News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teague may not be a household name, but I reckon there would be plenty of players quietly enticed by the idea of a coach letting them play to their strengths, especially if they feel somewhat stifled at their current club. Teague projects as someone that players will want to play for. In fact that's already been the case with Gov.

What about attracting quality assistants? I'd be attracted to joining a team where I might be given a fair bit of empty canvas to play with.

No doubt a risk, but something about Teague just instills confidence and projects as creating something different, while the more experienced Scott or Lyons aren't likely to bring anything we haven't seen before.

Question is whether that approach has a ceiling on it, somewhere below "Premiership". Maybe it works when you're running a dynamic forward line, but does a more cavalier approach to the game stand up in September? Isn't that what (theoretically) Ratten struggled with when he was at the helm? Love Teague as a breath of fresh air, think his ideas have merit, just not sure it's a philosophy that wins flags for a club.

After seeing that so called captain of Hawforn pinching and stomping, you can put a line through Clarkson as far as I am concerned. This moron has been doing this for years and obviously has Clarkson's blessing (why is that not surprising).
There is no coach out there that really jumps out. Not a fan of Scott, and the rest like Longmire & Lyon are all the same. Defence, Defence and more Defence. Hinkley has had a fair crack at PP, and he has not been able to get them up.
What would it hurt to give Teague a one year contract to prove himself. If it all goes to crap, then we go looking next year.
St.Kilda is waiting for Richardson to fail, and Scott will probably take over.

There is a certain calmness pervading the post match press conference. It’s unsettling.

Teague provides a cleaner more transparent and more precise description of what happened in the game - we lost the contested ball battle for too long too often. He ticked defensive effort and forward effort and highlighted Carlton's relative weakness exploited by doggies - in a matter of fact no skirting the issue and no gilding the lily manner. This delivery from a new face after an 'honourable' loss makes for easy digestion.

Take away: Just one more developed on baller - please - two would be awesome.

I liked Bolton and I like Teague- he is continuing the journey theme in his own way and giving the Club every opportunity to assess the value of each and every player over the second half of the year - with probably a less biased hand in control of the tiller. Cripps last week and Charlie this week showed everyone that the salary bets placed on these two were probably on the money - good timing from Charlie - if anyone was in doubt. Another reminder though that Cripps can't do it all himself on ball - every week.

To be fair we have shown same form at times in games when Bolton was coaching, good for parts, poor in other parts.

Think the sacking of a coach also reminds the group that they need to bring greater effort, focus, attention to detail etc which may help grab a few wins hopefully.

Hopefully those inept floggings are well behind us now but will be interesting to see what happens if we concede a big lead later in the season against ruthless opposition.

I think Teague has done his chances no harm. He was out-coached in the first quarter of the dogs game but then things changed.
Don't underestimate the fact that he has been able to get the crowds roaring again, a fact that Liddle acknowledged today.
A strong finish to the season and anything is possible.
Just my own crazy thoughts, but I think that if either Kennedy, Setterfield or Silvagni can take it to another level in the midfield, then Teague might just get enough runs on the board to score the job.
I would much rather Teague than some of the defensive coaches that have been mentioned.
Regardless of what happens re the senior coaching decision, I hope that Teague stays involved with our young and talented list.

What odds for Teague to be given the job as our senior coach?
We have a tough run home. I see two gettable wins and the rest always a sneaky chance with our best endeavour.
Impossible to call yet. Mainly reading Juddy's Footy Class. Comments and the need for selection committee to satisfy old Carlton moneyed types, corporates and lastly supporters.
Not an easy job for them. Hopefully a huge groundswell of support for Teague if we win a few would smooth the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely none. There's a very big difference between Rhys Shaw and David Teague. Shaw openly stated from the word go he craves to be a senior coach and outlined his philosophies and goals, whereas Teague was very wishy-washy when asked about his ambitions. Maybe he just doesn't feel he's ready.

FWIW I still think there are some issues surrounding the culture within the playing group and Teague is very aware of potentially damaging his brand. Barker supposedly refused the caretaker role this time around.......and that in itself is also probably telling. I suspect both men lack trust in the playing group to give effort when and as required. JMO.

That is the most encouraging thing IMO. The ability to try things that changes the momentum of the game is invaluable- it means that in most games we are never out of it.
I would go as far as to say that he is not only a crucial part of this side going forward but any prospective senior coach would be crazy to get rid of him.

Absolutely none. There's a very big difference between Rhys Shaw and David Teague. Shaw openly stated from the word go he craves to be a senior coach and outlined his philosophies and goals, whereas Teague was very wishy-washy when asked about his ambitions. Maybe he just doesn't feel he's ready.

FWIW I still think there are some issues surrounding the culture within the playing group and Teague is very aware of potentially damaging his brand. Barker supposedly refused the caretaker role this time around.......and that in itself is also probably telling. I suspect both men lack trust in the playing group to give effort when and as required. JMO.
I think thats not correct at all. Barker was not offered the role. And rightly so.
On the wishy washy comment I say its the difference between selfish and selfless. Teague is aspiring yet patient and down to earth, honest, and puts the team first. He is very very astute if one reads between the lines.

After seeing that so called captain of Hawforn pinching and stomping, you can put a line through Clarkson as far as I am concerned. This moron has been doing this for years and obviously has Clarkson's blessing (why is that not surprising).
There is no coach out there that really jumps out. Not a fan of Scott, and the rest like Longmire & Lyon are all the same. Defence, Defence and more Defence. Hinkley has had a fair crack at PP, and he has not been able to get them up.
What would it hurt to give Teague a one year contract to prove himself. If it all goes to crap, then we go looking next year.
St.Kilda is waiting for Richardson to fail, and Scott will probably take over.

This is a silly post. I am all for appointing Teague (depending on performance) - but you can't give him a 12 month contract. You do a thorough search, find the best person and give them two years. "If it all goes to crap, then we go looking next year" - in which case we destroy the confidence of our youth and probably have key youngesters looking to move clubs. No - we do it properly and get it right.

As for Clarkson, who cares about his tactics. The purpose of the game is to win at all costs.

Barker was never offered the job. In fact he has already been told he won't be around next year.

Teague was very willing to take the role. He is an introvert. He backs himself - he just doesn't shout it from the roof tops.

Barker was never offered the job. In fact he has already been told he won't be around next year.

Teague was very willing to take the role. He is an introvert. He backs himself - he just doesn't shout it from the roof tops.
I would say not a loudmouth know all is more accurate than introverted. And thats bloody fantastic.

If he can get us off the bottom, say 3/4 wins, then he is in with a chance.
The advantage is that he knows the players, structures and requirements.
Bring in someone else, and you have a complete overhaul, new coaches, new philosophy, new methods.
This is no guarantee of success.

Notwithstanding that it's been years since we strung two wins together in a row, I reckon there's a chance that we can go a 3peat before the end of this season.... Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast. Teague will need something like that PLUS not getting flogged by any other side through the end of the year to be in with any sort of chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back