News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague took great initiative tagging Neale out of the game with Curnow, Ed curnow should be on tagging duties from the start of the siren to the end of the game week in week out though, its his natural role, anyone else agree and think Teague will realise this?
Agree if we had of tagged more often with Ed it wouldn’t of exposed our mids as much and playing a loose behind all the time creating a minus one at stoppages on TOP of that killed us— when he didn’t tag O’Meara after half time when he was the only hawk looked damaging to get them back in the game he lost me

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve been reflecting a lot on Teague. I guess I shouldn’t read too much into a small sample.....however I’m a strong advocate for the concept of ‘thin slicing’: theory is that if you know what to look for you can find out much of what you need to know with limited observations.

In this case here are a few things that I wasn’t ready for, and have really struck me as incredibly positive signs for him:

- he changed a BIT, not a LOT. What did I gain from that? He didn’t need to make a large impression for the sake of it. His ego didn’t dominate his logic. Really important qualities.
- the changes he made were GOOD. Walsh into the middle (finally!). Kept a forward deep. Switched Ed to hard tag when needed. Played more runners through the middle.
-his message was simple to the players. Not a lot of messages. Just one: play to your strengths. No doubt he asked the coaches to talk one on one briefly with each player during the week and asked them to identify their strengths. And play to them. And they did.
- press conference was inspiringly smart, simple, self effacing. I was blown away. He really carried himself well.

It strikes me that as a coach he’d have enormous player cred. There’s never been a gutsier player. I’m sure they’ve looked him up.

He’s very calm. Clearly very calm.

I’m going to make a Walsh like call here:

He will coach our next flag.

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague took great initiative tagging Neale out of the game with Curnow, Ed curnow should be on tagging duties from the start of the siren to the end of the game week in week out though, its his natural role, anyone else agree and think Teague will realise this?
Especially when we are much younger and less experienced through the middle every week. An experienced big body limiting our opponents best mid, together with Cripps and a super impressive Walsh really helps to swing the pendulum our way. I hope to see more of it. Ed was a big factor in us gaining momentum.

Ninja Worrier

All Australian
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
judd wasn't effusive in his praise 'david knows he has a lot to learn before he's ready to be senior coach'
I’ve been reflecting a lot on Teague. I guess I shouldn’t read too much into a small sample.....however I’m a strong advocate for the concept of ‘thin slicing’: theory is that if you know what to look for you can find out much of what you need to know with limited observations.

In this case here are a few things that I wasn’t ready for, and have really struck me as incredibly positive signs for him:

- he changed a BIT, not a LOT. What did I gain from that? He didn’t need to make a large impression for the sake of it. His ego didn’t dominate his logic. Really important qualities.
- the changes he made were GOOD. Walsh into the middle (finally!). Kept a forward deep. Switched Ed to hard tag when needed. Played more runners through the middle.
-his message was simple to the players. Not a lot of messages. Just one: play to your strengths. No doubt he asked the coaches to talk one on one briefly with each player during the week and asked them to identify their strengths. And play to them. And they did.
- press conference was inspiringly smart, simple, self effacing. I was blown away. He really carried himself well.

It strikes me that as a coach he’d have enormous player cred. There’s never been a gutsier player. I’m sure they’ve looked him up.

Well sliced except the last bit...not sure the attributes you picked out will be identified and/or as highly valued as they should be.

In other words we'll get who Mathieson wants

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Well sliced except the last bit...not sure the attributes you picked out will be identified and/or as highly valued as they should be.

In other words we'll get who Mathieson wants
I reckon the Mathieson thing is blown out of proportion, I think he has calmed down since MLG came on board. He was the first to defend Bolton when some heat came on, and has been quiet since - also we are not broke anymore so Mathieson is, and will continue to be less and less relied upon as we continue to be profitable. Judd is a smart guy and he wouldn't be staying on for the long haul whilst being dictated by Mathieson. I wouldn't be listening to opposition fan rumours or a bitter Mick ******* Malthouse.

Teaguey presents well, really well. If we are sounding out Roos for a coaching management type role then I dare say we are more than open to having an untried coach. Teague would almost start as favourite given the current situation. If he can pinch 4 more wins I'd almost be sold.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't see the problem with an untried senior coach. 15 of the 17 rival coaches were appointed to their first senior coaching gig and the two experienced guys are worsfold and lyon who aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

sample size is small but loved what i've seen from teague so far. would much rather the club stick with him than go after brad scott whom i think is an average coach (not a bad one, but nothing special).

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Very nice start for Teague, obviously a long way to go yet.

