with North arm. But time will tell, it always does
I think your list is better than both those clubs. Of the three I think yours would be most disappointed with a bottom 6 finish next year.

I heard it was only a job in football - but I may be wrong

Don't want to take this off topic because I loved Teaguey as a player and reckon Carlton have made the right call - I was hoping they'd overlook him and we could get him as a senior assistant - but I strongly suspect that if Brad doesn't get a gig coaching the AFL will find him a role of sorts, he's an AFL Mafia Made Man.

Say they pay him $400,00k, that means only $400 comes off our soft cap etc.

Coterie no likey.

More Harvs n Solly assisting Cara. Lloydy GM of Footy.

But just wait for Brad to come in with his forked tongue.

"Oh, look what I did at POOR OLD NORTH with NO RESOURCES and a MEDIOCRE LIST, I got them winning finals through my own brilliance. Now, if I were at MIGHTY ESSENDON with ALL YOUR MONEY AND RESOURCES and and the GREAT LIST THAT ADRIAN HAS BUILT oh yes I can deliver you a premiership in two season, top four next season, I will make DAVID MYERS into BEN CUNNINGTON and JAYDEN LAVERDE will become SHAUN HIGGINS oh yes mighty Bombers you are so great and so powerful, I will lead you to the PROMISED LAND".

They will lap up his schtick.

Getting a gig at Essendon is like getting a gig with Donald Trump - just suspend reality, and drink the kool aid and tell them everything is great and cash in for a few years before it inevitably all goes **** up and they turn on you.

He might be the right choice, but they needed him to coach out the last two games then go through a process to get the role.

The process being him competing against other coaches trying to get the position and see what ideas they bring.

This is a reflection on the board being lazy.

There would be a number of things at play here. I suspect Clarko ruled himself out. Voss didn’t interview well. Teague has passed the best test there is and no other obvious candidates are available. The word is, not having appointed a coach has been an issue in the recruiting team’s pursuit of certain players, so with this in mind, extending the process out into the offseason, just for processes’ sake, might have been counterproductive.

There would be a number of things at play here. I suspect Clarko ruled himself out. Voss didn’t interview well. Teague has passed the best test there is and no other obvious candidates are available. The word is, not having appointed a coach has been an issue in the recruiting team’s pursuit of certain players, so with this in mind, extending the process out into the offseason, just for processes’ sake, might have been counterproductive.

Again good luck to Carlton I hope this works out but my belief is:-

There is no "just for processes sake" here. You do this after the last game (the week after even). This is the person that will control the success of your team over the next X years. It actually cheapens the role by taking a short cut like this.

This is like extending a coaches contract at the start of the year you just should not do it.

Heard that Carlton had some sort of function recently and when Teague came into the room got a standing ovation from the crowd. That’s not how you pick a coach!

Did the blues conduct an extensive process and sound out other assistants such as Sam Mitchell or Blake Caracella before he got the gig at the Bombers or ........ Heard nothing else other than Clarko was sounded out and it was only between Voss and Teague.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again good luck to Carlton I hope this works out but my belief is:-

There is no "just for processes sake" here. You do this after the last game (the week after even). This is the person that will control the success of your team over the next X years. It actually cheapens the role by taking a short cut like this.

This is like extending a coaches contract at the start of the year you just should not do it.

Carlton weren’t starting off with PowerPoint presentations and “ideas”; they were starting with experience and runs on the board. It’s not exactly a wide field and reports had Carlton reaching out to the most obvious candidates.

The only other viable candidate I think the board should have looked at was Ratten, but they’d have to wait until the end of the season to interview him and he’ll likely be signed by then anyway.

While you may not agree with the board’s decision making process, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve being lazy.

"LoL CaRlToN dIdNt EvEn CaLl RaTtEn!?"

Seriously, I think we overestimate how many applicants there are for coaching gigs. Apparently we advertised the s**t out of the last coaching job and were happy to speak to anyone, and only two people applied in Bolton and someone else - Dew didn't even want to talk about it. We ran a thorough process and it turned out wrong anyway.

Anyway how are we supposed to interview Ratten? He's working as a head coach at the moment, as if he's going to have time to knick off an prepare for an exhausting interview process.

Even taking this years results as a caretaker out of the picture Teague is a high quality assistant with 12 years experience, and high quality person from all reports. Recent history says that picking quality assistants who are good man managers generally make the cut - Simpson, Hardwick, Beveridge, Buckley etc.

I think Teague saved the club from themselves because no doubt the board would have gone full chequebook messiah style and ****ed it up. Teague essentially picked himself.

Good stuff, with our list coming of age, hopefully some recruits, an easy 2020 draw and a fresh coach with new ideas there's no reason why we can't have a big jump up the ladder next year.

good on him ! but time will tell if its a sound appointment way different having the responsibility of the full gig and the expectation that goes for it

yes he had done well but that's fine when all you do is let them off the chain. hard gig the blues for an experienced coach but who knows maybe he is the man ! like to think he will be

He's done well and it looks like he will be good for them, but was there any danger in waiting a couple more weeks and interviewing some other candidates just to be safe? I don't think he was going anywhere.
Who would you have interviewed?

Ratten is busy and is all in for the St Kilda Job
We interviewed Voss
Scott is a flog
Clarko said no
Caracella seemed like a good candidate but clubs don't seem in a rush to sign him - find it odd he signed another assistant role when there's so many coaching jobs available; maybe he doesn't want to be a coach?

Who else? Nobody seemed to be banging the door down to get the job.

Caracella seemed like a good candidate but clubs don't seem in a rush to sign him - find it odd he signed another assistant role when there's so many coaching jobs available; maybe he doesn't want to be a coach?
I get the feeling his heart is set on Essendon, and they'll make him head coach either next year or the year after depending on how soon they want to get rid of Worsfold.

Who would you have interviewed?

Ratten is busy and is all in for the St Kilda Job
We interviewed Voss
Scott is a flog
Clarko said no

Who else? Nobody seemed to be banging the door down to get the job.
I don't know who the candidates are and don't need to, all I'm saying was I don't think it would have hurt to wait until seasons end, get more data from his performance, interview a few more candidates as more become available for interviews and express interest, and then make a decision by October which still gives the new coach plenty of time.

Supporters were impatient because they wanted Teague because they barely saw a win in years before him. That pressure seemed to speed up the process.

Time will tell if it's the right call, Teague won't be bad, but maybe there was a better structure or candidate. Either way I don't think he was going anywhere, if he wanted the job he's still wanting it and happy to go through the competitive selection in a few weeks from pole position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back