gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
He's got us scoring and competing which is good. Questions though, we've lost to some bottom teams like The Bulldogs and now Melbourne and only just beat Freo who are going terrible right now and we keep finding ourselves 5 or so goals down in games and getting smashed early.

I like a lot of what we are doing under Teague but how we go against better sides and this getting smashed early business needs to be seen to be rectified if he's to be a genuine contender I feel. I think to get the job Teague probably needs to eradicate that from our game and needs to prove we can compete against the better sides, no smashings.

Losing to bottom teams isn't helping his chances but we ourselves are a bottom side. Definitely has to prove himself against the better sides and fix this getting blown away early problem. Needs to beat a few more bottom sides I feel too, this Sydney game this week is crucial, wouldn't want to lose it if he's a chance of getting the job.

I don't expect any coach to hit the nail on the head straight away and get things right from the get go but I do expect them to have a solution and solve these sort of issues.

Crucial times to come and this week I feel is super supre important to Teagues chances. A loss or a poor performance, it would be hard to see him getting it after that.

I'd love to see him get really tough at selection and inspire some hardness and effort in the team. I just feel there a bit of complacency from some of our more talented players.

If he resolves all these issues then to be honest it would be hard not seeing him get the job. Real make or break stuff IMO.

Wtf?
Excuse me, I watched interstellar last nite and perhaps I am now in an alternate multiverse.
I think we broke Freo but they were a top team.
Doggies playing really well so hardly a bottom team.
We lost by an errant kick or a goal that may well have been a point yesterday. This, after an amazing comeback
So- ?
Just a few minor players out, no biggie. :p

Last edited:

Benaly28

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Teaguea body of work:

4 games;2 wins,2 loses

Avg score 89pts
Scored 100 pts twice
2 loses by 3 and 5 pts both from 5 goals down.
Has found different players up front to score ie Kennedy/Setterfield.

And best of all dosent talk in riddles in press conferences and you wouldn’t know if we’ve won or lost cool as a cucumber.Hiwever in saying all this don’t think he’ll get the job.

Wily trout

All Australian
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he's doing a brilliant job, remember how awful we have been for a large chunk of the season.
Win against Lions 5th
Narrow loss to Doggies (who just beat the benchmark team)
Come from behind win against Dockers 8th and away
Narrow loss when playing like crap to Dees, who simply had to win, and we were missing at least three of our top 5 players.
Although he does need to fix our first 1/4s, as well as getting more from certain players, there is a bucket load to like about what Teague brings to the table.
Still more to play out for the remainder of the season, but if he was to get 3-4 more wins, I would be more than happy to see him get a two year contract, with support from a mentor.

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Teaguea body of work:

4 games;2 wins,2 loses

Avg score 89pts
Scored 100 pts twice

And best of all dosent talk in riddles in press conferences and you wouldn’t know if we’ve won or lost cool as a cucumber.Hiwever in saying all this don’t think he’ll get the job.

Should remain as an assistant. Has been able to get the forward line functional.

Teaguea body of work:

4 games;2 wins,2 loses

Avg score 89pts
Scored 100 pts twice

Unfortunately, It seems you may be right.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I think we need a bigger sample size when it comes to Teague. Lets see how things are come the end of the season and see where we are at. There are some boxes to tick and if he ticks them should be a prime candidate.

A few problems have presented themselves like getting blown away early and we are carrying a few passengers and kids who need a kick up the arse. Teague has proven to be a good in game problem solver but the opportunity to be a whole game problem solver has presented itself. Fix this getting blown away early problem we have. Prove you're willing to do the hard things and take a tough stance even when it involves high rated early draft picks and big recruits and drop players and put pressure on players underperforming. It's all well and good to be liked as a coach and it's easy to drop fringe players but that's not what it's about. I think if he does all this then he's a real genuine contender.

We've gone well against some bottom sides and some out of form sides. But we have games against Adelaide, Richmond, West Coast and Geelong coming up and we need to do well there.

I still reckon the best coaches are the ones who are willing to listen and use their assistants and have good assistants and that a lot of failed coaches and older coaches tend to lose this or not do this. So this is probably his strength.

I think in game he's made some great moves. But keeping really poorly performing players in the side too long and we kind of have isn't good and the few young players and McGovern not putting in needs addressing so he needs to demonstrate a toughness and there is the obvious one where we are starting poorly.

Challenges are opportunities I feel and if he can meet these challenges then that's great, will make him a genuine contender.

IMO, Judd's gone early. "...but that's not really the same as being an actual senior coach of a football team with the pressure that comes with that."

True, but I couldn't ask for a cooler head in the coach's box than what we're getting right now. Also, even aside from the whole Adelaide stabby-stabby thing, I'm guessing the pressure of losing a child might be a tad worse than being a senior coach.