Defensively there was a lot more of a forward press, it was executed well in the last half and created a lot of scoring opportunities for our forwards. As we saw when the lions got past the press they have an open field and can get the ball into their own forward line quickly but overall it worked beautifully. Bolton had more of a zone around HF to wing, a lot of guarding grass and it was easier for the opposition to get the ball out of our forward line but harder for the opposition going into their own forward line. Keep it up Teaguey.

We used handball really well when we had possession, extra numbers around the packs helped a lot but the players were really keen to dish it off and open the game up. We were able to open up the corridor more than usual as a result. Another thing I hope we keep doing.

Lochie O'Brien grew a beard and played like the man, where the * is Starchamber?!?!

Great chance for Teague this week to use the same aggressive style and really expose the second lowest tackling team in the league. Ed will shut down one of their main ball winners and with the shackles off our mids are good enough to take control of this game.

How good is it to be able to enjoy the footy again!

Last edited:

Td1994

Debutant
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
The most important thing i realised during david teagues press conference was when asked have you looked at the tapes of the WB considering you played them 8 weeks ago and he turned around and said we've been concentrating on us and how we play and that's our number 1 priority.

The was Boltons whole issue, never had a game plan, just based his on limiting other teams rather than how we as a club play our game.

Good early signs for teague.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton

Walsh into the middle? For the first quarter only. We started to win when Walsh went back out onto the wing

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Regardless of whether he retains the job, Teaguey is going to be spectacular for this group.

The thing that struck me last night is that he put the onus on the players to find a way. Any moves were subtle and he allowed the boys to
work out how to become men. The dynasties at Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney have been borne out of the players' ability to dig deep and
rely on each other to get the job done. Teague is giving them the freedom to discover themselves.

Make no mistake, Bolton was great for the club. The right man at the right time to instill some values and gel the group. However teachers have their strengths and are suited to different stages of a child's development. Similarly with the coaches. Interim or next up Teaguey is the right man for now.

Loving the Teague.
Loving the way the boys are playing.
Just a thrilling spectacle when it runs. Not bad for second week with new coach.
Let's see how things run after the bye. Wonder what Teaguey will do when Liam J. is ready to come back in eh? Not too shabby a job re instating Charlie as supreme up forward. Bonus points from me.
Now to sort out Harry.

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Bye has come at a good time. So much reflection required on what we need to get out of the remainders the year.

I’d like to see De Koning and Owies to get a few games and intrigued to see how we deal with Jones coming back given Casboults form. Do Fisher and Dow get a spell in the twos?

Do Murphy, Simpson and Thomas retire?

Does Docherty play?

If Teague doesn’t get the senior job, does he stay?

Jan 16, 2019
Kgari Coast Qld.
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless of whether he retains the job, Teaguey is going to be spectacular for this group.

The thing that struck me last night is that he put the onus on the players to find a way. Any moves were subtle and he allowed the boys to
work out how to become men. The dynasties at Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney have been borne out of the players' ability to dig deep and
rely on each other to get the job done. Teague is giving them the freedom to discover themselves.

Make no mistake, Bolton was great for the club. The right man at the right time to instill some values and gel the group. However teachers have their strengths and are suited to different stages of a child's development. Similarly with the coaches. Interim or next up Teaguey is the right man for now.
Teague appears to have at least half the assets required. He's very good at extracting the best efforts and self confidence from the players but not sure yet if he has the tactical experience. With the right assistants could be the way to go.

Teague appears to have at least half the assets required. He's very good at extracting the best efforts and self confidence from the players but not sure yet if he has the tactical experience. With the right assistants could be the way to go.
If we could get Roos as a director of coaching then i'd be happy for Teague to stay on.. Looks pretty clear the boys enjoy playing for him.

CFC18

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague may not be a household name, but I reckon there would be plenty of players quietly enticed by the idea of a coach letting them play to their strengths, especially if they feel somewhat stifled at their current club. Teague projects as someone that players will want to play for. In fact that's already been the case with Gov.

What about attracting quality assistants? I'd be attracted to joining a team where I might be given a fair bit of empty canvas to play with.

No doubt a risk, but something about Teague just instills confidence and projects as creating something different, while the more experienced Scott or Lyons aren't likely to bring anything we haven't seen before.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Tough one with the Doggie's midfield though - they've got quite a few genuine ball winners in their engine room. Who does Ed start on out of Macrae, Bont, Dunkley, Libba? Don't mind a wait and see approach - let the frontline mids go head to head initially, and if someone's opponent is getting off the chain then lock them down with Curnow.

Problem wasn't with the lack of a tag at the start, it was Kreuzer's inability to provide first possession to our midfielders. English has some real ability, but he's a young kid who MK should have been able to work over from the opening bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back