Is Teague the new Gieschen, or the new Roos, that's the question. I'm very close to backing Teague for the job. If he can conjure wins or even tight losses with the compromised side we're putting on the park, he's got something worth keeping.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Teaguea body of work:

4 games;2 wins,2 loses

Avg score 89pts
Scored 100 pts twice

Not to mention, without Cripps for two of those games and without Charlie and Harry for the last couple as well. Not easy covering the gaps left by those guys, but Teague has found a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Teague might tick the tactician part off alright and I think he has but we need more than just a good tactician. That might make you a good assistant coach and a good head coach with the right team but we need a coach who can harden our players up. We play soft and that has a bit to do with our age but if we are to come out of that and develop some toughness, competitiveness and resilience we need a coach who can bring that out.

We have some player in the team who are playing soft and who aren't putting in IMO and they are playing poor to mediocre footy. I think how Teague handles that will be interesting. I want to see teague get more out of guys like this and I want to see him drop players regardless of their draft selection or pay cheque or whether we traded heavily for them.

His tactics and his moves have been good but his team selections don't reflect a coach driving high standards hard footy just yet.

IMO if Clarkson was coaching guys like McGovern and Dow would be in the 2s and Fisher and SPS would be on notice.

We need that hard arse coach who will drive a non-negotiable way of playing and this is one area where Teague needs to prove himself and it's probably why we are looking for a seasoned coach.

Crucial period in the development of the young players that we develop them this way from here on because this is one area we failed in with our last rebuild.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Teague might tick the tactician part off alright and I think he has but we need more than just a good tactician. That might make you a good assistant coach and a good head coach with the right team but we need a coach who can harden our players up. We play soft and that has a bit to do with our age but if we are to come out of that and develop some toughness, competitiveness and resilience we need a coach who can bring that out.

We have some player in the team who are playing soft and who aren't putting in IMO and they are playing poor to mediocre footy. I think how Teague handles that will be interesting. I want to see teague get more out of guys like this and I want to see him drop players regardless of their draft selection or pay cheque or whether we traded heavily for them.

His tactics and his moves have been good but his team selections don't reflect a coach driving high standards hard footy just yet.

IMO if Clarkson was coaching guys like McGovern and Dow would be in the 2s and Fisher and SPS would be on notice.

We need that hard arse coach who will drive a non-negotiable way of playing and this is one area where Teague needs to prove himself and it's probably why we are looking for a seasoned coach.

Crucial period in the development of the young players that we develop them this way from here on because this is one area we failed in with our last rebuild.
Teague hasn't driven club culture because he's not really in a position to do so as caretaker coach. Might be a weakness though.

If it is the club could certainly look at a Teague / Roos combo. Roos' reputation is built on the strength of the bloods culture he helped establish at Sydney.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Teaguea body of work:

4 games;2 wins,2 loses

Avg score 89pts
Scored 100 pts twice

Agree impressive, in last week’s loss to the Demons, no Patrick, Charlie, Harry, all marquee players, which makes his tenure progressive and very positive.
However I too think, it could well be Clarkson to head our coaching division, securing of Andrew Russell as director of high performance was not just a coincidence.

Zuribagger

Hopeful
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

Crippa will also play a role with telling the guys to toughen up. Played half a season with broken ribs two years back. Don’t underestimate the role of the co-captain as an example. Can’t do that from the coaches box.

My Hat

All Australian
Aug 18, 2018
My head
AFL Club
Carlton
He couldnt be doing a better job. Doing everything Bolton didn't do, including:

- Best players in best positions
- faster direct ball movement
- making moves within game

It highlights just how bad a coach Bolton was, comfortably the worst coach we have had.

Wouldn't say that about Bolton. It's clear now that he had some shortcomings, but it's also clear he built a pretty good foundation. You don't suddenly start playing like we have in the last month if you're fundamentally a rabble.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Teague hasn't driven club culture because he's not really in a position to do so as caretaker coach. Might be a weakness though.

If it is the club could certainly look at a Teague / Roos combo. Roos' reputation is built on the strength of the bloods culture he helped establish at Sydney.

Caretaker or not I think you still need to coach as you would if you were full time.

I'm finding it hard to get my head around Roos going back into coaching. Been out of the game too long. Maybe and as a coaching mentor, someone to play the bad cop.

There are a lot of things to look for in a coach, all I know it's important to have someone who is going to drive standards and effort and toughen our list up a bit.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
View attachment 702318

This picture paints a thousand words.
B937B012-16BA-469A-A1EC-E8E1782CFC62.jpeg

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Caretaker or not I think you still need to coach as you would if you were full time.

I'm finding it hard to get my head around Roos going back into coaching. Been out of the game too long. Maybe and as a coaching mentor, someone to play the bad cop.

There are a lot of things to look for in a coach, all I know it's important to have someone who is going to drive standards and effort and toughen our list up a bit.
Driving resilience etc. isn't a short term outcome. Maybe he is laying the groundwork for it, but regardless you won't see results any time soon.

IMO players drive culture & standards far better than coaches ever can anyway (while coaches are often given the credit). I'm certain Joel Selwood's arrival kicked the cats into gear, not whatever Thompson did. And while Roos gets the credit for Sydney's bloods culture, insiders say it was more driven by Maxfield.
That's what makes players like Walsh even more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back